radiator fans not working

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Okay, so on my 2002 golf, the passenger side fan doesn't work when the ac and fan is on. I've tried multiple times to get through the mass on info on the original thread but I still don't understand about the fan control module. It can either be that or the actual fan right? Something about the brushes/ armature getting messed up? Why would be my next logical step to diagnose the problem? We just had our first 90+* weather and I didn't like it much. I'm trying the Compressed air thing rigt now.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Edit: just checked... It's actually the drivers side that's broken. It spins really freely if that matters.

Edit #2: thanks to whoever corrected my fail.

Last edited:

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
tap on it gently with a hammer while key is on, a/c switch depressed, blower fan on low. Mine will sometimes kick on (then you know it is just stuck brushes) Otherwise, follow the thread by DanG144:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

likely brushes...if you take it apart (I used a very large screwdriver to remove the "rabbit eared" "clamps" that hold the back of the fan's motor housing on, rather than grinding), and carefully remove, you might see one or more of the brushes stuck

must remove from car first to work on it (hence my quick and easy hammer diagnosis--I'm lazy)

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Rxfire said:
If you have $125 to $150, replace if voltage to the fan is positive, or, if $150 would buy you 20 6-packs of beer, then simply run the diagnostics and possibly repair the fan (or at least know that it was not repairable):

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

Mmmmm...frothy cold goodness...
Hey, if you're doing the work yourself you could always get it from a junkyard :p

Cmon, wheres the frugality!

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Rxfire said:
$150 would buy you 20 6-packs of
Im 18... Lol

so is it usually the fan itself? I can fix it or junkyard it I'm sure, I'm just no good troubleshooting electronic issues.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
DanG144 is the expert on these fan issues, but as he says below, it is usually the brushes hung up, can be repaired. These fans are cheapo built, so most folks say the cheap Chinese knock-offs are as good as dealer part

The issue I would have with a junkyard fan is...how do you know it is a good fan? This is a common problem, so it is likely the fan you buy at the junkyard is bad, as the cars will run OK with bad fans/hung up brushes (and many TDI's on the road have bad fans/brushes)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=277772

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Agh, very true... so the most logical option is either fix the current fan or get a whole new one.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, if one fan runs and the other does not, the fault is not in the FCM. It is in the fan or the wiring to the fan.

Normally the fan.

But there have been a couple of chafed wires, and one bad ground.

Hundreds of bad fans.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
AWESOME UPDATE!!!!

I got all motivated just now so i went out and bashed on it with a small hammer. a few hits later and its working!!

The only thing im concerned with now is that the larger drivers side fan (the one that i just "fixed") turns obviously slower than the small passenger side fan. is that normal?

this also confirms that it is most definitely the brushes, and if worst comes to worst, can be fixed "permanantly" with a new fan. permanently is in "" because the new fan probably want last long either, lol.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Rxfire said:
If you have $125 to $150, ...$150 would buy you 20 6-packs of beer, ...
You'll not care much about the fans by the time you get a substantial portion of that much beer run through your kidneys.

I used a sharp cold chisel to work the tabs on the last fan I repaired. And while you're in there, you can re-grease the bearings the way Dan shows. I think it is worth it, since even the cheap knock offs cost way too much. And I agree that the cheap replacements are every bit as good.

"german engineering." :rolleyes:

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
DanG144 said:
Go ahead and repair or replace the fan.

Dan
so you are saying they should turn at a very similar speed?

do you think it is same to use the A/C as long as both are working and I keep an eye on the broken one? it pumps out air, just not as much air as the small one.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
They should turn at the same speed, as far as the eye can tell. I am sure a strobotach would always show a difference in speed.

I would use the AC as long as both are working. I would use it at highway speeds even if one or both were not working.

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Sounds like a brush is still hung up. Just fixed mine and wired up a new low speed resistor. The resistor and brushes were shot in it. $16 later and running just fine. Beats $150 for a new fan.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Okay, so I took a drive and when I left both fans were spinning dine and when I got there, the drivers side had completely stopped again as though it was never spinning. I guess I'll be disassembling soon. I knew it was too good to be true =P

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
so i finally took it off and the brushes were completely melted inside the plastic housing, i tried to dislodge them, but ended up breaking the plastic brush holders, effectively ruining the fan, a new one is on its way form IDparts.

you can see how the plastic bubbled up it got so hot and deformed, especially on the 3rd picture down.