25 years of TDI: The Bestseller for Efficiency

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
ANALYSIS: TDI technology at the core of Audi's powertrain strategy

The electric biturbo is powered by a separate 48V circuit, which in itself opens up further future possibilities for CO2 reduction, with engine ancillaries and HVAC units potentially diverting less power from the ICE. Another opportunity being explored with 48V is the development of electric chassis control systems. A certainty is using the 48V circuit to produce a 48V mild hybrid that will take the advances mentioned already for future stop-start systems even further.

Audi is also investigating the possibility of using steel pistons in its TDI engines. Their greater thermodynamic properties give advantages in combustion that lead to a reduction in fuel consumption and emissions levels. Already Renault has announced that its 1.5L K9 diesels will switch to steel pistons shortly and deliver a 2% fuel economy benefit.

Injection pressures for common rail diesel systems have risen inexorably since their introduction. Higher injection pressures allow greater control of combustion to reduce emissions, more power and fuel economy benefits. In 2004, Audi's Bosch supplied common rail system was at 1,600 bar, today it stands at 2,000 bar and for the near future it is working on introducing 2,700 bar that would take it close to the 3,000 bar of its TDI race engines. Whether the higher system pressure, combined with future emission regulations would mean the end of solenoid injectors for some of its diesel programmes Audi would not divulge, although it's safe to say that solenoid injectors have been written off before and found a way back.

Similarly, turbo boost pressures are another area of development for Audi. It points out that boost was at 2.3 bar in 2004 and had increased to 3.2 bar in 2014, but with their race engines at 4.0 bar there is a clear opportunity to increase turbo boost further.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
VW and AUDI are way in front of the NEW Technology. VW delivered 30 Million (and a few more) Golf's in 40 years. The Golf will stay ahead of the Pack with Diesel and E-Power. All other Brands will follow.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Sounds great on the technology front but I have to wonder how much of this we will ever see in North America.

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
wish that VW would stand behind their products more and have more competent technicians at their dealerships...

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Sounds great on the technology front but I have to wonder how much of this we will ever see in North America.
Exactly. The Audi Ultra A3 is something I'd like to see. From the article:

"The Audi A3 ultra* consumes just 3.2 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (73.5 US mpg). This equates to CO2 emissions of 85 grams per kilometer (136.8 g/mi)."

Why do they bother and spout off about this stuff that Audi won't sell here? Dangling the vehicle made of unobtanium in front of many hapless readers. It is more than annoying.

How about a Polo 3 cylinder Bluemotion? It gets similar mileage, and just as unobtainable. Gee.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I know that the European testing cycle gives better mileage results than the EPA testing, so figure that A3 ultra would probably be rated around 60 mpg US. In that size of a vehicle, it would be the best thing on the road to beat the Prius'. but alas, that is something that we shall never see.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
wish that VW would stand behind their products more and have more competent technicians at their dealerships...
Exactly. Get the current state of affairs straightened out before you go unleashing more 'technology increases' on the masses. I don't care what is claimed, if it fails prematurely then it's junk as far as I'm concerned.

I have to wonder how much more the industry can handle now that the gap between theoretical and actual is widening even more. Everything works great in the lab....

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Race engines are rebuilt very frequently by competent mechanics. The one thing I wished for with my TDI cars were less dealer visits and less service comebacks. my ex MKV was a fun comfortable car that got great fuel economy and the DSG 6 speed trans was fantastic but....to many overall issues. Even small issues needing multiple visits turn off consumers. Don't get me wrong, I loved my VW' s when I was a young man and was happy to become a vw owner again in later years. That said, they do need to pay attention to detail with respect to repairs and their service writers should all be made to belong to this website. I just wish there was a site as good as this one for my Mercedes bluetec.

D_Bill

Veteran Member
TDI
old_v1 - 01 jetta / old_v2 02 golf / new 13 jsw-6sp
since we're on the subject of mpg

I saw an ad recently for a 99 Eurovan . What caught my eye was the 35 mpg claimed - yep - it was a 1.9 tdi with 5sp stick ( probably homemade ??? ) .

Surely wishst vwoa woulda made one for me here in north america . . .