Favorite restaurant in Boston?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hi guys. Looking for some advice on restaurants in the greater Boston area. We're adventurous eaters and really enjoy sampling local cuisines so anything is fair game. We've never had fresh lobster so we have to hit up at least one good seafood joint. 10 year anniversary road trip and I want to show the Mrs a good time. Also welcome any ideas for must-see items in the area.

TIA. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What do you want to eat? What price range? Boston is an incredible restaurant town. And unlike many US cities, it has many independently owned and operated ones, not chains.

If you want seafood and a little adventure go to The Daily Catch or Neptune Oyster in the North End (Boston's Italian neighborhood). Both are tiny, loud, but have exceptional fresh seafood. I always think The Daily Catch is trying to determine if it's possible to use too much garlic. Not sure they have an answer yet. And when you order a seafood dish with pasta, they serve it to you in the skillet they used to cook it. Just keep in mind they're cash only. Neptune is also exceptional.

Pizza in the North End? My favorite is the original Regina Pizzeria on Thatcher Street.

If you want seafood in a nicer setting I'd go to the Island Creek Oyster Restaurant in Kenmore Square. And if you must have a water view with your seafood the Legal Seafood in South Boston is a beautiful spot.

Lots of other great places, too. I could go on.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Wow. Thanks Peter. We're actually renting a place in the North End so those are good picks.

Really, we're up for anything. Just want to know places that locals recommend.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You'll also have to grab an espresso at the Cafe Dello Sport on Hanover Street. Great place for dessert, too.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
The north end is great.... Probably the most european-esque city area in the US. Just walk around a little and you'll find good places to grab a snack or cannoli :)

This is going to sound a little cheesy to the locals, but if you have time to walk the Freedom Trail, I think it's worth it. I'd been to Boston zillions of times as a kid and in college. Took the T all over, been to all the museums etc. But in my mid 20's I went with some friends to show someone from Germany around, and we walked it. Surprisingly not that long. Makes you realize how close everything is. Good times.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not cheezy. Freedom trail is a lot of fun. And you can start it right in the North End at Paul Revere's house.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
What do you want to eat? What price range? Boston is an incredible restaurant town. And unlike many US cities, it has many independently owned and operated ones, not chains.

If you want seafood and a little adventure go to The Daily Catch or Neptune Oyster in the North End (Boston's Italian neighborhood). Both are tiny, loud, but have exceptional fresh seafood. I always think The Daily Catch is trying to determine if it's possible to use too much garlic. Not sure they have an answer yet. And when you order a seafood dish with pasta, they serve it to you in the skillet they used to cook it. Just keep in mind they're cash only. Neptune is also exceptional.

Pizza in the North End? My favorite is the original Regina Pizzeria on Thatcher Street.

If you want seafood in a nicer setting I'd go to the Island Creek Oyster Restaurant in Kenmore Square. And if you must have a water view with your seafood the Legal Seafood in South Boston is a beautiful spot.

Lots of other great places, too. I could go on.
Your post made my mouth water. Brought back memories of when I lived up there. The Daily Catch is one of my all-time favorites. We still go there occasionally when visiting friends in the Boston area.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Your post made my mouth water. Brought back memories of when I lived up there. The Daily Catch is one of my all-time favorites. We still go there occasionally when visiting friends in the Boston area.
Well if that isn't a recommendation then I don't know what is! :)

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Be prepared for a wait. Tiny means seating for 20, at least in the case of The Daily Catch in the north end.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
If they have a special of soft crabs, order it. I grew up on them down here, and The Daily Catch was the only place in New England that I ever found them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
No reservations. Hard to say if earlier or later is better. I don't think they're open that late. Most places in the North End stop seating at 9. And in case I forgot to mention it, they're cash only.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Last time we were there, it was the feast of Saint Anthony, so the North End was impossible. We decided to go over to the Northern Ave. Daily Catch across from Jimmy's, but it wasn't there and neither was Jimmy's??? The pier where Jimmy's used to be was a construction site, but we did an iPhone search and found that the Daily Catch had moved a few blocks west on northern Ave. and was still open. The food was as good as we had remembered.

Last edited:

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
We are just looking for a quick, inexpensive meal, if we have to eat in Boston. Haven't done it in a while, though. Usually:

1. We really like the early bar menu at McCormick & Schmick's at Faneuil Hall: http://bostononbudget.com/always-cheap-eats/. Very inexpensive as long as you sit in the bar area and get a drink.

2. The early bird two-fers in the North End on the two main streets or a side street, like Fleet. Just walk up and down the street, and they will have two-fer signs out front. Two meals and maybe even a bottle of wine for a great price, as long as you don't mine an early dinner.

If just me for lunch, I'll grab something at Faneuil Hall.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
McCormick & Schmick is a national chain and the food is meh at best. You want good seafood in Boston... Daily Catch, Summer Shack, or No Name.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
We don't eat seafood. I cook a lot, so we don't go out to restaurants when I can make something better. The early bar menu at M&S is good to grab a quick meal in Boston if you need dinner. If we're in Boston, the last thing I want to do is waste time sitting in a restaurant.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Did you read the OP's first post? He specifically asked for seafood recommendations and for some of us, a good meal in a nice restaurant is anything but a waste of time... Just sayin'.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
When I am away I eat at restaurants...as my kitchen doesnt come with me. And I am an exceptional cook. So when looking for restaurants...I tend to be picky. Just ask my wife. The OP likes seafood. The suggested places are excellent. I could add to them...but I think they are all set.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
2. The early bird two-fers in the North End on the two main streets or a side street, like Fleet. Just walk up and down the street, and they will have two-fer signs out front. Two meals and maybe even a bottle of wine for a great price, as long as you don't mine an early dinner.

If just me for lunch, I'll grab something at Faneuil Hall.
How early does one need to eat to find these sort of two-fers? Never heard of such a thing. Thanks for the tip!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
When I am away I eat at restaurants...as my kitchen doesnt come with me. And I am an exceptional cook. So when looking for restaurants...I tend to be picky. Just ask my wife. The OP likes seafood. The suggested places are excellent. I could add to them...but I think they are all set.
Thanks for the confirmation Chris.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Top of the Hub is a fairly iconic Boston restaurant. The food is usually excellent though you go there for the experience/view more then the grub.

lag_lag_bye...

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 6M, Black - (SOLD)
Five Horses Tavern on Columbus Ave is a nice spot in the South End (2-3/5 $ wise). Lots of beer choices, as well as

Cinquecento Roman Trattoria on Harrison Ave is probably the best Italian restaurant I've ever been to that's not in the traffic mess in the north end (5/5 $ wise)

In terms of quick eats in the Fenway area (which is fun to walk around during a game night). Tasty Burger for your classic burger, fries and a shake. If you want the best burrito in Boston, head over to El Pelon Taqueria on Peterborough St.

As for Seafood - Head over to Legal Seaport (or any legal seafood in the city really). I really dislike No Name after a bad experience. As for good views and cheap food, you can't go wrong with the Jerry Remy's in the Seaport.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I may have missed if you said how long you'll be in the best city in the US (my opinion), but you may also consider venturing to some neighborhoods. I rarely go into downtown to eat, because there are so many fabulous restaurants in the neighborhoods near me. I live in Jamaica Plain (JP)--one of the neighborhoods that make up Boston--which has a "high street" with numerous restaurants. Most of them are easily accessible by foot, MBTA, or rental bikes that are available all over the city.

A few non-downtown recommendations:
1. La Morra (One of Tom Brady & Giselle's favorites) in Brookline.
2. Centre Street Cafe in JP has great breakfast, but often a line
3. Spoke in Somerville-I haven't been but have heard rave reviews from many friends
4. Cambridge Brewing Co in Kendall Square has an eclectic "locavore" menu and is one of the best craft breweries in the US.
5. Gallway House in JP is one of my favorites. It's a classic pub where all the locals go and the food is always great. If you have a car, parking is pretty easy.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-restaurants-in-boston/
http://boston.eater.com/maps/best-boston-restaurants-38

Some tourist recommendations:
Boston Harbor cruise
Rent bikes and ride along the Charles River--there are paths on both sides and you can ride from downtown to Harvard Square, and further to Watertown and Waltham. It's a beautiful, flat ride with many options to turn around. https://www.thehubway.com/ https://www.cityofboston.gov/bikes/share.asp http://trailmap.mapc.org/
Walk the Freedom Trail
Fenway Park/Red Sox
Go to the top of the Hancock Tower (the blue glass sliver building in Copley Square) now called 200 Clarendon
Walking: Copley Square, Newbury Street, Commonwealth Ave (the Emerald Necklace), Boston Public Garden/The Common, Beacon Hill, Rose Kennedy Greenway
Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market (tourist mecca)
Boston Public Market
Museums (Gardner would be my choice if you only have time for one)

I hope you have some time to enjoy Boston! What a great anniversary gift!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Trip Report

Well we made it back safe and sound. 3500 miles on the old girl and set a couple of records. First record: going from Marquette to Niagara I recorded my best tank ever of 59.4mpg. Second record: I'm sure we set some sort of average caloric intake record. :eek: I'm embarrassed to say it but good lord there was some good eats on our trip.

The apartment that we rented (airbnb) was on Henchman street which is on the north end of the North End...about a block north of the North Church.

We did make it to the Daily Catch. It was a very interesting dining experience. We sat shoulder to shoulder with two other couples at the same table bunched together and all of the tables were essentially right in the kitchen. We luckily got there early enough (around 6pm) so we were able to sit right down. Not long after we arrived the line started forming outside. We had a seafood meatball appetizer which was ok but barely warm. We ordered the Monkfish marsala and their Putanesca black pasta both of which were absolutely amazing.

Afterwards we made it over to Mike's Pastry to try a cannoli. Again, we just beat a ridiculous rush into the shop of about 50 or 60 people.

We found one of our favorite places to grab a bite was Bova's bakery. I'm very glad we don't have something like this within walking distance of our place in MN as I would be a much rounder gentleman. ;)

Another place we tried was the Union Oyster House. We had a wait over an hour for a table but we were at least in the bar during this time and it was worth the wait. Every single thing we ate topped our list as far as "best we've ever had".

As far as site seeing we walked some of the Freedom trail, skipping around to the places that interested us most. The USS Constitution museum was incredible but unfortunately the ship itself was under reconstruction. I really enjoyed watching the craftsmen replace the leading edge of the hull...not sure of the terms. We ended up walking all the way over to Harvard via MIT and then riding the red line back.

A very brief report but we had a fantastic time and I thank everyone for their recommendations and advice.