turbo fails under hard acceleration

rice rocketeer

TDI
2002 Golf 2dr 1 owner/driver car (only options is Cruz and A/C) 2014 Passat Highline
My turbo fails under hard acceleration. When I turn my car off, then on again it works. It has 32k on it and the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. I am now taking my car in for the third time, but now that I put an after market cd player they say they can't put it on the scope??? This is my first time writing something on TDI club, please someone help!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
What you seem to have is a turbo control problem. It should have left a code in your computer that the dealer should have read. See the TDIFAQ at: http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-8.html#e . One person at least has claimed that a clogged manifold can do this. A 2000 at 32k miles shouldn't do this. Is your warranty still good?

As far as the diagnostic thing goes, if the aftermarket stereo isn't hooked up correctly the diagnostic computer could get fried. That was the way it used to be. I would think they would have something to check first to see if there was a problem or have a safety built in. Maybe you need to go to another dealer.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
what do you mean by fail? if it will not axcelerate past 120 kmph, or just acts like it hit a brick wall and you haven't had your EGR set down your problem is well know...

what we know here in s'toon, is that if you do a lot of city driving, and don't get enough running out in the country, you will get enough of a buildup of soot on the turbo gear that opens and closes the position of the blades. in essence they stick, and won't move, and as a result your don't seem to have the performance you were once acustomed to. Solution, run it on the highway, try and avoid the local patrols, and keep pushing up against the upper barrier, my friend says it took 30 trys including switching of ignition in between to finally free it up, the alternative is to get the dealer to replace the turbo...

[ February 04, 2003, 08:40: Message edited by: santacll ]

jo6pak

have to get yourself a vag-com-
if you can post on the internet- you can learn to use the vag-com-

Dubdad

Originally posted by rice rocketeer:
My turbo fails under hard acceleration. When I turn my car off, then on again it works. It has 32k on it and the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. I am now taking my car in for the third time, but now that I put an after market cd player they say they can't put it on the scope??? This is my first time writing something on TDI club, please someone help!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Dubdad

Hi Rice

I had exactly same problem, dealer first replaced MAF (under warranty) with no sucess then 4 days later I TOLD him to put a new N75 valve in (after having read this brilliant forum!) and hey no more problem; car actually feels quicker off the mark too! That cost me $145 Cdn. He also solved an irrating whislting which sounded like turbo whine--turned out to be my new Michelin Artic Alpin snow tires on wet roads. Put the Longbeach's back on and no more noise. The foreman was amazing cos he noticed a feint rumbling thru the tranny, so a week later they fitted two new driveshafts under warranty. Now its all nice and smoooooth.

rice rocketeer

TDI
2002 Golf 2dr 1 owner/driver car (only options is Cruz and A/C) 2014 Passat Highline
Thanks for all the help guys. For those of you that wanted more specific details, every time I go up steep hills or just accelerate full throttle through the gears, its like an sudden loss of power. I pull over and listen for the turbo spool revving it in neutral, nothing, I turn the car off and then on and the turbo spool is back. The dealer says it has to happen when they are driving it to find out what the problem is, but I couldn't make it happen when the mechanic was with me for the life of me.