Heavy black smoke after tune and injector install

Sodiracing

TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi ALH
Hey all. This is my first post.
2003 Jetta TDI ALH
Had a kerma tune put in it along with the bosio 1019 injectors. The shop that put them in said the injectors were balanced and tested.
Now whenever I get past 1/2 throttle, or really get on it the thing smokes. BAD!!
I mean a huge cloud of black smoke that I can barely see the car behind me, while I like this in my duramax, I don't really want my Jetta doing this.
I replaced the MAF.
Checked for boost leaks. None found
Cleaned EGR AND INTAKE.
I cannot figure out what is going on.
Anyone have any suggestions?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
How was the car running before the mods?
Kerma is pretty helpful, ask them about it.

Sodiracing

TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi ALH
Car was running great before mods . No smoke at all. 38mpg. Now is running fine. Just smokes like a motha. When we ran VCDS said IQ was within normal range

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
For now, take the nozzles out and see if the smoke reduces . Since you want to do both, your Kerma tune needs to take your oversized nozzles into account - my RocketChip Stage 2 tune does for my PP520's (and my 11mm fuel pump) - now it only smokes bad when I'm on it hard and fanning the clutch. Between 2000 and 3000 RPM - you can't tell I have anything special :)

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Hey all. This is my first post.
2003 Jetta TDI ALH
Had a kerma tune put in it along with the bosio 1019 injectors. The shop that put them in said the injectors were balanced and tested.
Now whenever I get past 1/2 throttle, or really get on it the thing smokes. BAD!!
I mean a huge cloud of black smoke that I can barely see the car behind me, while I like this in my duramax, I don't really want my Jetta doing this.
I replaced the MAF.
Checked for boost leaks. None found
Cleaned EGR AND INTAKE.
I cannot figure out what is going on.
Anyone have any suggestions?
You should have spoken with KERMA before posting a thread. It's likely KERMA will send you a list of logs they need from you. The logs will be taken with VCDS and you send the logs to KERMA, they look them over and either adjust the tune or tell you what's wrong.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
What # shows up in injection quantity when at idle with all loads off (especially A/C)?

Who balanced the nozzles?
What BAR are they set at?

How plugged is the intake manifold?
Post up your boost log would also be useful.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
first thing to do if you require support or have questions regarding something from kermatdi is: send an e-mail to info@kermatdi.com . Or else call the toll free number- someone usually answers very quickly.

You can also contact me directly at tuning@kermatdi.com. I usually will not let any e-mail go unanswered for more than an hour or so at the most if I can possibly help it. (although this goal is not always possible to meet)

You usually have a response within the hour. We will NEVER leave anyone hanging waiting for an answer for long.

It is somewhat noteworthy though, I don't see any ALH tunes or DLC1019 having been sold to anyone in San Jose for several months. Please use one of the above contact methods and let us know where and when you bought the stuff from us and we will do what we can to help.

Now to find the third thread.

You will get an answer a lot faster by calling/e-mailing us directly than posting on the forums. I just so happened to be browsing and saw this.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Is it just me, or are there a lot more cases of "Ready, Fire, Aim" on these forums? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Sounds like a bootlegged tune to me, or somebody BSing the OP...:eek:

...It is somewhat noteworthy though, I don't see any ALH tunes or DLC1019 having been sold to anyone in San Jose for several months...

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Wow, Chillax guys, he's new, freaking out and doesn't know what to do and probably not forum savvy. Oh, right, you guys are all prefect, I forgot, my bad. :eek:

Who bought the parts? Who did the work?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Car was running great before mods . No smoke at all. 38mpg. Now is running fine. Just smokes like a motha. When we ran VCDS said IQ was within normal range
The RANGE is there to allow for ADJUSTMENT! Just because you're falling inside the range (2 to 9) doesn't mean that you're optimized! If you cannot get rid of the smoke within that range THEN there's a problem (seems doubtful unless someone really botched the injectors, or, your engine is flat out mess up).

If you paid someone to do this work then you need to take the car back to them and make THEM do the job RIGHT! I'm thinking that they might not be all that sharp...

Sodiracing

TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi ALH
The RANGE is there to allow for ADJUSTMENT! Just because you're falling inside the range (2 to 9) doesn't mean that you're optimized! If you cannot get rid of the smoke within that range THEN there's a problem (seems doubtful unless someone really botched the injectors, or, your engine is flat out mess up).

If you paid someone to do this work then you need to take the car back to them and make THEM do the job RIGHT! I'm thinking that they might not be all that sharp...

That's part of the issue I am having is the shop owner is not being very cooperative about meeting with me and figuring it out. Which is why I am on this thread. I do not know what the IQ is set at because I do not have VCDS. I have searched for a good TDI mechanic in the San Jose , CA area in other forums and put in a phone call to one of them. They're few and far between thou.

I am going to also contact kerma and see what they say. I did purchase these last year in 2014 from altornative solution in cambell. I've been dealing with this problem with him ever since.

I apologize for posting this on multiple threads, as I said in the first sentence of this thread this is my first one. I did not know that doing this was against the rules. That being said. I was not expecting to be told multiple times on multiple threads to not do this. I would hope that you would be more considered about the content of the thread instead of yelling at the new guy his first time posting. Just getting a first impression of you and why your really here. I'm just a regular guy trying to get his car to stop smoking.

Thank you everyone else for the advice. I'm not getting any response from the shop that did the work and that's making this very frustrating for me because I paid a lot of money to get these upgrades done.
I'll report back when I can find out the about the things you all have suggested.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I'm in LA today, San Francisco tomorrow...call me (208) 863-7496

Sodiracing

TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi ALH
sodi said, "altornative solution in cambell". this may be part of your problem. read this whole thread and do a search here for possible more information.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=323733&page=6

welcome to tdiclub and good luck getting your issues sorted.

Just read the thread. WOW. I had no idea. But it sure explains a lot. I'm moving on from him. I can't even get him to respond to a phone call or text now anyways.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
And that kind of reply should have been the norm, not the bashing. Not putting you down Drivbiwire, impressed by your support. :cool: