TDI SEL with 18" wheel and low profile tires (45s) concerns.

bel57air

TDI
looking at new passat
Hi,
I will be picking up a new TDI SEL in a few days, as the individual that pre-ordered the car backed out, and I was in right place at right time (as I was 4 months from getting my delivery). My concerns: ride quality on the 18"wheel and low profile tire? The dealer says they can swap out wheel and install 17", but it looks as if I have pleanty of fender clearance to run a taller 18" tire (60-70?) after initial set? Anyone else runing taller tire on the 18"?? Thoughts?
Thanks

Diesel Ed

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG); 09 Jetta TDI (DSG, Sedan)
It rides great on the 18's and OEM tires. They're pretty comfort/ride oriented, something more sport/summer oriented would be stiffer, these are plenty soft. The roads I've driven it on are plenty rough.

I would not go taller than 235/50, and even that's gonna throw your speedometer and the rest off. 235/60 or 70 would be MASSIVE, and likely would not fit.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
No real complaints about the Hankook ride quality, but I'm looking forward to replacing them with quieter tires.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I cannot recall anyone thinking the Passat (any trim level) is too stiff. Tire noise is another story. :) The tire tread and compound make a larger difference in how it handles than the size. It comes with highway/touring tires, not high performance stiff sidewall tires. Changing the tire size can negatively affect many parts of modern vehicles. I do not recommend it without significant research.

Diesel Ed

TDI
I have the ENVigors on my Bonneville, and just be warned they are a 3 season tire that will survive in light snow. They are a great choice if you have snow tires, but want something that will be fine in cooler weather and if you can't get around to swapping and some snow rolls in.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Hi,
I will be picking up a new TDI SEL in a few days, as the individual that pre-ordered the car backed out, and I was in right place at right time (as I was 4 months from getting my delivery). My concerns: ride quality on the 18"wheel and low profile tire? The dealer says they can swap out wheel and install 17", but it looks as if I have pleanty of fender clearance to run a taller 18" tire (60-70?) after initial set? Anyone else runing taller tire on the 18"?? Thoughts?
Thanks
No - it rides like rubbish. Drive to California and ill trade you the wheels off of my SE.

:D

and ill take you out for dinner.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I have the ENVigors on my Bonneville, and just be warned they are a 3 season tire that will survive in light snow. They are a great choice if you have snow tires, but want something that will be fine in cooler weather and if you can't get around to swapping and some snow rolls in.
LOL! I read it to mean that yours lasted only 3 seasons before needing replacement.

Yes, I have the blizzaks ws70 for the winter since you need them around here.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Another thing about the Hankook Optimos...70-85f ambient (FL spring) they flatspot after sitting overnight...arrgghhh...

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I agree with staying with the 18s on this car. VW design these cars this way for a reason. I don't know what it is, but neither does the salesman. All I can say is my Passat gets better mileage than my previous Jetta TDI and it's bigger and heavier...you do the math.

I took off my Hankooks and installed Toyo Versados. I run them at 35 psi instead of 33. They are quiet on descent roads. I will put the Hankooks back on in 50,000 miles when I trade in the car.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I agree with staying with the 18s on this car. VW design these cars this way for a reason. I don't know what it is, but neither does the salesman. All I can say is my Passat gets better mileage than my previous Jetta TDI and it's bigger and heavier...you do the math.

I took off my Hankooks and installed Toyo Versados. I run them at 35 psi instead of 33. They are quiet on descent roads. I will put the Hankooks back on in 50,000 miles when I trade in the car.
VW sells the Passat with OEM sixteen and seventeen inch wheels and tires in addition to the eighteen, it is not designed exclusively for eighteen inch wheels.

IMHO the consumer fad of large wheels is the reason VW places eighteen inch wheels on the SEL. Big wheels are considered premium. And they are, premium cost to replace wheels and premium cost for replacement tires.

Passat TDI ride quality if fine with the 18" wheels. And the seventeen and the sixteen.

I prefer the lower cost, lighter weight, less rolling mass, more resistant to damage, smaller wheels. I'm not in love with bigger is better wheels.:D

VW_JW

TDI
2012 Passat TDi SEL Prem on order
There is now an option in the VW web configurator to select either 17" or 18" wheels for the TDI SEL.

Diesel Ed

TDI
Our SE w/ Nav and Sunroof came with the 18's. Looks-wise, they're my favorite wheel, but yeah, 18" tires aren't cheap.

Team TDI

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
18" Wheels on TDI SE Nav & Sunroof

My 2012 (Feb '12 build) came with 18" wheels (which look great) and Hankooks. I think my car is identical to Diesel Ed's.
I can't wait to buy a new set of 18" rubber, it won't be cheap.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Tires are about $900 18s vs $600 for the 17s. That was just a quick browse on TireRack - I'm sure there's a range depending on what brand you get.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Tires are about $900 18s vs $600 for the 17s. That was just a quick browse on TireRack - I'm sure there's a range depending on what brand you get.
Did you notice a price on 16's, for the gasser models that are standard or S models?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I didn't even think to look. I think 16s would look too small since the Passat has such huge wheel wells.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Tire size will be the same. A good looking 16" aluminum wheel will still look fine the a Passat. 215/60R16 would be good, similar size overall to the SEL 18"s at least. Tirerack has a viewer to see what the wheels would look like on your car. Some lightweight 16's wheels should even help fuel economy.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
My previous car was an 03 Altima on 18s running 225/45 tires. Never a problem and that included driving in places some people won't take a truck.

It was stock with 215/55/17s and they were a quieter but that is such an odd size that tires were very expesive. I paid almost 2k for my first set of studded tires on those 17s. They were actually taller like you are wondering about. Better ride out of the taller tire, but hard to compare otherwise with studs.

Personally give the experiences I had is the reason I chose the 17s on the Passat. After that Altima and the money spent on tires I look at tire costs on all car purchases and the 18 inch size is easily $2-400 more expensive than 17s.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
16's look perfectly fine

It'll look hideous on a car this big.
Proportions looked good and the overall apperance is pleasing with 16" San Jose wheels included on 2.5 S with appearance package.

I'd personally be happy with these wheels on either the SEL or SE.

Overall wheel and tire circumference is the same for 16" , 17" and 18" wheels. Wheel wells are the same size too.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Proportions looked good and the overall apperance is pleasing with 16" San Jose wheels included on 2.5 S with appearance package.

I'd personally be happy with these wheels on either the SEL or SE.

Overall wheel and tire circumference is the same for 16" , 17" and 18" wheels. Wheel wells are the same size too.
As would I. There seems to be plenty of tire diameter to fill up the wheel wells for appearance purposes. Low profile tires look fine on Golf GTI's, not so much on working vehicles that rack up huge miles every month, or for folks whose job includes driving and being paid by the mile, who wish to minimize operating costs over the life of the vehicle, especially service industry folks.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm not saying that the wheel/tire combo will be smaller overall, but there will be more black space given the larger tires.

Lawless_TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2012 Passat SEL
I love the 18's, not the tires. Super noisy! If these weren't brand new, I'd get a set of Cont DWS's. I have a set on my 04 and I love them! Super quiet, stick like glue and wear great.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
As would I. There seems to be plenty of tire diameter to fill up the wheel wells for appearance purposes. Low profile tires look fine on Golf GTI's, not so much on working vehicles that rack up huge miles every month, or for folks whose job includes driving and being paid by the mile, who wish to minimize operating costs over the life of the vehicle, especially service industry folks.

+1 I would Gladly trade my 18"s for 17"s for that very reason. Even better I would go with 16"s because of the cost to replace the actual tire is cheaper.

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
I have 17" and they ride much quieter than the 18" on the test vehicle. I also have 16" winter tires and they work fine, ride better, handle pot holes and cost much less.