Timing was retarded and so am I

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 2004 jetta wagen
I finally could not handle the rough stumbling that my retarded jetta was experiencing, It was getting bad. Clouds of white mist even as my wife was driving it.And it was still getting 42 mpg. I pulled the injectors and found them caked with soot. Cleaned them, even took them apart and spray/chem cleaned them to see what I need to do to change out the noozles. The "216 that is 203" appears to the best choice. (I'm open for your input.) I think I will swap them out when my wife is not looking. I wonder if she will notice? Any way, Then the car would not start. Well, I did not purge to fuel line to the injectors. Lucky for me I had made plans with Robby, Runonbeer to help me set the timing. We reinstalled the injectors and it still was a no go situation. Until I mentioned the purging issue. JOb done. The engine started. Now the Vag-com. I think I saw Runonbeer cry at the read out. Mirror in hand we checked the TB and tensor. More tears of terror. My poor Jetta had been molested by a dealership!!! when they did the TB. The tensor was not set to the mark. The Pump was way out / beyond retarded MORONIC best describes the statis. Finally after things were set, we went back to the pump to change out the stretch bolts. Each one was about 3/8" longer than new ones. Guess what I plan to do with the engine mount bolts that the stealership did not replace when they did the TB. Do you need another guess? yah replace those critters real soon before I loose the engine. My sweet wife would not like that. She has asked me several times "will this engine fall out?" I better get to that ASAP.

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
I need to say that I can't blame any dealership in SATX. It was the one in Killeen, TX. They even sold me the vehicle with the wrong security lug-drive. They ended up sending me several others until they gave me the right one. There are other crazy stories, but I don't want to ramble tonight. By the way mgwerks, what was the final status of your tdi?

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife just returned from her drive to Dal-FtW TX area. The fuel economy jumped up from 42 mpg to 46.909090909 mpg. That puts the jetta into the 700 miler grouping if I vent to max. The problem is on those types of trip none of our bladders can last that long. My wife said that she noted that in 5th gear she could feel a bumpiness to the engine. When Robby and I checked the Timing etc. he noted that the fuel pressure reading with the vag-com varied. But he said that the numbers were within specs. I should also mention that Robby said that the fuel pump sounds a bit noisey. Does this sound like a symptom of a bad pump. Or is it something that I drive with until . . ?