VW cuts launch base price $2,000 for 2015 Golf (for a limited time)

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Very few consumers will know or care about the suspension design. I would take a 3k savings for the simple and effective twist beam. That would more than cover upgraded springs and koni shocks.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Buying according to a feature list isn't the greatest idea anyway. Would you rather have a '60s Alfa with a solid axle, or a Triumph Spitfire with IRS? Doesn't hurt to wait for the road tests, if you can find someone writing them who isn't awed by lists of features and can actually evaluate a car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Buying according to a feature list isn't the greatest idea anyway. Would you rather have a '60s Alfa with a solid axle, or a Triumph Spitfire with IRS? Doesn't hurt to wait for the road tests, if you can find someone writing them who isn't awed by lists of features and can actually evaluate a car.
I don't understand the problem. :eek:

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Very few drivers will ever drive so hard and fast that they would benefit from the "better suspension". But almost everybody can benefit from saving 3k!

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Twist Beam GTD

Very few consumers will know or care about the suspension design. I would take a 3k savings for the simple and effective twist beam. That would more than cover upgraded springs and koni shocks.
Use the twist beam on GTD.
Use the $$$ savings to pay to import the GTD engine (are you listening Michael Horn).
Twist beam packaging will alllow use of already engineered for North America urea tank and still keep the spare tire.
Twist beam could have some merits.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
... and then sell 600 cars for the whole year and get it canned for the next MY with the bean-counters calling it a failure...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Honestly, I think VAG's best bet for bringing a GTD engine to the US would be in an S3 TDI or something of that nature (although the S3 typically gets the same engine as the Golf R (and the A3 3.2 was a regular model), so maybe it'd be an A3 TDI S-line or something. The higher price point helps, and the US-spec A3 (except in plug-in hybrid form) being a sedan also helps (more room to put the urea tank out of the way of the suspension).

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Use the twist beam on GTD.
Use the $$$ savings to pay to import the GTD engine (are you listening Michael Horn).
Twist beam packaging will alllow use of already engineered for North America urea tank and still keep the spare tire.
Twist beam could have some merits.
Car has been killed. All kinds of press reports fro NY auto show and others.....

Vaporware. No more dreaming.....

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
There's plenty of the Jetta S 2.0 that I see.

Now, the Jetta Base 2.0, which isn't listed on the VW website, and has AC and radio delete? THOSE are what's incredibly rare.
The Jetta S and Jetta base are two different models. The Jetta base is an order only model. They are rare because most people don't want to wait for that cheap of a model. Most people will do one of several things - get the Jetta S, shop a different brand, not buy a car.

The price for the Golf still hasn't come down as much as I expected/would like. And no 2 door TDI at this point. While I like all the electronic goodies, it is hard to justify the entry price (for what I want) considering what I do with the car.

Jason

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
VW needs to focus on selling 31k Golf high line TDIs in Canada before worrying about GTDs.....so if a high line is 31k the a GTD is 35?? Yep big market for a 35k golf when I can go to my Benz dealer and buy a pretty cool Benz for 35k.....so I have to Settle for a 23k babes TDI with NO cruise......ridiculous on a highway minded car.....for 23k+ 2 k f and pdi + 13 percent tax.....like nearly. 30 k out the door for a car with no cruise.....c'mon guys where does the stupidity end?

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
30 k out the door for a car with no cruise.....c'mon guys where does the stupidity end?
Even the dealer I spoke to about it is wondering Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. They did tell me however that it is available as a (dealer installed?) add-on for $250.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's the German way. Over plan and under deliver.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It doesn't really add up that both the smaller fuel tank and a torsion beam rear suspension are due to the adblue.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
You gotta love diesel torque an awful lot to choose the TDI vs TSI. On the face of it, the 1.8T seems to be the logical choice. I wish it wasn't so.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It doesn't really add up that both the smaller fuel tank and a torsion beam rear suspension are due to the adblue.
Yes it does. Filler piping is in the way of the IRS, fuel tank had to be smaller to make room for the Adblue tank. I guess VW, unlike Chevrolet, didn't want to just delete the spare tire.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes it does. Filler piping is in the way of the IRS, fuel tank had to be smaller to make room for the Adblue tank. I guess VW, unlike Chevrolet, didn't want to just delete the spare tire.
Smaller fuel tank and beam axle appear to be reasonable compromises.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Perhaps, but it would have been nice if the expected FE improvement from using urea had materialized. Looks like a 2 MPG bump is all we get.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
If the photos in the C&D article are from an actual NA model, there are some significant cosmetic differences from previous articles I've seen:

Brushed aluminum or stainless trim around the cluster & center stack vs. plain black.

Non-black interior color vs. black-only as has been rumored.

Hexagonal headlight reflectors vs. rectangular.

2-bar grill vs. ?-bar grill.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, hadn't thought about the filler pipe.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sight unseen, I would lean toward a 1.8TSI 5m, vs 2.0TDI 6M. I am not seeing the value in a TDI at the moment.

deserthi

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6 spd Man
I can't buy the 1.8 because when I got my 2010 tdi I got rid of my dodge pickup. I bought a real nice 4x8 trailer and put a hitch on the tdi and it pulls it really nicely, but I just don't think that the 1.8 would pull that trailer that well. I really wish Subaru would bring their diesel here to the states...I would snap one up. As it is, there aren't a lot of choices for me in the small car field that I can buy for my purpose.