Serious dsg issues

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Looking for issues youve had with a DSG and the resolution for the issue. DSG's get alota bad hype but so many run and run with proper care. So if youve had an issue and can share how the next guy might be able to resolve his issues this might help others understand how worthwhile a DSG can be...

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
With regular fluid changes every 40K, haven't heard of anyone around me having a single issue.

Even those buying used with no previous servicing, fluid and filter change hasn't revealed anything odd.

Keep in mind the DSG is nothing more than a manual transmission with an auto shift (Mechatronic) system added to do the clutching and shifting. Its not likely you will have any issues beyond what a manual transmission owner would see.

Given the fact the computer does the clutch work, the DMF should last longer since you can't dump the clutch.

It simply removes all the owner induced issues that can pop up over time common to a manual transmission, in other words they should last longer despite the more frequent fluid changes.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Pete, what kind of stress does launch control put on the DSG?

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
^I'm interested in knowing what kind of abuse these transmissions can take. I have always been a manual gearbox kind of guy but drove a JSW with a tuned DSG and fell in love with it. I have been contemplating purchasing a newer TDI with a DSG but have plans for a big turbo and tuning in the future. How much hp and tq can it handle (with DSG tuning, of course). A DSG tune is much cheaper and easier than an upgraded clutch in a MK6.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
http://www.sspperformance.com/vw-audi-02e-dsg/02e-dsg-performance-clutches-direct-shift-gearbox.html

If you really have the upgrade/racing bug, you can also update the clutches.

the SSG http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW%20Files/DSG-SSP.pdf

says the stock design is good for :

Maximal 258 lbs-ft (350 Nm) (engine dependent)
Thanks for those links but I have no intentions (at the moment anyways) of going that crazy. I know the stock torque limit is 258 lbs-ft but know the transmission can be tuned to increase that. My questions is regarding how much the transmission can handle (tuned of course) before reliability is compromised. I expect to break 200 hp and around 350-400 lbs-ft torque when I eventually swap cars.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
The link isn't in front of me but I remember reading on R32 forums someone who was dyno tuning with a tuned DSG and they (with AWD, so no "wheelspin") were very surprised at how robust and slip-resistant the stock DSG clutches were with the proper software tuning. Upgraded clutch packs were not needed until stupid levels of power.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
since ssp performance sells a stage 3 clutch kit that they rate at 700 ft lbs, it would seem the rest of the transmission is pretty rugged.

the only other parts they seem to sell are external coolers.