www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old November 26th, 2017, 20:19   #1
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers
Default What car is a better buy... and why?

I am looking at two different TDIís and need some opinions on which would be the better buy.

Car #1 - 2002 Jetta TDI automatic. 53k miles. Sat in a field for the last 3 or 4 years. Literally a little old lady car. Minor damage on passenger side. Front bumper needs reattached. Timing belt presumed never replaced. Needs core support, needs suspension bushings replaced, needs turbo cleaned (best case scenario) / replaced (worst case scenario), and all fluids need replaced.

Car #2 - 2005 Passat TDI Automatic. 194k miles. Daily driven and well maintained. I havenít checked it out yet, but letís assume it doesnít need much. Pictures make it look in pretty good condition. Hereís the catch... salvage title. Seller says it is a stolen recovery out of Arizona. AZ does allow insurance to brand cars as salvage if stolen recovery.
Old November 26th, 2017, 20:47   #2
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

It's hard to pick since both sound like low value cars. What is your reason for wanting either one?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 21:21   #3
Fixmy59bug

daily driver and “visit the parents in California” car.

The 12 mpg wrangler makes it difficult to visit as often as I would like.
Old November 27th, 2017, 02:55   #4
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Neither sound that appealing. Sat in a field is a big red flag to me, although you're in NV and perhaps the climate there is less harmful than here. Still, moisture is a big enemy. Both are automatics, reducing the benefit of diesel power. And both need bodywork, which is expensive. I'd keep looking.
Old November 27th, 2017, 03:55   #5
KCTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Touareg

The '02 Jetta would repair nicely if it's just front end damage. Run the 01M 'til it failed, then swap in a five speed. But if you hafta pay someone else to repair everything it would get high dollar, quick. Finding a MkIV with that low mileage is rare.
My opinion. Worth what it cost
Proud to be called Grandpa x 7
KCTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 06:43   #6
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups
Exclamation In a field for 4 years

Mice
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 07:32   #7
Fixmy59bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Neither sound that appealing. Sat in a field is a big red flag to me, although you're in NV and perhaps the climate there is less harmful than here. Still, moisture is a big enemy. Both are automatics, reducing the benefit of diesel power. And both need bodywork, which is expensive. I'd keep looking.
The nice thing about being in the Las Vegas desert is the climate is VERY friendly to cars that sit around. It is extremely dry here, typically less than 10% humidity. And it doesnt snow here. Although the possibility of field mice is a possibility as evidenced by the underhood liner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTDI View Post
The '02 Jetta would repair nicely if it's just front end damage. Run the 01M 'til it failed, then swap in a five speed. But if you hafta pay someone else to repair everything it would get high dollar, quick. Finding a MkIV with that low mileage is rare.
My opinion. Worth what it cost
I can do 98% of the work myself, and being that I work at a dealership I can get parts cheaper than MSRP. The 2% of work that I can't do (turbo cleaning / replacement) I have assistance with from one of my techs. So 75% of the cost of repairing the car is a moot point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
Mice
That is a valid concern.

Pics of said Jetta:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=26
Old November 27th, 2017, 08:49   #8
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I know people like low mileage, but I'd be more comfortable with a car that's been well maintained and didn't sit that had 250K on it than that one. With a manual transmission, too. But that's just my opinion.
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:01   #9
Fixmy59bug

Oh believe me... a manual trans is highly preferable to me as well. I ordered my JKU with a manual and dont have any regrets.

Which brings up an interesting question...

When the inevitable happens (the trans goes out) on either vehicle, which is easier to convert? I would think the Jetta as the availability of parts is greater?
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:15   #10
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
Oh believe me... a manual trans is highly preferable to me as well. I ordered my JKU with a manual and dont have any regrets.

Which brings up an interesting question...

When the inevitable happens (the trans goes out) on either vehicle, which is easier to convert? I would think the Jetta as the availability of parts is greater?
Jetta is easier to convert. A lot more part availability also.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 15:15   #11
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I know people like low mileage, but I'd be more comfortable with a car that's been well maintained and didn't sit that had 250K on it than that one. With a manual transmission, too. But that's just my opinion.
.... I'll bite

... yeah my sits a lot

... but noting what the NADA book values a '15 ride extrapolated to 250,000 miles compared to 6,000 miles

Negative $5,600 for a high miler at retail

Positive $2,025 for the low miles at retail

Will willingly admit my mild concern about premature battery failure & tires that might develop a small amount of un-roundness.

.... and so fasr I have done all the scheduled maintenance
Old November 28th, 2017, 04:18   #12
KCTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Touareg

Jetta will be the easiest and cheapest to convert as all parts are available in the US. No manual trans TDI B5.5s were imported into the US. so a TDI trans would hafta come from Europe. The ancillary pieces (axles, clutch pedal/master cyl., shifter, etc.) can be robbed from a manual Audi. The price of a clutch is something to consider also as it takes a good one to hold a tuned 2.0.
Proud to be called Grandpa x 7
KCTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 06:55   #13
clacker
Veteran Member

Jetta all the way. Parts are easily found anywhere, they were common all over. Don't worry too much about the automatic, they are pretty robust once repaired properly (or not abused in the first place). They just use more fuel. Any used car purchase is going to need fluids done, bushings, brakes and such just part of car ownership (most I have bought needed work even with recent work, it was not done right). Simple jobs that are well documented on how to do it on the forums (turbo, bushings etc). A car that is worthy of fixing if not rusty or too beat up, a couple grand and you will have something that lasts A LONG TIME.
The Passat has many potential high dollar fixes, balance shaft issues, turbo issues, transmission issues (torque converter is a weak point and other possibilities). They are not easily found when parts are needed (diesel specific). Injector and camshaft wear are known and expensive to fix. All of them have failures, usually 200k it starts-the transmission, the turbo, then the balance shaft stuff followed by cam and injectors. None of them escaped these repairs, it was weak points that the ALH engine was not prone to.
2006 smart fortwo cdi real fuel economy!
many Mercedes W123/116/126 projects all diesel.
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 17:13   #14
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

How's the maintenance on the Passat? Has the balance shaft been done? I also notice that the automatics seem to be problematic in the Passats also.
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 24k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 100hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 423k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:11   #15
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
I am looking at two different TDIís and need some opinions on which would be the better buy.

Car #1 - 2002 Jetta TDI automatic. 53k miles. Sat in a field for the last 3 or 4 years. Literally a little old lady car. Minor damage on passenger side. Front bumper needs reattached.

Timing belt presumed never replaced. Needs core support, needs suspension bushings replaced, needs turbo cleaned (best case scenario) / replaced (worst case scenario), and all fluids need replaced.

Car #2 - 2005 Passat TDI Automatic. 194k miles. Daily driven and well maintained. I havenít checked it out yet, but letís assume it doesnít need much. Pictures make it look in pretty good condition. Hereís the catch... salvage title. Seller says it is a stolen recovery out of Arizona. AZ does allow insurance to brand cars as salvage if stolen recovery.
In addition to rodent issues in a field, water, and sun harm.

BTW. sitting in a field is not the "only" mouse chewers exposure. Our cars ARE garaged.

..... and we live in an area with a lot of openness behind our house. every 3-4 years (winter) the little Okie mice will visit our garage. We prophylacticly have PIZZEN ready for fresh invaders.

So far so good.