EcoDiesel questions / WTB

nomad

Veteran Member
I'm interested in buying an EcoDiesel Jetta.

First, can anyone tell me about the "Good" years of this model? And what things to avoid? I'm located in Illinois and I would also appreciate any information on good Diesel techs who can handle it and inspect it properly.

I'm looking to spend no more than $6K-8K depending on the quality.

Maybe you know someone who has an Ecodiesel who now wants a TDI?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

VWx6

My daughter-in-law drives my old 1991 Jetta Ecodiesel, and it runs fine and burns no oil. I think my son told me it is up to 124,000 miles. It needed a new turbo last year: $2,800 and it had to be air shipped in from Germany. (They don't stock such an expensive part because there are so few Ecodiesels around). My son is looking for something fancy and I might buy it back from him if he does. It is very roomy with a huge trunk; maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed bigger than the A3 Jetta, which in turn seems bigger than the A4. The back seat does not fold down.

It has a mechanical throttle and you can bring it almost to a complete stop by downshifting. The brakes seem to last forever. It starts braking the instant you let off the gas. I've started it up as cold as 10 deg F with no problem. The A/C (freon) is colder than the new system.

It is not very fast; 59 HP, and the turbo is small, used primarily as a device to keep it clean, adding only 11 HP to the similar non-turbo engine. It get 42 MPG around town, and about 47 on the highway.

You close the sunroof and the windows and lock it the old fashioned way

I bought it brand new and it is still very special to me.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I sold my 1991 Jetta Eco-Diesel in January
to buy my 1997 Vw Passat TDI. An Excellent car although very slow and steady. And it performed exactly as the previous writer stated.But it had everything I needed Very cold A/C, Cruise control, and good tunes.
A very rare car, there were very few made between 1991 1/2 and 1992 and this was the last diesel exported before the TDI'S arrived in a passat in 1996.

There is a picture of it at www.vwworld.com
and go to gallery.
Tom Walker 1997 VW Passat TDI "Tornado Red"
PS I sold the car for 5000.00 But I have seen several advertised lately in the 2500-3500
range

[This message has been edited by tomo366 (edited July 26, 1999).]

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
"This was the last diesel ... before the TDI" ... 1992? Huh? Obviously we're in different countries!

Is the Eco-diesel that you refer to the same as the old indirect-injection 1.9L engine? I seem to recall numbers more like 75 HP from that engine. I've never heard the term Eco-diesel before.

I test-drove a 1995 Passat with a regular TD before I bought my TDI. There are TD Golfs and Jettas all over the place here. The Golf was available with the regular TD as late as 1997. But this is Canada!

Brian
'96 Passat TDI

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
If those 1.9 Ecodiesels are anything like the UK ones, then they can be tuned up to nearer 90bhp, simply by grinding the actuator rod in the boost compensator. VW just turned down the fuel in order to get low smoke levels, but it can be turned up again.

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon)
See my Passat / Peugeot page at www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5067/

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The Eco-Diesel was a 1.6 liter 59 hp it was basically a detuned turbo diesel which was 68
hp. The Eco-Diesel had a smaller turbo and a catylitic converter. That is what the ECO was for less polution. And I guess this model was only sold in the US and with little or no success.
The next Diessel that VW sold in the US was the 1996 Passat TDI

nomad

Veteran Member
VWx6: Are you saying you might be able to sell it to me in the future? What would be the price?