Road trip distance?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
My Variant is not doing too good(turbo vacuum leaks), otherwise I would have been traveling :eek: .

As the weather gets better, we all tend to get the famous "ants in the pants" feeling. It is a GREAT opportunity to have that "seat of the pants" feeling with a TDI, isn't it? :D
All that foward thrust, know what I mean...?

To all that WILL be traveling the mountains, take the TDI off cruise control, otherwise you will be catching and bumping slower vehicles before you know it!

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
In 1979, we made a round trip from Prince George, to Nova Scotia in a 1977 VW Rabbit diesel towing a tent trailer. There were two adults and two teenagers. Round trip distance was 9700miles and we covered it in 7 days each way. We got over 30MPG (US). It was quite an adventure to pass anyone. You will notice that it didn't put me off Volkswagens.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
In the summer of 2008 our family went to California and Mcbride,B.C. in a diesel rv. It got 11 mpg. when we ran good quality diesel in it. We stopped in Greenburg,Kansas. We did a little over 8,000 miles.

Last edited:

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
coffeefor2 said:
What's the definition of a road trip? Any time I get in the car NOT for business purposes, that includes the commute to and from every day.:mad:

Since I bought my Jetta, I tend to take the long way almost every time I go out for any reason except work. Hell, I've been know to take my camera or one of the dogs and just.......... drive :D for hours.

I help the Cub and Boy scouts in town. If there is a camping trip, trip to the zoo, I don't care the reason, I'm the first to put my hand high in the air when they ask for drivers.

This summer we are planning the "Big Road Trip". :eek: We are leaving from Virginia, going the south route to Yellowstone, then to Montana (Brother's wedding), and the north route back home again. Three weeks of road trip!! :cool: The only bummer, I cann't take the Jetta :( all 4 kids are coming and it's a little tight fitting 6 people in it. We're taking, as my wife has dubed it, "The big giant van." I need to convert this thing over to diesel!:rolleyes:
drive a vanagon or microbus.

Highker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW Man Pano sunroof
Reasons for a road trip? How about that itch to see how well the new TDI does in MPGs? Accepted an offer to spend a couple days near Paso Robles, CA in a beautiful home surrounded by oaks and a fish stocked pond on 5 acres. Got 41.8mpg, 1st time over 40, and 602.9 miles for a tank of D2. Yeah, that was a great road trip, especially babying it to get it past 600 miles. Looking forward to many more and longer, but like a first kiss, I'll always remember this one.:p

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Leaving for the last Roswell NM New Beetle weekend on June 20. Made the trip twice before in my 2.0, this will be a first for the TDI.

This spring, went to the OBX twice, and PA Dutch country a ton of times.

BobM

TDI
none
kgirlbug2k said:
Leaving for the last Roswell NM New Beetle weekend on June 20. Made the trip twice before in my 2.0, this will be a first for the TDI.

This spring, went to the OBX twice, and PA Dutch country a ton of times.
I'm new, so don't know about these Roswell, NM weekends. Do they ever coincide with the opening of the "Trinity" site? We went (VW-less) to Roswell and the Trinity site last spring. It was awesome.:)

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Oh, this is something that has been going on for decade, it started with the New Beetle Topica list... we usually go in June, and this is the last one...
We have some folks coming from Indiana, and riding in our caravan..if you want to come, we would love to have more.
http://return2roswell.org/
http://allpodsgotoroswell.net/
If you look through some prior year photos and see a black bug with a PIP rack pulling various trailers, that's my Rodney.

BobM

TDI
none
kgirlbug2k said:
Oh, this is something that has been going on for decade, it started with the New Beetle Topica list... we usually go in June, and this is the last one...
We have some folks coming from Indiana, and riding in our caravan..if you want to come, we would love to have more.
http://return2roswell.org/
http://allpodsgotoroswell.net/
If you look through some prior year photos and see a black bug with a PIP rack pulling various trailers, that's my Rodney.
Thanks for answering me! I visited these two sites and spent half the night reading them. My wife and I visited Roswell last year and went to the spring openhouse at the Trinity Site (Where the first atom bomb was exploded.). I haven't made it very far on the above sites, but I'm still reading!:)

BobM

TDI
none
kgirlbug2k said:
Hey, if you want to go too, we would love company! The Eastern Caravan so far is 2 Silver Arrow TDIs and 2 Uni Black 2.0s. :)
I'd LOVE to join in with you. HOWEVER life has intervened!The wife and I are BOTH laid off due to the Chrysler bankruptcy and will probably be called back to work for the first time next week.:confused: I kinda doubt that they would grant us vacation that soon!:rolleyes:
'Sides we need to find our NB! But thanks for the invite. We will probably be pestering everyone on the forum as we search.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
BobM said:
I'd LOVE to join in with you. HOWEVER life has intervened!The wife and I are BOTH laid off due to the Chrysler bankruptcy and will probably be called back to work for the first time next week.:confused: I kinda doubt that they would grant us vacation that soon!:rolleyes:
'Sides we need to find our NB! But thanks for the invite. We will probably be pestering everyone on the forum as we search.
Now that FIAT has intervened..., you could probably drive to Roswell in a new FIAT TDI ??????
(same style VW engines made in Poland)

vwdav

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
2000 Golf TDI ... diesel & caffeine ... heading home ... Albuquerque to Baltimore straight ... Two time zones ... two buddies ... life hasn't been the same since = )

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Here are a couple road trips from me. I just did 3000 miles from WY to LA and back to pick up a side car for my Harley. Cheaper to pickup then ship with a VW diesel. Wife and I tag teamed the driving. Left at 1:30 pm Friday and got back 6 pm Sunday. Earlier in the month my father go in a bike wreck. So 750 miles to Nevada, 1500 to get to MN all in one shot rest a couple days and come home to WY again 750 miles. Almost every 3 day weekend (since I have very little vacation being new to the job) I go to MN and back in the 3 days (750 miles each way). Spring break in 08 I took my rabbit car From Eastern SD to Vancouver BC to Ski, then down to Mid CA and back in one week. In 07 I took my VW truck from WY to MN to get married and then over to the North east coastal states and then back to WY in 9 days.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
WAY too many miles...
Way too young to know better? It is OK. get your moving while you have the vitality for that or anything...:rolleyes: !

Keep the Diesel moving, that is what they were made for, correct?

Keep moving and see the country(ies), that is there available for you.

magmadev

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
Cross country trip completed between 8.16-21 with little bro & mom.Started in Nassau, NY (home) to San Diego, CA (school). Total miles: ~3200 which included side trips to WV Mtns, Rocky Mtn Nat Park and Arches Nat Park.

The ride was epic, and the best part was a call I received from my mom yesterday (they flew back from SD), saying that she misses the Golf and the smelly diesel.

0.5 off

TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Black on Black
My first drive was a road trip. Bought a 2005 Passat GLS TDI on e-bay from a dealer in Las Vegas (doing my part to help the U.S. economy) and found a cheap flight arriving at 6pm. Picked up the car and left for Cedar City Utah arriving at 11pm. Drove to Great Falls Montana the next day and then home to Saskatoon Saskatchewan the day after. 1550 miles total. When I arrived home and looked around in the trunk I found out that there was no jack! I did find a condom however (not used). I think the previous owner knew about the balance shaft issue in these cars and it was their way of telling me I was now screwed.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Condom's, good!

:eek: Options:
1. Attach condom to the exhaust and inflate, remove tire from car, replace new/better tire, deflate condom. Re-use if necessary(for this only!)
2. Insert hands into condom to do work on car, keeps hands clean and if in case of a cut, will keep you NON-infected...

Didn't you now that these things can save your life when "screwed" on the side of the road?

rkskeet

TDI
Moved to a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium from a 2012 Jetta TDI Manual 6 Speed
Recently took my 09 Jetta TDI on a vacation trip from Pa to Ma to Pa... Gone 10 days and total miles up and back with travel while in Ma were 1,580.. Averaged approx 47.5 combined highway+city driving... Came back to Pa from Ma (approx 520 miles) using 3/4 of a tank of fuel... Really impressed with the performance for both mpg, ride and cost of fuel for the trip..... Cheers.....

Last edited:

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I drive from my home in south western Maine to Maria QC in my 02 Jetta quite often and it's exactly 500 miles door to door it's so nice to drive all the way there and almost all the way back on 1 tank of diesel. It's also nice that I don't have to buy diesel in Canada!

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
What is up with the Diesel in Canada, more expensive than the US stuff?

It is BEAUTIFUL not to have to stop for fuel, I love it!
(2-B4 Variant owner, and a Citroen 1.9 n/a, wish it had some boost in it...)

Coconut Andy

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI
ScorpionBoy said:
any trip to the liquor store.
WINNER!

But I take the scenic route now that i got a TDI.

I'm about to embark on the first trip in my 2010 Sportwagen. since its just a 2 hour drive I'll call it "stretching her legs". just enough room between me and there to let this stallion GALLOP!!

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Coconut Andy said:
WINNER!

But I take the scenic route now that i got a TDI.

I'm about to embark on the first trip in my 2010 Sportwagen. since its just a 2 hour drive I'll call it "stretching her legs". just enough room between me and there to let this stallion GALLOP!!
"STRETCHING THE LEGS" on a new TDI ? You will have to drive about 35K to get that done right...

Don't forget to VARY the RPM's and power demand on the new TDI, DO NOT "baby it", this way the rings will seat better(but you probably know that by now...)

:cool: A nice new car smell with new car around it? Bet it is nice!

ccs32

Veteran Member
TDI
blue '02 Jetta
My wife and I cruised ~2400 miles (round trip) from Buffalo, NY to Tulsa, OK and back. Our 6 month old child loved the ride in our '02 Jetta - he cried 2 times through both 17 hours trips (17 hours each way). We had no idea that people smoke ciggs inside gas stations... That was a surprise!!

We made 1000 miles of this trip on WVO in our 2 tank system (with more mods than space to write about...) and a Rolla collapsible roof top cargo carrier to boot. Damn I love our TDI - it affords us freedom to drive when ever we want. We actually HAD to stop a couple of times... Just because we were in the car for too long without having to fill up!!

I did notice that cruise control does not help gas mileage going up and down hills.

! am looking forward to the trip to Jacksonville, Fl this holiday... I think that it is roughly the same distance, but I cannot find any WVO for this trip. Regardless... I get 3 times the gas mileage that I get in the Beast (Montero - old school with four wheel drive and center locking diff PERFECT for Bflo blizzards!!).

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
ccs32: "We had no idea that people smoke ciggs inside gas stations... That was a surprise!!"

I got to a small town in Eastern Arizona in this last trip that I been writing about(above), and there was this woman LEANING ON THE GAS PUMP SMOKING A CIGARETTE and not thinking anything wrong about it when I brought this to her attention.
She told me to mind my own business, figure THAT!