VagCom Question

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I'm debating about getting a VagCom, and I'm looking to "dial in " the car a bit to get maximum fuel mileage, and I realize that among other things, advancing the timing would do this.
Two Questions:
1. Is there anything negative about advancing the timing, in terms of longevity or reliability?
2. What other things should I dial in with the VAG com ?
Thanks,
Jerry

henryp

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Unless the timing is out of range you won't get any performance or fuel mileage benefit that you will notice.
(Ok, maybe a 0.5% increase in fuel mileage, big deal, it's not worth the effort)

There's nothing to "dial in". You can't increase performance by adjusting settings and adaptations.

the only "useful" thing you can do is adjust the EGR setting to reduce the EGR duty cycle to nearly zero. (It's the software equivalent of disconnecting your EGR vacuum hose but without the associated "check engine light")

This won't improve your performance, but it may keep your intake from clogging up with black "goo" over time.

However, having said all that, Vag-Com has paid for itself many times over for me. just remember that to have the dealer scan your ECU and clear a nuisance fault from a transient sensor blip that may never happen again will cost you between $50 and $75.

Henry

cage

Top Post Dawg
You are soooo right. I plan on getting one ASAP. I have taken my car to a few garages and shelled out hundreds of dollars over the past 5 years and I am over it.