prep for TB change on 2000 A4 TDI

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I said "touche", you know the fencing term indicating you scored on kok.

Dunno why he would think I'm touchy. I'm just waiting for him to justify his comments as you are.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I have no high horse, but what I do have is great clarity,
I see and foresee much more than nearly everyone around me, (yes, it pizz’s everyone off)
and attempting to clearly explain things to “educated” people……..
will test your ability to resist beating the living hell out of them
great clarity enables me to conceive a idea, see how it needs to be made, finished and used properly in my mind, it is not compartmental thought it is the entire project in the same thought
You were fortunate to gain real life experience before becoming a engineer, it made you a better engineer if you did not realize it
I still stand by my assessment of arrogant engineers, there are too many, as far as a sour taste …. that is just for the arrogant ones, the good ones make up for the difference
QC is a 50/50 deal, either it is done correctly, or it is not, when it is done correctly you can achieve 99% good quality - I’ve seen too many lazy people that refuse to just do their job correctly, it’s like “really people ! whats so difficult about just doing your job, you are getting paid to do it right”
Narcissism, hmm, is this dropnosky by any chance?

kokodog

TDI
Early '99 Jetta (A3) 2000 (A4) Jetta TDI
so you do not understand my rapier of wit …….

thats a shame, we could have fun thrusting and parrying back & forth

so once again too many here fail reading comprehension …….

I am typing this reply s-l-o-w-l-y so more can understand ………

remember there are good engineers and there are lousy arrogant engineers

The arrogance that the engineers exhibit is their assumption (ASS-U-ME makes a ass out of you and me) that everywhere a stretch bolt/stud is specified, it is assumed that the material into which the stretch bolt is placed it will be able to withstand the force placed upon it (in other words ….. the bolt will pull the threads out of the block)

a torque wrench is always at hand while working on my Jetta’s, I learned the hard way, damn hard !

Too often I have felt the “spongy feel” of a bolt failing or ripping threads from a bolt hole that is not a specified stretch bolt

you see, I am all too firmly rooted to real reality, I not only have a firm grasp of “cause and effect thinking” I always reject any and all “fantasy thinking”, there is nothing good resulting from it.

“Outside-the-box-thinking” is vastly different than “fantasy thinking”, “Outside-the-box-thinking” employs “cause and effect thinking” and “scientific principal thinking”, innovation comes with good “Outside-the-box-thinking”

someone had posted that a arrogant tech is worse than a arrogant engineer , but the post was removed, I feel compelled to address that thought …….

I have dealt with those “arrogant tech’s”, the last one was just about 2 years ago for state inspection, he was going to place the lift point under the jetta where there was a better than average chance of collapsing the slightly rusty rocker & floor up and then we would have spent many hours trying to put the floor back down where it belongs …….. I told him, “lets not and say we did” , another time about 20 years ago a arrogant old SOB was going to lift the jetta any old way he wished to put tires on it, I stopped him and said, “stop, I clearly cannot trust you, you do not know what you are doing, so there is no sale of tires or service”, I pulled out and never went back

its all about common sense people, it is something that has been lost and I seriously doubt that we will see a resurgence of it........ ever hear the phrase "think monkey think" (and no we are not descended from apes like they keep trying to tell us)

and W*F is a dropnosky ??

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can we stick to helping you along with the repairs/maintenance?
We're all different. That's actually a good thing.
I haven't had any trouble with stretchy bolts. Please at least replace the motor mount ones and be sure the IP pulley has already been replaced with gold/bronze colored ones.
For the cost I would replaced any that are called for.
And this business about automotive engineering is tired. I doubt there is a single person on here that is fully qualified on that topic. Many have some knowledge of what they're saying, but it seems pointless to me.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wow? You call the Engineering specifying the bolt arrogant. What do you call the guy who ASSumes, without justification, that the application will fail?

Did you ever stop to think, before opening your mouth, that the Engineer knew the properties of the material receiving the bolt before specifying the torque?

Apparently not.

Sorry Bob, I couldn't.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
And this business about automotive engineering is tired. I doubt there is a single person on here that is fully qualified on that topic. Many have some knowledge of what they're saying, but it seems pointless to me.
I'd beg to differ on this point, I only say this because I have done very many bolt load calculations for tooling, I've called out torque specs for many applications, especially with mismatched materials. You don't have to be an automotive engineer specifically to understand the calculations. It's what comes in the toolbox

Wow? You call the Engineering specifying the bolt arrogant. What do you call the guy who ASSumes, without justification, that the application will fail?

Did you ever stop to think, before opening your mouth, that the Engineer knew the properties of the material receiving the bolt before specifying the torque?

Apparently not.

Sorry Bob, I couldn't.
Lol I had a laugh at his point as well. You don't just design and callout a bolt without knowing what it's threading into...:D

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So you have part of the knowledge that goes into engineering that particular bit. It's fun discussing these sorts of things and machinists definitely have more knowledge than many, but what's the point? I mean how does it help the OP get his repair/maintenance done?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I'd beg to differ on this point, I only say this because I have done very many bolt load calculations for tooling, I've called out torque specs for many applications, especially with mismatched materials. You don't have to be an automotive engineer specifically to understand the calculations. It's what comes in the toolbox
Lol I had a laugh at his point as well. You don't just design and callout a bolt without knowing what it's threading into...:D
True dat.

kokodog

TDI
Early '99 Jetta (A3) 2000 (A4) Jetta TDI
What do you call the guy who ASSumes, without justification, that the application will fail?
not assumption, but one that understands and faces reality, it is not if it fails, but when it fails