The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I drove it home for the first time.

1992 1Z Syncro B3 Wagon

I bought the syncro wagon last fall. I had a TDI B4 sitting around that became the perfect donor.

- CTN geared O2C
- B4 HVAC
- Moon Roof
- OBD2 VR ABS
- Factory Keyless Entry
- DE's
- Wired for OEM fogs, but I'm going to put lights up on the basket
- Stage 3 w/Dynamic EGR Malone tune and Bosio PP520 nozzles go in after the DP/exhaust is finished and the EGR cooler is back on

Sweet - what kind of mileage are you getting?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Filled up the B4, 880 miles, 17.9 gallons. 49.2 MPG. A little more highway this tank, but at 75+ MPH. Despite what he would describe as insane speeds, the Jack MPG legacy lives on!

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Passed state inspection with no issues. I like it when that happens. There are little things I want to do still, but its good to know there are no "have to do"'s right now.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Passed state inspection with no issues. I like it when that happens. There are little things I want to do still, but its good to know there are no "have to do"'s right now.
Here here! Yup, story of my life. My first B4 has been off the road since September for a cracked windshield, the rust around which I plan on addressing soon. I still take it out, just at night:rolleyes:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Got my spare head back Tuesday. I had it rebuilt, then ported. Looks nice and clean. Only took .002 of the surface to clean it up. All new valves, new guides, springs, and retainers. It goes on the shelf for now. In a couple of months, I'll send the block out to be cleaned up. Don't think it will require a rebore, I can still see the crosshatch pattern on the cylinder walls. But think I want new pistons anyway, just to ensure a very long life. Not sure about fresh rods. Leaning towards it just because I will not have to touch them again - no matter what turbo I put on it.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Added some aero-mods and found a "rear belly pan" at a local junk yard. I'll keep you guys updated on if it bumps up my mpg.

I'm hoping so, since my rear bumper wont be acting as a "parachute" so much anymore.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
1992 1Z Syncro B3 Wagon
Stage 3 w/Dynamic EGR Malone tune and Bosio PP520 nozzles go in after the DP/exhaust is finished and the EGR cooler is back on
You sure it's a 1Z? AHU had egr coolers and 1Z didn't also your injection pump looks like a AHU.

No cooler on my 1Z, actually since we don't get tested for emissions here on diesels, what's an egr :)

Got some goodies mounted on my B4

Also a sneak peak at the new shoes.

Yeah i know heavy wheels... Not really. 18lbs forged 3 piece isn't too bad.

Sent from USS Enterprise

Big Daddy Roth

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 B3 Syncro 1Z, 1992 B3 Syncro AAZ, 1992 B3 Syncro AAA
It's a 1Z from a Canadian model 97 B4.

I park it right beside my other two syncro B3's here in Canada.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Supposedly, but there is conflicting information. I talked to the guys at DFIS and they claim no difference at all in the pumps internally, but others on here have claimed an additional 1K PSI output pressure. Since the ribbed pumps are a newer model, I assume they added the ribs for a reason. They said they are a direct swap and my B4V is running a ribbed pump replaced 70K ago because it was leaking :eek:.

That being said, the original smooth cased IP on my '97 B4 (AHU) is still purring right along with 435K on it and it's only been resealed once at 386K. I have a ribbed case IP with 133K I'm going to toss on at the next timing belt change in 6K. Not sure how much difference it'll make since I'm still running the original turbo as well, but I'll let you know.

Last edited:

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Added some more aero mods underneath my car. I'll report with any updates on fuel economy improvements.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I've been wanting some clamp on roof racks for the wagon, but they're expensive. I have a knack for finding things (people place orders with me) and came across a set in the junkyard, attached to a Subaru.

So I was able to pick up the whole works for $5 (I love that junkyard). I had to break the locks, so I ordered a new set of 6 and now I have $75 total into the rack. I have Thule for the sedans, but the bike, ski, snowboard, and pod attachments will fit these as well, so I'm happy.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Last weekend I drove from Toronto to Grand Rapids and back, mileage dropped somewhat due to the bikes on the roof. This puppy runs real nice. Had the AC charged before we left and it works perfect.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I went to a hitch rack or this very reason and the mileage barely suffers now.
Hitch rack... Reminds me of when our kids were small and we had two bikes on a bike rack attached to the bumper of our 1977 Honda Accord. Going up a long grade we heard a big BANG. Turned out one of the bike tires was very close to the tail pipe and had exploded from the heat and pressure.

The Turtle

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4 Passat wagon, SpeedTuning chip, 360,000+ miles, 1996 B4V, 306,000 miles on original engine
Hitch rack... Reminds me of when our kids were small and we had two bikes on a bike rack attached to the bumper of our 1977 Honda Accord. Going up a long grade we heard a big BANG. Turned out one of the bike tires was very close to the tail pipe and had exploded from the heat and pressure.
Yeah, had that happen with an old Saab with a rack on the back. Had to sit in traffic for a while, and the front tire just overheated and blew out.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Put $75.00 worth of diesel at $3.799 per gallon sometime last week and added fuel to day at $3.859 to top off the tank right to the rim. 45.2xx mpg for 28.92 gallons of diesel.

One issue seems to be new for the last 5 fill ups. It "seems" I need a very low setting on the diesel nozzle to keep the fuel flowing. Yes, I did a ventectomy years ago. Am I just imagine things, or has anyone else had this issue? I used to be able to run the fuel hose on the first setting, then after 17 or 18 gallons it would click off and I would have to "nurse" the next 8 gallons to totally fill the tank. Now, I have to nurse the whole fill up by holding the nozzle throttle on very low. No Idea what has changed. This is at multiple stations.

We do not have winter diesel in Southern California,

Thinking about trying this Dodge/Cumming solution: http://www.diesel-max.com/ventkitarticle/ or this :

http://www.diesel-max.com/store-pro...kit-Long-Bed-Fuel-Tank-Vent-Kit_23095779.html

Anyone tried this or have observations?

Thanks

Last edited:

cheeze you

TDI
99.5 Stage 3 Golf TDI (VNT 17), MKVI JSW TDI.
Got my first B4 TDI yesterday.

The mkiv golf TDI is mine and the JSW TDI is my dads. I guess you could say it runs in the family lol.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Some new shinny bits for engine bay and outside of my B4.

Drivers side intercooler pipe. Kind of a pita to install unless you remove the battery. Has a bung for the intake air temp sensor on it like factory.

Some new shinny shoes.
Sent from USS Enterprise

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
On Saturday I changed the coolant in the wagon. When I bought the car, the previous owner gave me all the extra fluids that go with the car, which included T6, some Power Service, some CHF-11S, and a nearly new bottle of G12. When I inspected the car I noticed it had 'evil green' coolant in it and asked if she added the VW coolant, and she said she had.

I kept an eye on it on the way home to make sure it wouldn't overheat, and it ran fine. The coolant still had the green color so I knew she hadn't added much.

The thermostat was also running a little low, operating from 180° to 197°F, with the normal temp at about 187°. While it was fine, it was lower than I'd like to see, so I decided that since I had to change the coolant, I'd change the thermostat, and since I was changing the thermostat, I'd change the crusty looking metal coolant pipe. This developed a leak on the wife's B4 and I didn't want to deal with it later. And, since I was doing all that, I thought I'd add a little personality and toss on a new looking VR-6 coolant bottle (free from the local junkyard), which is slightly larger than the TDI.

The coolant was a darker green color with swirls of dark G12 that never fully mixed, and definitely not right. It was still fluid and had not settled into a mess since I don't think enough was added to create it, but I flushed the system well with hot water to make sure it was cleaned out.

The thermostat I used was a Stant 238 from NAPA, which was about 1/3 the cost of one from anywhere else and I've had good luck with Stant, not so much with Wahler. The old 87°C thermostat was from 2006, probably when they switched to the 'evil green' coolant. The PO had owned the car since 2001.

When taking apart the metal coolant pipe, I noticed someone forgot a bolt.

There wasn't one missing anywhere, so I just removed it. This isn't the first time I've found stuff like this (sometimes in the head), and it amazes me people who work on cars would move on and just replace the stuff that goes missing. If it went missing, it when missing somewhere, and it needs to be found. When I am working on a car and drop a screw or bolt, all work stops until all parts are accounted for. It's also one of the reasons I am a huge proponent of the magnetic trays.

The metal pipe was missing the bracket on for the IP, so I'll have to cut the old one off and weld it on later.

I had to put on another power steering pump belt bolt because someone obviously hasn't a CLUE as to how to tension the belt properly. When I say someone, I mean someone at a garage or stealership, since that is who worked on the car, the OP didn't even change her own oil (but did supply it and the filter for others to change). Otherwise it went off without a hitch. I flushed the system with hot water, purged it with air, and then refilled with G12. The operating temperature is now 198°F, varies between 193° and 212° on my Scangauge and the cluster gauge still stays in the same place.

I gave the engine another washing after I was done.

Then on Sunday I changed out the serpentine tensioner to reduce the bounce, and now I have a startup squeak, so I'll change out the harmonic balancer and toss on a new roller while I'm at it. All my other B4's have belts that simply do not move at all, as they shouldn't. I have also ordered an AOD pulley for the alternator and will change it when I toss on the new alternator since this one is throwing a intermittent code. The voltage drops to 13.5 when it's raining or when I wash the engine, so it has an internal problem. From the PO's numerous records it was throwing the code ever since the stealership replaced it with a new one many years ago and several attempts to 'correct' it since then involved just clearing the code, which doesn't reappear right away. While it does throw a code, it does not illuminate the CEL and charges the battery fine, but I'll fix it so it's correct.

Other than that, it's been great and the last tank yielded just over 50 mpg at 1,221 miles, and I still had a few gallons left. I have a rear wheel bearing noise I will address this week, toss on some new front brake pads, a new driver's side parking brake cable, new rear strut boots (I was happy to see the fairly new Bilstein TC's), and maybe flush the brake system while I'm in there.

Then I get to replace all the front control arm bushings and swaybar end links.

Never a dull day with a B4.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Did a shift linkage adj on "I-Red' before heading to Berlin. 1st gear engagement was increasingly difficult and after her last Camry loaner duty was near impossible. Sprinta says I should try to find a local Junk-yard for some used E-codes here before heading back accross the pond. I'm here working so off time is slim though. Any leads?