2011 jetta sportwagen tdi vs 1012 passat tdi

dand2

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Metallic Brown JSW w/Sunroof 6MT
So I took a tdi sportwagen and a tdi 2012 new passat for a test ride today. I thought the passat was going to be more luxurious, and while it had real leather, wider seats and a bit more room over all, i felt the sportwagen was more refined, quieter, handled much better. I just wasn't that impressed with the new passat...i know it's a model that is more "american" than the "german" sportwagen, are americans that dumb? lol

It felt american because to me the quality and comfort were just not what i had expected...there was tire noise, when going over bumps you can hear a "thump" that seamed to echo into the cabin....on the sportwagen..it was quiet and solid......while the passat has more elbow room, over all i would have to stick to the sportwagen for the real german feel......and what's the deal with fog lights on the jettas???? The passat has it...why is it so hard to put them on the sportwagen?

anyone else test a sportwagen against a passat??

Dan

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I haven't driven the new Passat, but we do own a B6 '07 gasser wagen and I have had a similar experience. The Passat is larger but also seems a bit awkward and loose in the suspension. I have been chalking this up to the Passat having 93K miles, but it may just be the engineering as well.

I think the Golf/Jetta body has been such a mainstay in the VW/Audi line for so long that they have refined it to a tee. I sometimes wish I had the space of our Passat wagen, but the little JSW/GSW seems to be a perfect fit for great handling. And in the case of the Golf--which I have owned a few-- this is even more so the case. Old Rabbit too. Tight little sporty/torquey cars that let one feel the road--this is what I have always loved about VW.

Last edited:

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
Having driven both, I would concur with your sentiments about a lack of perceived "quality/solidity". My opinion is completely subjective and I know others will disagree, but the JSW/Golf just "feel" like better cars to me although if you need large interior space, the Passat is hard to beat (but cargo isn't that impressive coming from a hatchback)