What did you do to your car today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sold this one.

Sorry to see it go, it was a very nice car. But A4 love made me say good-bye.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Got rear F-ing ended in the ALH driving home from visiting my 96 year old grandmother who lives alone and is about to leave to spend the summer with my aunt in Nevada.
Wish it had been the CR.
Damage is light, rear bumper cover, air tank which made one hell of a noise, and some light damage to the hatch which still operates fine.
Other driver was traveling way way to fast in the pouring down rain in an 08 Silverado which was toning a trailer loaded with a Honda GoldWing trike that didn't have a license plate.
Guy stopped (you might guy laugh, but it's a first for me, I guess being 6'3" 275 lbs is threatening according to the police here) I sat in car waiting for police to show up about an hour in the pouring down rain. He didn't get a ticket because he claims that I was stopped in the road.

I'm expecting his UsAgencies insurance to cover damage.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Since the weathers getting warmer decided to redo the Golfs suspension, koni yellows with eibach pro springs with all new hardware, components and tie rod ends. Last owner changed the control arms with TT bushings and new ball joints recently so didn't touch them.

Weird note the front passenger side is usually a pain to get out and requires removal of the control arm. . . Did something different, loosened the top ball joint nut to the end but still had it on and it gave me enough clearance for removing and installing the new struts.

Also swapped over to the BBS LM's, I'll need to go shopping for rubber soon as the rears are getting down.

https://instagram.com/p/1ibXWUlYlN/
dmoonen,

That Golf is lookin' good!! Nice work!

-M.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
The small (comparatively) amount of extra pollution from a couple thousand 2.0L TDIs with dpf deletes will have almost zero effect on people's everyday lives. If you are worried about pollution I would seek other avenues/industries to advocate against for the sheer amount of pollution production. There is a great documentary about our current energy situation called "Pandora's Promise". Much more evil out there than a few enthusiasts removing some bureaucratic emissions equipment.

Heck, 2nd hand smoke probably has more of a scientifically proven effect on more people than air pollution specifically from diesel exhaust. Idk

Whereas HIDs in stock housings will annoy hundreds of motorists everyday, but it's your car and people like what they like. What temp color did you get?........12000k

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
6000k, excellent choice. Considering half the light will be sprayed above the horizon you'll need that optimum color temp for the light that actually makes it on the road. Regardless of the color temp though, it's obnoxious....again imo.

Don't get me wrong, it looks hella dope (not sure if that nomenclature is current or not) and I remember putting 6000k HIDs in my car when I was 17.....got flashed all the time. But hey, prove me wrong and post a pic of the light cutoff at 150-200 feet, it might be razor sharp.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
Why bother to even HAVE a forum to post your stuff, if people are
going to dump on your posts? Total waste of time.. The theme of this
section is, tell us what you did to your car, and then everyone slams you
for it, or tells you ya did wrong; yes Daddy... Why bother...
If you are looking for someone to give you a pat on the back and a "nice job" you are looking in the wrong forum. You might try Vortex if you want to find some teenagers who think it is cool.
The people on this forum aren't here just for your approval. You will find lots of helpful information, opinions, and facts on here. If you would have asked anyone here, before you purchased your HIDs, you would have discovered why it is frowned upon.
Just one search with Google and there are pages upon pages of results on why it shouldn't be done.
Next time you pass a car that you can tell for sure has a DPF delete just let us know. It is much easier to identify HID bulbs in Halogen housings.
I dont mind it when I meet someone with your setup as I gladly high beam them back.
By the time your HID high beams have warmed up I will be long gone.
Yet another reason not to use HIDs in halogen housings. When you need your high beams in a hurry they won't be at full power until they have warmed up.

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Yes Daddy-wanna-be-cop... Bark-Bark, have a treat dude....

Physics? For what? LIGHT? I know how fast the speed of light is,
so what? Has nothing to do with the car... It's white, it's bright, and
it's light...

Still don't see the knocks for the pollution DPF delete, you hypocrite.
Has nothing to do with the car... Proved my idiot comment pretty quickly.

But I will apologize for naming calling, its not constructive. Here, how about reading what a veteran engineer and lighting design consultant has to say about your HID "kit."

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Full disclosure. I am a fan of HID lighting, but done properly. I have two sets of projectors and two sets of ballasts sitting on my desk ready for a retrofit but I'm not installing them until they're put in with the properly designed equipment for the application.

Please consider a full projector retrofit or put halogens back in. Those of us who drive past you at night will being thanking you every time we pass you.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
6000k is way into the blue, and totally annoying. Good luck spotting that deer!

-M.
OK, I'm a little confused here. "Daylight" is supposed to be 6500˚K I've replaced just about all of my bulbs in my house with "Daylight" bulbs and the light is much whiter than the previous "cool" and "warm" white bulbs (they were more "pinkish"). I don't see any blue tints in the daylight bulbs.

Now since color temperature is what we are talking about, why would a car light bulb be blue at 6500˚K while other bulbs are white at that color temp? Do non-automotive bulb have coatings that reduce the blue and increase the white?

Oh, and yes light does fall under physics as it is visible electromagnetic radiation.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I have had the same headlight bulbs in my car for over 3 years.
I only drive at night except weekends, then day and night.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
letting my car sit in the same spot while away on business for 2 weeks :eek:
anyone want to see a video of the startup when I get back home?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This is a warning to everyone who likes to get wrapped up in the HID retrofit discussions. If you all can't agree to disagree and you continue to hurl insults at one another and act like children, I'm going to start issuing bans... long bans. This is the second time I've had to intervene in this type of discussion, in this thread, this year.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
This is a warning to everyone who likes to get wrapped up in the HID retrofit discussions. If you all can't agree to disagree and you continue to hurl insults at one another and act like children, I'm going to start issuing bans... long bans. This is the second time I've had to intervene in this type of discussion, in this thread, this year.

What if folks are able to keep it at the discussion level without it descending into madness...is that ok?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Removed and cleaned a completely jammed 17/22 yesterday. Biggest surprise was just how little carbon/soot there actually was to clean. Gives pause. I mean this thing was totally jammed, no actuator movement at all. The amount of soot was way less than I expected. For all the work it was to remove, the cleaning only took about 15 minutes. Makes me think I'm going to keep things on the lean side in the future.

The other issue I'm battling is a totally buggered up downpipe stud on the manifold. Of course it's the hard one to reach. As this turbo was new when installed, I fear the guru who did the work had some trouble with it and, somehow, bent the stud and buggered the threads pretty good. Working out a solution before the re-install today. I have another turbo w/studs but none are coming out easily. Been soaking w/penetrating oil all night. Finger's crossed I can get both the damaged and replacement one out. Have wrap this up today for the drive to work tomorrow and neither are cooperating at this point.

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
What he did is not an HID retrofit. We don't want to confuse people. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What if folks are able to keep it at the discussion level without it descending into madness...is that ok?
Absolutely. What needs to stop is the HID police posting, the insults, the retaliation, childish quips, etc. Calling someone an idiot and linking repeatedly to Daniel Stern's website is obnoxious and troll baiting. We get it - the lights can glare and are illegal.

dmoonen

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta 1.9L TDI, 00 Jetta Alh and several others.
Anyways replaced the drivers side fender last night as the spec of rust was driving me insane. Just spent a good full day cleaning and detailing the Golf. Thing is now spotless inside, under and outside. On the hunt for a rust free hatch as the paints a bit off.

https://db.tt/dWqOII7a

Arch12

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux editition Black on Black

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Replaced my drivers front ABS sensor
Rotated tires
Installed new aluminum hubcentric rings in my wheels
Reinstalled my H&R hubcentric wheel spacers

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
It's nice. Just a bit lower. I'll post some photos later tonight.

However, after riding on BilliHDs for +60K miles, these new Koni Yellows are wonderful. The spring-time cracks and bumps on the roads are more tolerable.

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
New vacuum hoses on my wife's Golf and my Jetta. There was a hose clamp on the line going to the turbo actuator on the Golf which made removal from the top an arm scratching experience.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Drove the Jetta to the airport where it will wait patiently for 2 weeks till I get back from flying logs around. :)