www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 9th, 2011, 19:41   #1
CanuckCommuter

Fuel Economy: 800 l /100 k with a heavy foot
Default Which car to buy?

Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum and have spent the last week or so looking around and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge here.
I need to ask some advice from you all.
I just took a job in which i will need to commute about 100kms to get to and of course the only logical option is to get a TDI.....after much looking i have a few options to choose from.....Criteria is to find a cheap car that will give me the least amount of trouble over the next 2 years.

2001 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA TDI DIESEL, 5 SPEED, POWER WINDOWS, POWER LOCKS, SUNROOF, HEATED SEATS, MICHELIN X ICE WINTER TIRES, 385000KMS.RUNS GREAT, MOBILE 1 OIL USED.
certified and e-test included

2000 Jetta TDI 300,000 kms certified e-tested automatic Turbo Diesel power windows locks heated seats remote starter brand new brakes rear springs and shocks. Timing belt and water pump done at 270K km. New glow plugs. Escellent condition in and out no rust. Glove box and cup holder are fine. Very tight car.

2003 Jetta TDI 398,000 kms grey on heated black leather. sunroof. clean in and out. good snows on vw rims.New battery, rear breaks wheel bearing recent rebuilt trans well maintained. aprox 1000 kms per tank .lots of life left .

1998 Jetta TDI 374,000 kms fully equipped including power glass sunroof and remote entry. Carefully maintained throughout its three owners, theres lots of trouble free kilometers still in her! Mostly highway driven, 5 speed, with upgrade Stereo and winter and summer premium tires each on mag wheels plus an extra brand new summer mag (Just in case you ever clip a curb) Nice velour interior. A/C, Cruise, door locks (remote) , trunk, alarm.

Sorry for the long post, just need some direction here.
CanuckCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:05   #2
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Avoid the automatics, they are time bombs from what I understand.

The others are all a crap shoot since we know nothing of their history. All are good year models capable of going long distances efficiently and racking up huge miles if they were/are taken care of properly. If they were not, they're time bombs on borrowed time.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:51   #3
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

With that kind of mileage, I hope they are all super cheap... and yes, run away from that vintage with an automatic.