Radiator cooling fan and A/C questions

Grovrr

TDI
06 NB PCK 2
06 NB DSG with 5k on it. I have never seen the small radiator fan turn on. I let the car idle for about 20min today in 100 degree heat with the A/C off. This was after driving about 15 miles in traffic. The fan never came on. The A/C works great and is cold but it has been doing this weird thing were when I stop at a light, about 10 seconds later the fan speed (interior) will drop down and then come back up. This is followed by a burst of very cool air. I assume this is the big cooling fan turning on and sucking a bunch of power causing the interior fan to slow down? Is this normal? How often does the small radiator fan kick on when driving in high temps in traffic? I assume that if the small fan is not working then I have not overheated since the A/C is on all the time?? This is my first TDI so I am not sure what is normal and what should make me call the evil dealer...

TurBoLover

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI w/ 164000
From my previous experience (not with TDI's) it doesn't take much speed to keep the fan from kicking on. If your driving around town 20-30 mph, there's enough air moving through the radiator to cool it.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
In my expierence, the car has to sit idleing for 35-40 mins before the fan will kick on. And it will only run for 10 secconds or so. Remember, the TDI doesn't make anywhere the 'waste heat' as a comparable gas engine.

-Jason

Grovrr

TDI
06 NB PCK 2
Thanks guys, I guess that does make sense about the radiator fan. What do you all think about the blower fan(inside) dropping in speed and then coming back up every time the A/C cooling fan kicks on? Is that pretty much normal too? I have never run A/C in a car this much. Last time I used the A/C was back up in WA state where the weather never gets above 80 tops...