2015 TDI Jetta door lock question from a newb

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
I am a proud owner of a 2015 TDI Jetta SE. I noticed when the vehicle is put in park, the doors automatically unlock. What the eff? That's not safe! I appreciate auto-locking doors and the fact that in the event of an accident, the doors will auto-unlock but I don't want them to unlock themselves otherwise. I asked the dealership where I purchased the car and they said they have to go in through the engine and use a computer to recode and rewire things if I want to avoid this "feature". They say it will cost $125. Is this true?

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
This can be disabled with VCDS, I just Did my 2014 Jetta and my 2015 Passat yesterday.
Now if I turn off the car and pull the key out of the ignition all doors remain locked.
I can easily jut go out by pulling the handle then just that door will unlock and let me out.

I think you can find instructions here. ( VCDS is required )

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5545393-MK-6-Jetta-VCDS-Mods

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Wait until you find yourself always unlocking the doors with your remote and you will wish the doors automatically unlocked when you put your car in park.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Doors

The car will always unlock any door by pulling the lever which is mechanically activated.
You can never be locked inside the car.

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Whoa, out of my area of expertise. I'm jealous you were able to do yours!!

This can be disabled with VCDS, I just Did my 2014 Jetta and my 2015 Passat yesterday.
Now if I turn off the car and pull the key out of the ignition all doors remain locked.
I can easily jut go out by pulling the handle then just that door will unlock and let me out.

I think you can find instructions here. ( VCDS is required )

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5545393-MK-6-Jetta-VCDS-Mods

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
This won't be a problem from me. I drove my Ford Explorer from day one until I got rid of it 14 years later to get my Jetta and it had this feature. I LOVED IT! It's second nature for me to be prepared to use my remote to unlock the doors if needed and as another poster pointed out, use the handle to open the lock/door by myself. I guess I need to talk to my dealer about fixing this and preparing to lay out some extra cash.

Wait until you find yourself always unlocking the doors with your remote and you will wish the doors automatically unlocked when you put your car in park.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Don't expect the dealer to be any help on this. I asked m dealer to turn off my DRL's, which are not mandated in any state, and was told that it was not possible.:rolleyes:

Turns out that with VCDS turning off DRL's and a whole bunch of other options can be manipulated.

On my 2006 anyway, the behavior of central locking is easily modified with VCDS.

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Apparently I risk my life daily by not locking my doors. If keeping others out of your car while stopped is a problem, it may be time to move to a new neighborhood.:rolleyes:

I have to deal with Ford logic at work. Every time you make a stop, the passenger door(s) remain locked. I'm used to having access to all doors from the outside, so I find it very annoying when a door remains locked just because the vehicle has been driven a short distance. We could start an entire thread on annoying convenience features of Ford vehicles... chimes, lights, signals, cruise control, etc., but this is a TDI forum.

The great thing for you and I, though, is that VCDS enables us to adjust locking behavior and other convenience features to our own liking. Don't bother with the dealer, there's likely a tdiclub member near you that would be willing to assist you with VCDS.

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
My dealer said they could/would change this feature for $125. I just hate this "feature" a lot.

Don't expect the dealer to be any help on this. I asked m dealer to turn off my DRL's, which are not mandated in any state, and was told that it was not possible.:rolleyes:

Turns out that with VCDS turning off DRL's and a whole bunch of other options can be manipulated.

On my 2006 anyway, the behavior of central locking is easily modified with VCDS.

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Being female, I do feel a little vulnerable having my doors unlock themselves. Paranoid, yes. I am considering seeing if there is a TDI person around central/coastal California.
Apparently I risk my life daily by not locking my doors. If keeping others out of your car while stopped is a problem, it may be time to move to a new neighborhood.:rolleyes:
I have to deal with Ford logic at work. Every time you make a stop, the passenger door(s) remain locked. I'm used to having access to all doors from the outside, so I find it very annoying when a door remains locked just because the vehicle has been driven a short distance. We could start an entire thread on annoying convenience features of Ford vehicles... chimes, lights, signals, cruise control, etc., but this is a TDI forum.
The great thing for you and I, though, is that VCDS enables us to adjust locking behavior and other convenience features to our own liking. Don't bother with the dealer, there's likely a tdiclub member near you that would be willing to assist you with VCDS.