2015 VW Golf TDI SportWagen Concept: New York Auto Show Debut

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yes, but for us it was also about the clearance, Clarence. I just don't understand why any car company wouldn't want to bring an Outback killer, which in turn might incentive Subamaroo to bring over the diesel boxer.
At this point it is looking like the '15 Ram half ton is going to make the top of the list.
None of the 4-motions I've seen appear to offer greater clearance. Audi does that with the Allroad, and VW has the Alltrack in some markets, but the last 4-mo VW, the B6 Passat, did not, and neither do I suspect, would a TDI "Sportwagen".

To me AWD alone just seems a way to part me from my money much faster. If I wanted clearance (or as I age easier to get in and out of), I'd prefer a small FWD SUV./crossdresser. But I'm not there yet :p

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe you, although I thought I had read something about more clearance, however marginal. In my mind AWD ought to go hand in hand with increased clearance. We do get by great with FWD and snow tires here, and AWD does have a tendency to make people think they can get by without good winter tires.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I am waiting for a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax
Let's hope GM come out with a good one! We'll need to replace our 07 Chevy Avalanche in next couple years, and if the Colorado is functional enough (size and fuel economy), we may give it a good look. Too bad Chevy discontinued the Avalanche - everyone I know who has one loves it!

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
If you have ever been out in the steep hills in CT or PA during a snow storm, FWD is ok with good snow tires, real AWD (the kind that puts power to the wheels with traction)
would be much preferred. It is all a matter of priorities and cost. I can't tell you how good a VW AWD TDI would be as I've never, ever seen one. I can't understand how VW
could sit there and watch folks buying Subaru's over and over again and not have at least ONE model with it (oh and that model can't cost $40000.)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
(oh and that model can't cost $40000.)
That's the real issue. If anyone else offers an AWD version, they always throw in a lot of other crap and drive the price up. Kind of like Chevy did with the Cruise diesel.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
This is the only mention to it now being just a tease that i can find in the whole interwebs. Any other source besides one tweet?:confused:
The way I read the tweet is that 4motion on the GSW may still be an option, just not in 2015. This was confirmed to me last week by a dealer who had been to a recent parts and service training where they discussed new models with VWOA. Again, no official promises in the affirmative via the tweet... So don't hold your breath.

Ilikewagons

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon, A3
VW lost me. I sold my Jettasportwagon tdi this week. That car was so noisy, wind noise, etc. on anything but smooth highway. Maybe a fraction of the 600 million for the tenn. Plant should be spent on soundproofing technology! The upcoming jetta version looked meh. Plus VW seems more interested in something like the cross blue. Ugggg! I can't think of a worse direction, looks like jeep and will cost more. What's the point? VW has no idea what they are doing in the US market. They screwed up the jetta, and now think people are going buy VW Jeeps!! HA! That being said I think the golf or GTi is the best offering. The Tiguan is an overpriced joke, the toureg? Really at that price I am buying the Q5 or frickin Cayenne. At the local VW dealership the summer event sale was promoted with a peace sign and rainbow colorered banners!!! REally? This is your corporate US strategy??? Peace signs to get me in to your summer sales event???? Around these parts I see TDI sportwagon everywhere. UM VW maybe you should spend 6000 million dollars to build a better sportwagon cause people like that car and you VW do nothing to promote it or even send out teaser press releases for the upcoming model. VW is a failure, if it weren't for Audi they would be toast in the USA. Hello V60 T5. LOL.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
VW lost me. I sold my Jettasportwagon tdi this week. That car was so noisy, wind noise, etc. on anything but smooth highway. Maybe a fraction of the 600 million for the tenn. Plant should be spent on soundproofing technology! The upcoming jetta version looked meh. Plus VW seems more interested in something like the cross blue. Ugggg! I can't think of a worse direction, looks like jeep and will cost more. What's the point? VW has no idea what they are doing in the US market. They screwed up the jetta, and now think people are going buy VW Jeeps!! HA! That being said I think the golf or GTi is the best offering. The Tiguan is an overpriced joke, the toureg? Really at that price I am buying the Q5 or frickin Cayenne. At the local VW dealership the summer event sale was promoted with a peace sign and rainbow colorered banners!!! REally? This is your corporate US strategy??? Peace signs to get me in to your summer sales event???? Around these parts I see TDI sportwagon everywhere. UM VW maybe you should spend 6000 million dollars to build a better sportwagon cause people like that car and you VW do nothing to promote it or even send out teaser press releases for the upcoming model. VW is a failure, if it weren't for Audi they would be toast in the USA. Hello V60 T5. LOL.
I can't say I agree with your assessment of noise levels. Both our Golfs are just fine in that regard. My 2011 Mk VI hatch is perhaps a tad more refined than our 2013 Mk V wagon, but not enough to really matter. Having put up with the road noise of several Hondas, I'd say our Golfs are more than acceptable.

It does seem to make a difference depending on the tires you run.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The current gen Golf/Jetta has significantly more wind and road noise than the MKIV cars. Noise and suspension isolation is clearly inferior to the earlier cars. Disappointing.

Ilikewagons

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon, A3
The jettasportwagon is a 32k car, if not more. The only reason I can see buying another one because of the TDI frugal use of fuel. Instead of building a whole new car in the cross blue, VW should offer more variations of this car. Or a Passat wagon That goes 0-60 in 6 seconds. Yea they might only sell 2000 of them a year but its a way to get people into the showroom. Really how many EOS a year do they sell, how many Touregs? These cars do nothing to move peoples emotions to the brand. The GTI is old, The cross blue will only work if its 29K. Otherwise no one will buy. A huge $ gamble. I find it incredible that VW is still stuck in this idea that they need to cater to the American car buyer in such a specific way. Trying to build a car around the collective tastes of "Americans". VW should take a big clue from Steve Jobs. People dont know what they want until you give it to them. Build a hot wagon, Build a 4wd wagon. Build a Tiguan in Tenn. with TDI and try to bring the cost down to 29K. Why did VW do nothing with the CC in this country?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
With the current Passat, Jetta Sedan, and now the Cross Blue VW is showing they think Americans want different vehicles than Europeans. I'd like to see the new European Passat sedan and wagon here, but I also know that I'm not in VW's target demographic. The current Passat and Jetta sedans have sold very well here, so maybe VW's marketing team is on to something.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I'm in Scotland at the moment and the vast array of cars, diesels and VWs boggles the mind! The Golf and Polo though are clearly the most popular.

Alas I'm stuck driving a 1.4L Vauxhall DisAstra. First car I've driven that I can say is dangerously underpowered, especially with the overly tall wide-ratio gearbox (5-sp manual). On the roads on Skye I'm spending a lot of time in 3d or 2nd, and even some grades require screaming in 1st.

4-motions are exceedingly rare. I agree the new VW Crossblue is a singularly unattractive vehicle. VW seems to think they must emulate American cars. If I wanted American, I'd buy American! Even Fords are moving more European. Part of the VW cachet for me is an affordable European car. The only model left that does that is the Golf. Fortunately they at least still offer the Golf in wagon form. Audi dropped the A4 wagon for the ugly Allroad. I fear VW may do the same for the Golf wagon.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I bought my JSW in northern California.
I paid $25k.
7k buys a lot of Crown Royal.

ez

Ilikewagons

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon, A3
25k does that include tax title fully loaded tdi?Congrats, you got a deal, it's still a 32k car in my book,
VW should have released that micro bus that was in concept a few years ago. A hipsters family dream like no other vehicle on the road. A real game changer instead the cross blue? No one will care. How about a cc wagon?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wouldn't that be the same as the current European passat wagen?

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
Why? To chew through tires quicker?

I was disappointed that VW bumped the displacement from 1.9L to 2.0L, up to 236ft-lb. Now so much torque is available down low that many people don't blow out their intercoolers, resulting in the condensation issue. I don't often rev above 3000rpm. I'd be happy with a 1.6T or 1.8T TDI. At least it'd get exercised then.

Oh, and here in the midwest, I am constantly breaking the front tires loose during accelerations in the winter. With snow tires. 236ft-lb is plenty for me. 368ft-lb would just be ridiculous, like having a corvette in the winter -- O.K., so you got a ton of power, but no way to lay it down.

I agree with you on breaking loose the tires, happens a little more often now with my 1.5 Malone tune but I also enjoy driving the car more and combined driving gets me the same mileage as before the tune (better on the highway,worse in the city) but the euro only release of this engine is with 4 motion DSG only and that is what I would want with that torque, could be almost as much fun to drive as a 535d with way more room to boot!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
The main reason I bgt a JSW TDI is it wasn't like anything made in the US,thank god. When I travel to europe I love the cars that are available there. When I rented a BMW diesel I was blown AWAY by the way it handled and performed, caused me to get a VW TDI. Forget changing great euro cars to dumb them down to US "tastes" it won't work.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
so the mk7 gsw offers more hp, equal torque, more interior pass/cargo space, improved aero, fuel econ & driving dynamics, & improved fuel system w/less emissions complication via urea treatment. all of these things should appeal to current & last gen jsw owners who might be on the verge of buying. it might keep that segment vw already owns from shrinking. how do you expand your numbers? go after the subie success story & win some of those wagon-people plus others sitting on the fence re:fuel econ. have 6sp & dsg gsw & gsw 4motion/alltrack. please everyone. make more models. make new customers. make more profit.

Mergnthwirker

TDI
2013 Golf TDI 4-dr
Count me as another lost sale if VW does not deliver this "holy grail" TDI/AWD/Wagon/stick concept in the next year or so.

I went into New York for the auto show and sat in the concept vehicle. I LOVED it! The Mk.VII interior is a nice improvement over my wife's MK VI, the seats were nice and the space was nice. I particularly like the cell phone box/amplifier as a way to keep my cell phone charged and functional longer. And of course it was a very functional wagon, which is the perfect rolling crate for my very large dog. I loved the sportiness of it as well. Perfect vehicle!

So the "holy grail" Golf Sportswagen AWD/diesel is center of my planning as a replacement for my current wagon. I'm still living in hope that it will appear as a 2016 model. I've been a HUGE VAG fan for many years, but it looks like VW will lose my future business if this one does not appear, since I see no VAG products that completely fill my needs.

The Adblue crossover SUV just sucks a big one. Horrible styling, offers nothing unique or fun, and without doubt will be overpriced when it appears. Another big FAIL for VW, I predict. VW seems to be flailing around and has lost their mojo, just when they need to be accelerating to meet their stated sales goals in the U.S.

Out of the 29 vehicles I've owned since getting a drivers license (many decades ago), one third have been Audi's or VW's. Unfortunately, with the exception of the S4 and RS models, Audi has moved away from enthusiasts -- especially those like me who like sticks. My most recent car purchase was a Golf TDI with a stick (for my wife). Only one out of my 29 vehicles has been a slushbox. I continue to test-drive new generation dual-clutch, CVT and 7-8 speed automatics and none have delivered the kind of connected driving experience that makes me love cars.

Other alternatives: I've been following the Golf R closely and nearly bought one when I got the TDI last year, but my wife prevailed to get her "perfect car" and she loves it! A Golf R wagon would be ideal. I've not driven the latest Subies, but they too are moving away from sticks. I might consider a WRX in a wagon form, but Subie seems to have abandoned their hatch as well. I've driven the latest Audi SQ-5 (QS?) and thought that Audi has really nailed the formula for a great-driving SUV, but again, no stick. The Audi S4 is no longer available in the states as a wagon either. And frankly, I'm sick of paying Audi prices as they continue to go luxury and daily rates for Audi mechanics are much higher than for VW.

Until I buy again, I continue to drive my 2001 Audi S4 Avant (with stick) and it remains one of my all-time favorite cars, even as it approaches 200,000 miles (with very few major service repairs, I might add). I'm still hoping VW brings my "holy grail" wagon so I have a new VW to look forward to.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Says the person from Arizona....
Says also the person from Quebec. FWD, 4 good snow tires, and stability control, is as much as I've ever needed, and I live on a rural dirt road with a long, winding and uphill driveway.

AWD just adds complexity, purchase cost, repair costs and a major fuel efficiency hit.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
Everyone has their own needs. This is why an AWD version makes a lot of sense for some people and probably wouldn't rob a lot of sales from the FWD wagon.

In my case, there is one road that requires me to take the long way around, because my car does not have the traction to climb the hill on the direct route - in the summertime.

There are some homes in the area that we had to exclude when seeking a place to live because our car simply will not make it up the road(s) leading to them during the winter. In those "neighborhoods", every single vehicle is a Subaru or 4x4 pickup with studded winter tires. All winter, when I'm in Fairbanks, everyone else is crossing the intersections while I crawl across seeking for little bits of sand. Studded winter compound tires help, but they cannot overcome all the limitations of FWD. There's a reason 78% of the cars/trucks in my state are AWD or 4x4. VW is a pretty small player here.

I don't need nor do I want the clearance of a jacked up Outback/Allroad/Alltrac, I just want the traction that AWD affords.

Says the person living in rural Alaska.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
Says also the person from Quebec. FWD, 4 good snow tires, and stability control, is as much as I've ever needed, and I live on a rural dirt road with a long, winding and uphill driveway.

AWD just adds complexity, purchase cost, repair costs and a major fuel efficiency hit.
this would simply be another feature in the model/product line that one can purchase. it doesn't mean that your entry level fwd version will not be available. 4motion will be there for those who want more kit including higher anticipated repair costs. this is an expense that some people(myself included) are willing to take on. get online and check out some vw, skoda, subie youtube vids about what people can do w/their awd systems that you can't do with your winter tires & fwd & maybe that 1-2mpg hit(not major at all when you are in the high 40's)will seem worth it on the rare occaision when you need it most. this isn't even about haldex vs subie symetrics, its about market share and maybe all those satisfied subie owners know a thing or two about getting from a-b thru anything! give them 12-15 more mpg's & they'll cross over in droves or at least hasten the arrival of subie's diesel powerplant.