www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old March 21st, 2011, 13:41   #1
evilfij

TDI(s): 2011 JSW TDI
Default My new 2011 JSW or a british car addict buy buys a practical car.

First of all, thank you to the TDIclub and its members for contributing to the knowledge base. Without internet forums like this, I don't know what I would do.

Backround: I have been a land rover guy since I was 17. I have owned a couple dozen or so and currently own five (1959 SII 88", 1994 NAS D90, 1995 Range Rover Classic LWB and two bitsa parts 110 hybrid projects) all of which are in various states of being british (ie being [re]built or frequently in need of repair). I also own an old 911, a bmw bavaria, and a lotus (which is also quite british -- ie already got one new motor, might need another new motor). So I decided I would get a practical car (GASP) for my 60 mile a day commute to work and frequent highway trips. I wanted diesel, 4x4, manual transmission, space in the back for stuff and good MPG, with the JSW, I got 3/4 which as is good as I am going to do in the US. I ended up with a platinium grey/titan black car with the protection package (I only wanted front mats but it was this car or a color I did not want).

Initial impressions: the car seems well built, but complicated enough that I am not going to own it past the powertrain warranty (can I extend -- all I am worried about is the HPFP and the motor -- is the HPFP covered by the regular warranty or the powertrain warranty). The interior is very german like and, aside from leather, equal to audi and just shy of MB or BMW. Note the 2011 regular Jetta interior is to a much lower standard.

Driving: torque is great. Aside from the initial off the line accelleration (which I am sure could be overcome by 2k rpm starts), the car drives as good as any gas vehicle. There are two additional issues I have: (1) the fall off in power at the top end encourages frequent shift (indicative of diesel) and (2) IMHO the car is way undersprung creating a wallowing or listing feeling, ironically not present in my 16 and 17 year old land rovers. I have decided that I should enjoy the trip and stop trying to drive it like the lotus.

Issues: None really. The driver aids are annoying. Needing to fetch the screwdriver out of the boot to get the headrests off is annoying. Not being able to fit the outdated nozel in the tank is annoying (it works, but you can only get 5 gallons in until it foams -- ask me how I know).

Anyway, thanks for the resource. I am not sure about posting links to other boards, but I use the same username elsewhere so you can see I am a true addict!

Last edited by evilfij; March 21st, 2011 at 13:45.
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:15   #2
warbird24
Veteran Member

Ah...British Cars. Brings back some nightmares for me! LOL! Lived over in England for 3 years back in the 70's. Drove a lot over there and learned to enjoy small frugal cars that had something different about them.

Good luck with your JSW.

warbird24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:58   #3
740GLE
Veteran Member

So a british car nut doesn't want to do regular maintence to keep their car going past warranty? say what? Sounds like you'd be fully capable to keep this car on the road much longer than many out there.

Remember even though it's German, I think VW stole all of Englands vast Electrical knowledge.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:16   #4
scdevon
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None
Fuel Economy: Awesome

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

Just kidding. Enjoy the new JSW. I'll take VW electrics over British electrics any day.
scdevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:21   #5
IFRCFI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I have been a land rover guy since I was 17. I have owned a couple dozen or so and currently own five
You're already used to pain. You won't have a problem.
IFRCFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:29   #6
warbird24
Veteran Member

Lucas Electrics----The Prince of Darkness

warbird24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 14:20   #7
Scratcher
Veteran Member

The only good thing about my first British car (Austin Maestro) was the two liter Perkins DI engine.

Scratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:39   #8
Cooper
Veteran Member

I have to check the driver's side turn signal in my wife's Mini Moke now that spring is here. As the wiring diagram is one page, it's pretty easy to track down. If not a bulb, it's usually a loose bullet connector in the line.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:07   #9
bdisco
Veteran Member

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:55   #10
Cooper
Veteran Member

My wife brought this over to friends in England. They loved it.

http://www.triple-c.com/Products_and...%2DBCW&pID=287
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 21:58   #11
Madorski
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '11 GSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: Many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Remember even though it's German, I think VW stole all of Englands vast Electrical knowledge.

..If Lucas made guns, wars would never start.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 22:49   #12
Dean
Veteran Member

I had a Range Rover, each annoyance can cost a minimum of $1000 to fix.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 23:24   #13
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Man I'm Scottish and I wouldn't touch a land rover or range rover lol, good fun off road but you need to fix them on a weekly basis, the only british car I liked and found to be good was a couple of the rover turbo diesels, I had the earlier rover 200 and the first of the 25's which was also a 200. The second one was a flying machine, I was pretty impressed with it and it only broke down once due to some damaged wires in the engine bay that had been rubbing against some frame work. Speaking of electrics though, I've found renault to be about the absolute worst ever, their wire just corodes away inside the insulation and so do all the flippin contacts, I had to take out the indicators on my dads car every fortnight or so and try and get the dam things working due to corosion but I've since moved to a vag tdi and am pretty pleased so far.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:42   #14
bdisco
Veteran Member

Quote:
I had a Range Rover, each annoyance can cost a minimum of $1000 to fix.
We had a '98 Discovery, but couldn't afford to keep it. Just driving past the dealership would cost $800. Great 4x4 you had to try really hard to get it stuck. I had to put a piece of cardboard under neath since it leaked oil from day one (British rustproofing). At around 100k things started going exhaust, abs sensor, door lock... The kicker came when we brought it to the dealer for the 100k service (timing belt, plugs, etc...). They said it needed a valve job $3700. No thanks took it home put 8 new plugs, filter, and put it up for sale. I still miss it.
Old March 28th, 2011, 15:46   #15
Palladin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

is the HPFP covered by the regular warranty or the powertrain warranty).
It is until you put gas in it.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote