2006 Jetta TDI Oil Capacity

kuproverto

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI PD
It's approaching the time for me to perform the 5000 mile oil change on my 2006 Jetta TDI.

I thought about buying a Motive Power Extractor, some Elf Excellium DID 5w40 505.01 oil and the filter from tdiparts.com

How much oil do I need to buy?

How long does oil keep if I don't use all in a bottle? I only drive 8,000 - 10,000 miles per year so oil changes will be infrequent.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the Motive Power Extractor? Should I buy a Pela or another brand instead?

dany_ro

TDI
Jetta 2006
I have done 3 of these changes so far and I got a litttle more than 4 liters of oil each time. So buy 5 liters. In fact TDIparts have a 5 liter jug available which is a bit cheaper. I also find out that buying the oil and filter at the dealer (Castrol 505.1) is a bit cheaper when considering shipping costs.

I usually keep what is left in the trunk just in case. I had to use some once after a very long trip to Colorado where I had the car loaded, a cargo box on the roof and blasting up the freeway at 80mph.

I use the Pela... works fine.

8 to 10K a year is not a lot for a Diesel. Looks like you may need to extend your drive in the winter just to get the temperature to go up!

Best of luck!

kuproverto

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI PD
Thanks for the reply.

I presume the oil change procedure is much like the one depicted on the A4 oil change video on this site?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
5 to 6 litre for top off actuall no cooler drain you can make it on 5 lt till 10k

stu4rtparker

Is the 5K mile oil change your choice, what I have learned from this site, is many of you change the oil/filter @ 5K mls, why, its not due till 10K mls, unless car on variable service.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
stu4rtparker said:
Is the 5K mile oil change your choice, what I have learned from this site, is many of you change the oil/filter @ 5K mls, why, its not due till 10K mls, unless car on variable service.
Wrong, first oil change on the TDI is due at 5k, second at 10k, third at 20k and the intervals are every 10k miles from there. The first two are at 5k intervals.

stu4rtparker

Thats strange, in europe 1st oil change due @ 10K mls/1yr if on fixed service interval, is it because you guys did have high sulphur diesel.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
IIRC, in Europe they use 506.01 oil which has extended drain intervals. I can't really comment on Europe too much because I am not that familiar with those vehicles.

Sulphur content could have something to do with it since the engine will tend to have a little more blow-by until it is broken in....which could lead to increased soot levels in the engine oil.....hence the shorter interval for the first two changes.