02 Jetta TDI. 5 speed grinding 1 to 2 and 2 to 3rd

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
I've got an 02 jetta with a grinding problem that just started. Grinds 1st to 2nd when shifting and occasionally when going into 3rd (3rd is mostly when downshifting). I've adjusted the shifting cables per the dieselgeek tutorial and that didn't help...may have made the 2nd gear grinding worse.

Car has 238,000 miles with I believe the original clutch and transmission. Fluid was changed with VW fluid at 200,000 miles.

I'm fearing the clutch and synchros are at the end of their life. What are my options? Rebuild, 6 speed, new clutch etc.? What would you do if it was yours?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Change fluid again and try the SychroMesh with friction modifiers. Many have had great results and if it doesn't help you're out about $20 and a half hour of time.

Smooth_Puddin

TDI
03 Jetta TDi Wagon 6 Speed
Yep, what wreck said. Penzoil Synchromesh should do the trick, it's helped me with 2 trannies about the same mileage. Haven't had a grind since. You will need 3 bottles but will only use a little bit out of the third one.

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
Is there more than 1 kind of Pennzoil synchromesh? I only found 1 kind at autoparts store.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
The "with Friction Modifiers" note is, as much as I know, only applicable to the AC Delco Synchromesh fluid(s). If you go to get this it's only available from on-line or from GM(? dealer). I went with it after my research turned up not a single instance of anyone ever dumping it out after switching to it. Pennzoil is a very close second and is available at most any automotive parts box store (and likely Walmart too).

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
I've got an 02 jetta with a grinding problem that just started. Grinds 1st to 2nd when shifting and occasionally when going into 3rd (3rd is mostly when downshifting). I've adjusted the shifting cables per the dieselgeek tutorial and that didn't help...may have made the 2nd gear grinding worse.

Car has 238,000 miles with I believe the original clutch and transmission. Fluid was changed with VW fluid at 200,000 miles.

I'm fearing the clutch and synchros are at the end of their life. What are my options? Rebuild, 6 speed, new clutch etc.? What would you do if it was yours?
Edit - Doh.... And I read that twice before I posted. I'm not sure if that was a case of too much coffee or not enough.:rolleyes: /Edit

Have you adjusted the shifter cables? There are several tutorial videos on youtube and I'm sure many threads on many forums describing how to do it. I almost didn't open this thread because I expected cable adjustment to be suggested already. In a nutshell: You have to loosen the clips at the transmission end of the cables, remove the shifter cover, move the shifter into a specific location and secure it by using a pin or drill bot of a certain size and then tightening the clips again. It's been a couple of years since I've done this so I may have the steps out of order but that's pretty much all there is to it. I'd try that first before a new fluid. Not to say the fluid is a bad idea either way, but these cables do need adjustment occasionally. P.s. I'm going to try that Penzoil Synchromesh myself.

Last edited:

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
My 01 Golf began to have shifting issues with the original clutch at 265K miles. Downshifts were fine, but upshifting at moderate speeds would be difficult. Shifting slowly and letting the engine speed drop made the shifting feel normal, but that's no way to drive. I bought my Golf used with 80K miles and always noticed the clutch pedal vibrated a lot. At 180K miles, I noticed the clutch chattered at idle and the clutch started slipping at WOT in top gear.

I finally had it with the shifter and clutch, so I took my car, VR6 clutch, SMF, taller 5th gear set, and Peloquin LSD to a local garage for some service. Apparently my DMF and clutch disc looked just fine. The pressure plate on the other hand had two broken fingers, which explains the chattering, vibrations, and difficult shifting. I had them drill out three holes to ensure my 5th gear is getting proper lubrication and they filled up the tranny with AC Delco (GM) Synchromesh. They inspected my synchros and said they looked good, but they did replace the shift fork.

All that worked solved all my problems and my clutch pedal has just about zero vibration and a lot less resistance/feedback. My car has never felt this good.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
I had the same problem even with new VW stuff.
Switched to the GM Syncromesh and 100 times better.
Only get a little grind downshifting to first once in a while.

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
I changed the fluid and put the pennzoil sychromesh in and it cured the 1 to 2 grind but now I have a grind from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4.....smh.:(

They are very minor grinds and I didn't drive very far so not many shifts. I'm going to drive it a bit and get the transmission good and warm and see if it goes away.

I've been over the shift cable adjustment a couple of times and I'm confident its right used both alignment pins and took the slack out of both cables one was fine the other was well out of adjustment.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I went through something similar w/ the gearbox in my '01. The 02J transmission is pretty simple as manual transmissions go. I opened mine up and discovered the synchros were worn beyond the .030" tolerance. This is likely your case. The parts you'll need quickly add up to the price of a used transmission, sadly. I got a used transmission and swapped it in pretty much a one-day job for the DIY-type. Now I have the old gearbox sitting in my shop silently mocking me and I suppose eventually I'll buy the synchros and whatever bearings and seals and so on I need and rebuild it but frankly I'm not looking forward to it.

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
I the pennzoil synchromesh did the trick. I've driven it for 2 days and no grinding at all. I'm not sure its "fixed" but its fixed for now. Thank you to everyone who replied hopefully this will help others.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
I the pennzoil synchromesh did the trick. I've driven it for 2 days and no grinding at all. I'm not sure its "fixed" but its fixed for now. Thank you to everyone who replied hopefully this will help others.
Im going to try the same thing. Have a grinding into 3rd thats intermittent this might help

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Yeah, I was going to comment that one needs to give new fluids time to fully engage with the synchros: need to get the old fluid off of the synchros.

Good you're working now:)

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
I want to add after some driving the transmission has never shifted better since I've owned it. Fluid was changed about 40,000 miles ago with VW but its not nearly as good as the sychromesh.

Thanks again for all the help!!