Stuck in Sturgis, SD. need help ASAP. EGR pipe broke. got cash! help please!!!!

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Castrol GTX was what I used to use, but that's quite a list. I've been away from the driveway for quite some time, what do you enthusiasts use ?
I set off quite a storm with my Castrol remark but it turned out to be comical. I have the perfect driveway which slopes down by the street. Those PepBoys ramps have caught dust and cobwebs.
The last time I did an oil change was back in 2008 ! But my 01 Passat also had that annoying bottom cover with the 10 to 15 screws.
Anything to be wary about ? Over torquing filter, changing oil plug, the car falling on me (oh no forgot to put the spare and backup jacks). Worse over filling. Some cardinal sins are committed by amateurs but rest assured gentlemen I will read many threads and watch many videos before I attempt this.
Go ahead laugh at me but the next time you see a mid 40 year old neighborhood hero down on a cardboard box with feet dangling out on the street with precautionary orange cones and yellow caution tape, that might be me. Drive slowly and don't scare me by honking or driving too close to my feet.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
The oil change was one of the easiest things I've ever done really. You'll do fine. Me and my girlfriend did it in like 15 mins. Last shop charged me 90$. I think I did it for 25$.

As far as oil goes. I thought as long as it has that cg-4 rating then it's fine?

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
I love this stuff what an intelligent and informative statement.:rolleyes:

From the many studies I did in college, I'll stick with my statement.

On the other hand, Quaker State is equal to sewage water.

That is all based on my experience with them. I'm sure many have used each with zero problems.

There are also many who have used NON 505.01 spec in PD engines their whole life with no problems. Lets not start another great oil debate. To each his own. Agree to disagree.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
MOBIL Delvac 1 5w40 is what i use. Youll want the 5w30
If you are replying to Foulliard, he doesn't want to use 5W30.

This thread is getting confused with people jumping in and asking questions about their cars which have different needs. Sigh...

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
From the many studies I did in college, I'll stick with my statement.

On the other hand, Quaker State is equal to sewage water.
What great academic oil studies did you do in college that the end result yielded goat piss and sewer water. That is what I mean about your "intelligent and informative"statement I commented on. Has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing. You could share some real world data with us not some comparison to goat piss and sewer water. Then I might even agree with you.:D

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
Guess I'm a little late but I live in Sturgis and definitely could have helped out. All is well that ends well I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
yeah it all good!

got the guys at NAPA to make me a little block off plate with some spare thin steel they had behind the shop in the garbage. then the hardware shop next door drilled 2 holes in it for me. I owe them both big time!

bought 2 ramps for 60$, removed the lower EGR, installed that block off plate and off to mount rushmore we went!

we were able to stop by the full throttle saloon though, 4 days before it burnt down!!!!! thank god because ive always wanted to go there. we barely made it!

thanks again to everyone here that helped me!!! I really appreciate it and owe you all one. couldnt have done it without you. you guys literally saved me thousands of dollars and prevented me from having ANOTHER damn heart attack!!!!

Last edited: