Wrong oil in 14 JSW

Carsonjk

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI Manual
So despite assuring me he knew what oil needed to be in our TDI, the shop put in this http://www.mobil.ca/canada-english-lcw/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_0w40.aspx#
Mobile 1 0w-40 which is VW rated for 502 and 505 and Mobile 1 also lists their own recommendation of 503 but it is not rated at 507!
To give them credit, they do get 505.01 into my 05 PD but this is our new baby's first change with us and I like to drive 10k on each change.

My question is this, how much do I freak out? It has only gone a quarter mile so far and I am not getting any breaks on this $80 oil change despite trying, it would just be a new hit on the wallet after I find the right oil.
Is the DPF system so sensitive that I don't want to even risk it for 5k or so? I imagine plenty of people drive their TDI's around knowing nothing about any of this or just trusting the dealer which pulls this shiz just as often and I haven't read reports of a lot of problems with these cars even having been around for a good while now. We are planning on leaving for a road trip tomorrow pulling a lil 1200 lb camper. WTH should I do?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would put a 507 00 compliant oil in before the trip.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Leaving aside the question of the shop that did the OC making it right, the question at this point is whether or not it's worth $80 to you to be driving on your upcoming trip with the proper oil. I can't say what I would do, because I change my own oil.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
If your DPF is intact, I would change it before going to far. I concur with the others that its not going to explode in the next 10 miles but for my own peace of mind I would change it out before going to far...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't fret too much. Yes, the M1 0w-40 is higher in ash content than 507, but no damage will incur. Now if your car burns 5 quarts of oil every 10k miles, then it would probably shorten your dpf life somewhat. FWIW, I run that oil during winter in my deleted common rail, and am quite happy with it.

Carsonjk

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI Manual
Sweet, thanks for the responses. I simply didn't have time to change it even though I picked up a load of Mobil 1 ESP today, it was on sale at Napa for $6 and change and I can even use it in my PD! I'm pretty excited to use the same oil in both cars now and I may need to order more while its so cheap to just have around.
The 2014 is out of warranty and I plan on getting 507 in it in 5k or so, I cant stomach just wasting a good load of oil out of paranoia so thanks for confirming what I was already thinking.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Sweet, thanks for the responses. I simply didn't have time to change it even though I picked up a load of Mobil 1 ESP today, it was on sale at Napa for $6 and change and I can even use it in my PD! I'm pretty excited to use the same oil in both cars now and I may need to order more while its so cheap to just have around.
The 2014 is out of warranty and I plan on getting 507 in it in 5k or so, I cant stomach just wasting a good load of oil out of paranoia so thanks for confirming what I was already thinking.
I don't own a PD but everything I have read on these forums sez don't use anything but a 40w oil due to the cam wear issues you may encounter.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I don't own a PD but everything I have read on these forums sez don't use anything but a 40w oil due to the cam wear issues you may encounter.
I spent quite bit of time going through the European VW/TDI forums to find out if the use of 507 oils has had a negative impact (premature wear out) on the cam of PD cams and I did not find any indications of such scenario. Remember, in Europe, there has a considerable much larger number of TDI PDs on the road and the VW 507 oil spec has been used before and on much larger quantities than in North America. Also do not confuse the robustness and oil qualities of a 505.01 5W-30 oil with the ones of a 507 5W-30 oil:

https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
True. The 507 oils very nearly meet the viscosity requirements of a 5w-40.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
As an aside, do not go to the quicky oil change places, it will not save you money in the long run. At some point they will probably over tighten your aluminum oil pan oil plug and expect you to pony up to replace the oil pan they FUBARed.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I spent quite bit of time going through the European VW/TDI forums to find out if the use of 507 oils has had a negative impact (premature wear out) on the cam of PD cams and I did not find any indications of such scenario. Remember, in Europe, there has a considerable much larger number of TDI PDs on the road and the VW 507 oil spec has been used before and on much larger quantities than in North America. Also do not confuse the robustness and oil qualities of a 505.01 5W-30 oil with the ones of a 507 5W-30 oil:

https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html
If you are comparing a 5w-30 & 5w-40 505.01 oil to a 507 oil specs the following link shows they are virtually the same oil.

Valvoline SynPower™ Motor Oils: non-ILSAC Grades
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf
MST 5W-30 505.01
MST 5W-40 505.01
XL-III 5W-30 507

Now if you check out a CJ4 oil you have more opportunity to pick an oil tailored for a PD engine viscosity wise and velocity index wise.
I am not saying an oil solves all PD problems. I am saying the right CJ4 0il will do better in a PD engine under certain circumstances. The one common denominator I am removing is the additive package.

Once a cam reaches 70 to 80 C the additive package takes over, Viscosity has very little effect as long as you have at least 3.5, preferably 3.7-4.0 HTHS.

VW dictated the viscosity requirements and locked them in for 505.01 and 507

A CJ4 oil can have any variation of viscosity requirements based on the different environmental conditions.

I know exactly what I want and there is only one oil that is close to my requirements.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I meant to say Xw-40. I'd guess 95% + are using the 5w-30 507.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Thanks James & Son for sharing the information from Valvoline. From a VW perspective the 507 oils are required a much higher standard regarding wear as opposed to the 505.01 spec:

Engine Oil Requirements for Volkswagen's Light Duty Diesel Engines

We are talking almost three times longer requirements of wear test of a 507 oil spec vs a 505.01 (650 hours vs. 250 hours).

Ok maybe this is all theory and it practice it has zero value for North American TDI cars because CJ heavy duty diesel spec oils are "thicker and cheaper" for our PD engines.

So the question has gone unanswered so far: why the real world use of 507 specs oils in PD European engines has not resulted in reportable premature wear out of cams?

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
tikal, that link is a good read but the last page is a bit humorous. Heading of "Engine Oil Requirements for Volkswagen's Light Duty Diesel Engine - Summary"

the very first bullet point states: "Latest Diesel Engines are highly efficient and fulfill all emission regulations."

I guess when we fast-forward to today we can see the falacy in this statement.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
a big reason for the newer oils I was told by an engineer, is to prevent cam wear with the high pressures the engines run at,, Personally, I'd get it out asap as I dont want to be replacing parts in a few yrs because of an oops someone made..If they put the wrong oil in, take it back and tell them they screwed up, and you are contacting corporate, or the local TV consumer host..

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
a big reason for the newer oils I was told by an engineer, is to prevent cam wear with the high pressures the engines run at,, Personally, I'd get it out asap as I dont want to be replacing parts in a few yrs because of an oops someone made..If they put the wrong oil in, take it back and tell them they screwed up, and you are contacting corporate, or the local TV consumer host..

That engineer was wrong. The newer oils like the 507 spec have a weak TBN and little zinc wear additive to keep the ash low. It's really only to prevent premature loading of the emissions gear.