TEXAS and Emissions Testing???

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I was having a discussion with a fellow Texan in class this morning. A couple of Californians were whining about emissions testing. I stated that my car was exempt. The Texan promptly chimed in about how I must've slipped through a loop hole because his turbodiesels ALWAYS get tested. I quoted a pamplet that the inspection station gave me in order to support their "requirement" to test my car. When I pointed out that the document said, "...on gasoline powered cars..." and that my car was DIESEL powered, I was off the hook.

My classmate feels that I slipped through a crack and that the law says "gasoline powered" means ANY fossil fuel. Since neither of us can provide supporting documentation for our cases, we don't know who's actually correct.

Can anyone clear this up, hopefully with a link to the law? Who got fooled? The guy that inspected my car in TX? Or this classmate that gets his diesels emissions tested in TX?

Thanks,

[ February 27, 2002, 11:48: Message edited by: Stealth TDI ]

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Now that I'm no longer in class and can't "win" the debate, I tripped over this:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/

It specifies that diesels are exempt.
Just make sure you print it and take it to the inspection station in case someone decides to pull one over on you.

Turbo Direct Injection

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL Indigo Blue Pearl
(Diesel powered vehicles are exempt from the emissions standards, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Just another added bonus of owning a TDI in that nonattainment area otherwise known as Dallas County.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Could be a fluke but my '77 Rabbit G60 failed a visual inspection for having an open element filter. I never researched it. I just went to an easier inspection station and passed. Gotta love Texas! I live in Austin.

Jim
dieselgeek.com

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Only certain Texas counties perform emissions tests. Luckily I don't live in a county that does emissions testing. So I have nothing to worry about with either vehicle I own.

BTW, you can tell your idiot friend that "gasoline powered vehicle" is a vehicle that is powered by GASOLINE! DUH! It doesn't say "diesel powered" and it doesn't say "LPG powered" and it doesn't say "CNG powered". It only says "gasoline powered". Meaning only GASOLINE POWERED vehicles apply.

Stupid people really piss me off. Especially when they can't admit when they're wrong. Even when the evidence is staring them right in the face.

[ May 29, 2002, 19:33: Message edited by: ProjectZwoTDI ]

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
In dirty Jersey they are exempt as well. The only thing they check for is excess smoke. I have yet to know of anyone with a problem at inspection, and I know people with old diesel rabbits that make more smoke then an incinerator!

Zeedaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2000, Bright Green
Originally Posted by OilBurnerBob In dieselphobic California, diesels are exempt from emissions testing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Go Figure
In Washoe County (Reno) NV they use a pipe sniffer and a Dyno for emmissions testing

[ June 01, 2002, 21:10: Message edited by: zeedaddy ]

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
Originally posted by ProjectZwoTDI:
Only certain Texas counties perform emissions tests. Luckily I don't live in a county that does emissions testing. So I have nothing to worry about with either vehicle I own.

BTW, you can tell your idiot friend that "gasoline powered vehicle" is a vehicle that is powered by GASOLINE! DUH! It doesn't say "diesel powered" and it doesn't say "LPG powered" and it doesn't say "CNG powered". It only says "gasoline powered". Meaning only GASOLINE POWERED vehicles apply.

Stupid people really piss me off. Especially when they can't admit when they're wrong. Even when the evidence is staring them right in the face.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't get too amazed. One of the online dictionaries lists "diesel" as "form of gasoline"?

I think it was dictionary.com, but it wouldn't come up a few minutes ago.

Makes you wonder you is actually writing the dictionary?

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
just to add fuel (diesel or gasoline) to the fire, my Texas vehicle registration renewal notice indicates that my Jetta TDI is "gas" powered.
I called the TX DOT about this, and the reasonable lady said that it's a known error, doesn't mean too much right now. She said that even trailers are described in their database as "gas" powered.
my faith in government is strengthened . . .

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

Out of curiosity, I looked at my paperwork. No mention of "gas" anywhere... even on my trailer registration. Was that mention of "gas" on your paperwork or in a database?

When I looked at my paperwork, YEAR/MAKE says, "1998/VOLK" and MODEL says, "JTD." I wonder what the gas Jetta says? Could "JTD" mean Jetta Diesel and perhaps the gasser is "JTG?" Hmmmm....

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Just took a look at my title. Luckily they got it right. Under the "remarks" they have ACTUAL MILEAGE and DIESEL.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
A California title will have a heading "fuel". G for gas and D for Diesel. This fuel heading on the registration tag is called "MP"(who knows why? Maybe it means method of propulsion??). D for diesel and nothing or G for gas.

GulfGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 01 Indigo
Gardentender -- When I first got my registration, I pointed out that mine was listed as gas instead of diesel. She said, we'll leave it as gas, diesel costs more (in road taxes).
At which point I declined not to push the issue any further and thanked her. True??? ... who knows; maybe she was fishing for a date.

[ June 19, 2002, 02:44: Message edited by: GulfGolfTDI (formerly mtillerson) ]

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Texas. Emissions. Hmmmmmmmmm.

You probably get failed if your car doesn't emit enough pollutants. It's taken as evidence that you aren't burnin' enough of W's buddies' wares.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by GotDiesel?:
Texas. Emissions. Hmmmmmmmmm.

You probably get failed if your car doesn't emit enough pollutants. It's taken as evidence that you aren't burnin' enough of W's buddies' wares.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Just be glad we finally have a President with some cajones to fight terrorism. Clinton did nothing. And Gore wouldn't have done anything either.