white smoke and long crank first start of day

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
Hey all,
Picked up an 03 Jetta TDI a few weeks ago and like the title says for the first start of the day it takes about 10 seconds to turn over and a good amount of white smoke (almost positive its unburned diesel from the smell). After the car has been warmed up it starts right up. I've done some searching here and so far I've replaced the fuel filter, replaced the glow plugs but the issue still persists. No check engine light, no glow plug light, I've plugged in a code reader and it comes back with no faults. I have tried starting with the glow plug harness connected and disconnected and same results which makes me think it might be the harness? But at the same time it's not throwing any lights when i start without the harness connected. At this point i'm stumped.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Hey all,
Picked up an 03 Jetta TDI a few weeks ago and like the title says for the first start of the day it takes about 10 seconds to turn over and a good amount of white smoke (almost positive its unburned diesel from the smell). After the car has been warmed up it starts right up. I've done some searching here and so far I've replaced the fuel filter, replaced the glow plugs but the issue still persists. No check engine light, no glow plug light, I've plugged in a code reader and it comes back with no faults. I have tried starting with the glow plug harness connected and disconnected and same results which makes me think it might be the harness? But at the same time it's not throwing any lights when i start without the harness connected. At this point i'm stumped.

Your problem is typical of non working glow plugs.

Since you replaced the glow plugs I would suspect that you are not getting power to your glow plugs.
Use a "test light" to check wiring, fuses and relays for power.
Especially the fuse located on top of the battery.
A faulty coolant temp sensor (cts) is also a possibility.

see:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=79819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6mId0RIhIU
http://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/volkswagen/beetle/89-volkswagen-new-beetle-fuse-box-diagram.html

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The GP harness is known to have loose connections at the GP end.

I tried crimping mine way back but still got a code for the plugs.

After I replaced the harness it's been OK for 10+ years.

Others have posted to wrap a bit of aluminum foil around the GP pins & put the harness back on.

Your GP light does go on for a second when you turn the key on?
If you unplug the coolant sensor and turn the key on the GP light should stay on for 30 or so seconds. (iIrc :) )

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Could be a bad coolant temp sensor, although it would have to be pretty cold outside to get big puffs of white smoke because of it.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Glow plugs don't preglow unless it's below something like 45*.

You're symptoms are also typical of late timing as was suggested or could be you is getting air into the pump. Any evidence of fuel leakage from the pump top cover, QA/body joint or beneath the fuel lines?

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
Thanks all, out of town now, will try the few easy fixes when i get home and report back

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
Your problem is typical of non working glow plugs.

Since you replaced the glow plugs I would suspect that you are not getting power to your glow plugs.
Use a "test light" to check wiring, fuses and relays for power.
Especially the fuse located on top of the battery.
A faulty coolant temp sensor (cts) is also a possibility.

see:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=79819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6mId0RIhIU
http://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/volkswagen/beetle/89-volkswagen-new-beetle-fuse-box-diagram.html
Should i still go through these steps? No CEL and code reader isn’t detecting any thrown codes.

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
Yes, I would....it's pretty easy and costs nothing.
Ok so followed YouTube video...all 4 glow plugs light up with test light connected to positive terminal and all 4 ports of glowplug harness light up when connected to ground so I'm guessing it's not a glowplug or harness problem

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Advanced pump timing=easier starts, better mpg and less smoke.
Retarded pump timing = harder starts more smoke less mpg but more power.

If you don’t have a glow plug code your glow plugs are fine.

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
Advanced pump timing=easier starts, better mpg and less smoke.
Retarded pump timing = harder starts more smoke less mpg but more power.

If you don’t have a glow plug code your glow plugs are fine.
thanks....could retarded pump timing still be the case when it only happens on a cold engine start?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Cold would be the time it would start hardest in that scenario.

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
just an update....finally got a VAG-COM and confirmed very retarded timing...after about 15 adjustments i got it to the blue line....thanks again everyone for all the suggestions....looks like i just delayed my next glowplug replacement since i already replaced those!