Shout out to GDM(Diesel Dubs)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Just so you know, my wife works for the EPA, helping folks understand alternatives that are cleaner and effective.

I spoke with one of her friends who is a lawyer for the agency. social occasion, casual questions.

there is an enforcement office, several actually, and they have more to do than there are hours in a day, so it is a matter of priorities. they do rely mostly upon state enforcement for the emissions checks which are required based on the air quality in the area. (costs too much to run a vehicle testing program where the people are few and the air is semi-ok to breathe) some places have roaming side of the road checks to see which vehicles are emitting, and send high emission vehicles a letter based on lic plate to get inspected, in addition to the pre-registration checks.

the truth is that stuff we put in the air makes people sick. (and some who are a little sick, much sicker) this is the driver for the original clean air act which Richard Nixon signed, and is what motivates most of the folks who work for the EPA.

for a shop which specializes in part in performing modification of emissions systems, it would seem to me that internet discussion exposure is a two edged sword. more customers, more risk of awareness of folks who could bring legal action against the shop.

the EPA does focus the limited budget and enforcement staff resources they do have on the biggest emitters, so you might expect that shops that focus only on individual 40mpg plus cars would come well down the list, after folks who make and sell pipe kits, delete tunes, and modification for pickups and larger trucks and equipment. (and after fixed industrial sources)

this does not mean they will not get there, just a matter of resources. they may never get around to it, or it may be next week.

you will probably not see the shops include large bumper stickers with "I had my emissions controls deleted at ......."

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
that water spill was a royal screw up, I think similar to the cause of the BP oil spill

I suspect they were drilling a hole to be able to sample the crap in the mine, as part of a process to clean it up and had underestimated the pressure inside the mine.

and there are two offices inside the EPA, air and water. (and a couple other ones, I think)

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
The air that we all breathe does effect you and yours, doesn't it?… :rolleyes:
Note that I said "directly effect me and mine." What some jerk in another state does to his car has little enough effect on me and mine that I won't feel the need to turn him/her in to the Feds.

Regarding the "loud pipes save lives" crowd: I cannot understand how pissing me off so much that I wouldn't pick up the phone if you splattered yourself across an acre of pavement makes you safer, but maybe it does. Especially since most things that endanger a motorcyclist happen in front of the bike, but the loud pipes concentrate the sound to the rear.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Note that I said "directly effect me and mine." What some jerk in another state does to his car has little enough effect on me and mine that I won't feel the need to turn him/her in to the Feds.

Regarding the "loud pipes save lives" crowd: I cannot understand how pissing me off so much that I wouldn't pick up the phone if you splattered yourself across an acre of pavement makes you safer, but maybe it does. Especially since most things that endanger a motorcyclist happen in front of the bike, but the loud pipes concentrate the sound to the rear.
Please do us all a favor and crawl back under your rock.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Please do us all a favor and crawl back under your rock.
I'm not being serious here :Dbut after reading and participating in numerous posts tonight........I have one question, is there a full moon tonight? I haven't looked out the window. Everybody is lippin' off including myself! There was a post maybe a year or so ago from a visiting Vortex member who commented that "You guys here treat each other like $hit":eek:

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i do not know, i was just outside watching the sky and only saw three or four but we have a significant amount of light pollution here. do you believe in astrology?:eek:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
i do not know, i was just outside watching the sky and only saw three or four but we have a significant amount of light pollution here. do you believe in astrology?:eek:
Were gettin' way off topic here hah, but no I never paid any attention to astrology. I have always kinda equated it to fortune telling by reading my palm.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Thank god we have such competent government agencies. Maybe when they send some goons over to sniff my tailpipe they'll be nice enough to dump a bunch of toxic waste on my lawn.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
It did happen on EPA's watch, but according to what I have read, the perps were subcontractors hired by the agency.

Last edited:

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
To all the haters.. Two things.
1. I was talking to Les today and he doesn't mind anything posted on the forum.
2. Before I even talked to him I contacted two different mods asking to delete this post.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Right on. I don't see what brought out all the negativity. Maybe because the thread is in 101 and not power enhancements. There are numerous similar threads that haven't drawn the scornful indignation. You'll love the car when you get it back. Motor on.

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Right on. I don't see what brought out all the negativity. Maybe because the thread is in 101 and not power enhancements. There are numerous similar threads that haven't drawn the scornful indignation. You'll love the car when you get it back. Motor on.
Yea Les said that the tuning is done and he's finishing up the exhaust in the next day or two. Thanks for not having a negative comment. Not what I was expecting when I made this thread.

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
The feds are so broke they can hardly afford to keep running year round as it is, let alone ramp up emmissions checks. In Canada, only Ontario is left doing emmissions checks and even those days are numbered. No money in the govt coffers.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's classic Monty Python. Probably the pinnacle of brit com.(british comedy)

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Of course, even the owners can't stand how loud their bike is, so they make sure to wear earplugs.

I was at an EasyRider event this weekend. A dude on a quad was riding around and it had a rather obnoxious pipe on it. It had an auto clutch, so every 20 feet or so he would shift it into neutral then rev it a few times then dump it back into gear. It made me laugh.

Sttb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat tdi, 2001 jetta tdi, 2002 golf tdi auto:(
Not to make everybody jealous here but les opened a new shop like 10 miles from my house and I also have metalman who is like 20 mins from where I live. 2 of the best within 20 mins. ��

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Not to make everybody jealous here but les opened a new shop like 10 miles from my house and I also have metalman who is like 20 mins from where I live. 2 of the best within 20 mins. ��
Les's shop in mount pleasant mills is like 2.5 hours from me..

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
You'll love the car with the exhaust and tune. April of this year I had my car straight piped (3 inch pipe) along with a Malone stage II tune and it completely changed the car. The exhaust isn't loud by any means (coming from a straight piped Cummins, at least) but it sounds great and the extra power makes the driving experience so much more enjoyable.

I plan on installing the Diesel Geek Sigma 6 short shift kit sometime fairly soon as well which should make the car even more fun to drive.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
lol gotta have your dpf on your little 2.0 engine...yet the us government can pump what millions of gallons of fuel threw their navy ships dicking around the oceans, wonder if they have dpfs or the fact that it likely spews more pollution starting then a 2.0 tdi would in its entire life tenfold. Im all for protecting our earth and making everything better but the long and short of it is a giant money grab, electric cars are like triple the pollution to make...windmills are 2 or 3 times the energy to make then they could ever remake....problem is the government, those who run the world want money and nothing more they dont give a flying monkey about anything else.

(correction they use 1.3 billion gallons a year...yah no wonder we worry about cars lol)

Last edited: