AdBlue/DEF...

CalDrvr

TDI
Future Owner!
Flying J Service Plaza's have this fluid available at the pump in a lot of locations nationwide. They are adding locations almost daily...

Cost is around $2.75 per gallon.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Make sure it meets VW spec otherwise your emissions equipment will be destroyed!!!!!

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
DEF carries an API certification, not a VW spec. 40X40 is correct, DEF is DEF.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
May be a dumb question, but I'm still learning...

Would this be added to the fuel system just like an additive?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
May be a dumb question, but I'm still learning...

Would this be added to the fuel system just like an additive?
No. There is a separate tank for DEF.

Your 2010 Jetta doesn't use it. Do not add it to your fuel tank.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Sorry, i guess my sarcasm was a bit weak, i ment my comment as a joke.

But i'm sure someone here will state they get better MPGs or have to fill up the DFE less when using the stuff they bought at the dealer.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I figured there was some sarcasm in there... just covering bases in case noobs thought you were serious. :)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Look on the new class 8 vehicles(tractor trailer)-a fairly new Kenworth backed in next to me today and I noticed a tank w/ blue cap-cap had "DEF" imprinted on it,then I noticed the tank had "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" molded directly into tank just above cap-the fill cap was located about 2/3 of the way up from bottom on the side. Looks like tank would hold 20-25 gallons. Next time I see driver I'll ask him how often he fills it. I don't see any of those DEF pumps at smaller stations...yet.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Look on the new class 8 vehicles(tractor trailer)-a fairly new Kenworth backed in next to me today and I noticed a tank w/ blue cap-cap had "DEF" imprinted on it,then I noticed the tank had "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" molded directly into tank just above cap-the fill cap was located about 2/3 of the way up from bottom on the side. Looks like tank would hold 20-25 gallons. Next time I see driver I'll ask him how often he fills it. I don't see any of those DEF pumps at smaller stations...yet.
Been noticing alot more OTR trucks with DEF tanks.

Craneguru

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle (sold), 2014 BMW 328d
Paccar (Peterbilt & Kenworth) trucks come with either 9, 18, or 27 gallon DEF tanks based on total fuel capacity. The EPA mandate was that the DEF tank be sized such that it had a minimum capacity to allow two full fuel fill-ups for every DEF fill-up. The original estimations were based on 5% DEF usage relative to diesel consumed. Actual usage is closer to 2% DEF on Cummins powered units. Thus they can come closer to filling up the DEF tank every third fill-up with diesel. However, keep in mind that DEF dosing is not linear and could vary based on levels of NOx produced.

With regards to the comment that DEF is DEF is DEF, most folks don't know how true that is. DEF is comprised of 32.5% Urea and 67.5% deionized water. Nothing else. Approximately 1 tablespoon of contaminant will corrupt a batch of 4800 gallons of DEF to the point that is no longer pure enough to meet the ISO 22241-1 requirements.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Paccar (Peterbilt & Kenworth) trucks come with either 9, 18, or 27 gallon DEF tanks based on total fuel capacity. The EPA mandate was that the DEF tank be sized such that it had a minimum capacity to allow two full fuel fill-ups for every DEF fill-up. The original estimations were based on 5% DEF usage relative to diesel consumed. Actual usage is closer to 2% DEF on Cummins powered units. Thus they can come closer to filling up the DEF tank every third fill-up with diesel. However, keep in mind that DEF dosing is not linear and could vary based on levels of NOx produced.

With regards to the comment that DEF is DEF is DEF, most folks don't know how true that is. DEF is comprised of 32.5% Urea and 67.5% deionized water. Nothing else. Approximately 1 tablespoon of contaminant will corrupt a batch of 4800 gallons of DEF to the point that is no longer pure enough to meet the ISO 22241-1 requirements.
Thanks for the info!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
:pYes...it's just you...DEF, per mile, is very cheap. If you only use a sealed container, and fill the DEF tank properly, there's little chance for contamination.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Would the system know if you filled the DEF tank with distilled water...?
You better believe it.

I have a digital DEF refractometer for verifying DEF quality. There is a range that the urea needs to be maintained within, and YES the car will know.

Off the top of my head, the minimum is 31% maximum 34% by volume.

This will vary slightly as the water in the tank evaporates, if the solution becomes too strong (34%) this can overload the catalyst.

Mercedes requires that the tank be purged and re-filled every 2 years regardless of mileage. The reason is the water can evaporate and throw off the solutions balance.

I use the digital refractometer to keep the solution at 32.5 and avoid having to blindly dump the system in case my consumption is low. I will add de-ionized water to bring the solution back down to 32.5% and press on.

Truck stops are installing the pumps at the fuel pumps now. I topped off a few months ago, price per gallon was less than windshield solvent, and I used less DEF than I do window washer solution...Approx 1300 miles per gallon on the ML average over this past summer.

$13 for 5 gallons and change...

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I read somewhere (??) that temp sensors or O2 sensors pick up on the effect of DEF in the NOx system. So if you put water in, it knows it.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
how will the system *know*that DEF is not present?
There is a NOx sensor right after the SCR, it will know immediately that DEF is not in the system by virtue of elevated NOx output.