Timing is Retarded

Hookstra

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, grey
First, thanks to Rich for hooking me up with his VAG-COM to figure out my check engine light.
Code came up as the ecu but the car is seemingly running fine - cleared the code and 20 miles later it came back on. One thing Rich said to me was "there's a lot to be said for 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'"

He also ran the diagnostics on my timing - and what he told me was - "your timing is retarded, it needs to be advanced." He also suggested I replace the timing belt at the same time since I don't know the history of the car and he gave me the user name of one of the members on this board to get in touch with.

If you're an expert with replacing timing belts and setting the timing on the 1.9 tdi in a B4 and you're in the northern VA area, please let me know. I'm interested in discussing terms with you.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Repeat after me: Car54, Woodbridge, VA.

BTW, while he's doing the timing belt, have him replace the vacuum lines to fix your ECU code.

Hookstra

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, grey
I pm'd Car 54 over the weekend - I'm sure he's busy because he hasn't responded yet. I don't want to get pushy being a newbie and all.