RCD-510 or RNS-510 Speed Dependant Volume Control

sportriderseattle

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr, 6-speed manual, sunroof, CWP, Votex kit, roof spoiler, 35 tint
Is anyone using the Speed Dependent Volume in your MKVI stereo? Mine apparently does not work. I've moved that slider all the way to the right, which should make it when I reach freeway speeds, the volume should increase to offset the additional noise, and in turn it should turn down the volume when I come to a stop. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I've had one other car with this feature (Ford Focus) and it worked and it was a clear distinction.

eggspoogas

TDI
2010 Jetta
Yea I have the rcd-510 and it seems to change sometimes and then sometimes nothing. It also resets randomly and I have no clue to what causes that. The radio needs some type of update to fix these issues.

sflier

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2013 Toareg TDI LUX
Mine also only works sometimes. The volume seems to change when I open a window. I wonder if it factors in both speed and external noise. I'm not clear on how it works or what the slider is actually supposed to represent.

sportriderseattle

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr, 6-speed manual, sunroof, CWP, Votex kit, roof spoiler, 35 tint
sflier said:
Mine also only works sometimes. The volume seems to change when I open a window. I wonder if it factors in both speed and external noise. I'm not clear on how it works or what the slider is actually supposed to represent.
according to the owner's manual, it's simply suppose to increase volume with the speed not by the noise. I do wonder what they have it connected to which would allow it to know when speed increases/decreases? Maybe it was not hooked up in mine.

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
Mine has a mind of it's own. Sometime when I get in the car in the morning it's blasting quite loud until I start moving and it realizes I'm not travelling at freeway speeds. Other times it resets itself so the slider is all the way to to the right.

I think they need to do a software revision and fixt it.

sflier

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2013 Toareg TDI LUX
sportriderseattle said:
according to the owner's manual, it's simply suppose to increase volume with the speed not by the noise. I do wonder what they have it connected to which would allow it to know when speed increases/decreases? Maybe it was not hooked up in mine.
Although it says that the volume increases with speed, it doesn't say "how" it does that. I'm thinking it senses speed via increased noise. Although it's possible that it hooks into a speed sensor on the vehicle, it seems more likely it has a self-contained microphone and reacts to changes in sound. Mine definately changes volume when I open a window. Maybe the sound level of these cars doesn't increase enough at speed to make much of a difference. Anyone know for sure how the radio senses an increase in "speed"?

brg126

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I have my Speed Dependent Volume on full, but have never noticed anything.... that is until I used my iPod the other day. I listen to Sirius almost exclusively, and never notice it on that. When I used my iPod I suddenly noticed it. Perhaps it is also source dependent?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I agree that mine also seems to have a mind of its own. I set it while on my trip to Florida and it worked fine. Now, running around town, it doesn't seem to make much difference. Unless my daughter is playing with the buttons again. bad enough that she has to adjust the seat every time she wants to drive but now if shes adjusting the radio too.....

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
haha, the other day i had to reset mine to halfway and as i turned off the car, go do my thing. I come back to the car turn it on and the stereo turns on blasting as if i was at speed, then as i ease the clutch out and go, the volume returns to normal. oh man this HU has some funky software issues

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
sflier said:
Although it says that the volume increases with speed, it doesn't say "how" it does that. I'm thinking it senses speed via increased noise. Although it's possible that it hooks into a speed sensor on the vehicle, it seems more likely it has a self-contained microphone and reacts to changes in sound. Mine definately changes volume when I open a window. Maybe the sound level of these cars doesn't increase enough at speed to make much of a difference. Anyone know for sure how the radio senses an increase in "speed"?
The radio gets the speed of the vehicle via the CAN bus, at least on the RNS-510. You can verify this by enabling the test menu and viewing the inputs, you can watch the speed of the vehicle change. It gets a wealth of information via the CAN bus, such as the gear shift selector position (For use with a backup camera)

I would imagine this is the same on the RCD-510. I have SCV enabled, though it doesn't make the radio much louder, I can hear it lower the volume if I decelerate very quickly.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
dpg said:
haha, the other day i had to reset mine to halfway and as i turned off the car, go do my thing. I come back to the car turn it on and the stereo turns on blasting as if i was at speed, then as i ease the clutch out and go, the volume returns to normal. oh man this HU has some funky software issues
new owner here - whew, I thought it was just my 2010 JSW. The RNS-510 software seems to be a complete mess - including this problem, as I too can't get Speed Dependant Volume to work with any kind of consistency. My 2007 Mazda has it, and it is flawless.
Volkswagen should be a little embarrased about this