acc wire for radio

Ryan_M

TDI
Jetta 03,Black on tan
Does anyone know where i can find an acc wire for an aftermarket radio i've looked and can't seem to find it anywhere its an 03 jetta. thanks

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
Two choices, one more difficult than the other.

1) Back of fusebox, find a keyed accessory.
2)Not as much fun.
1)take off the steering column shroud. 3 T25, 4 smaller phillips
2)Locate the ignition harness. Small brown/red stripe. This wire is the keyed accessory that stays on after key is turned off and until key is removed from ignition. This is the one I go after when I do decks in 2003/2004 VW products at my place of work. Maintains the exact same behaviour as the factory radio. Make sure you fuse the lead to the radio with a 7.5A (or whatever your aftermarket stereo draws on the accessory wire) fuse to protect the vehicle. (hey never know... something could pinch, rub, or chafe it)

Gus

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
I did my install the first way. I really wish I had done it the second way. I missed having the ability to use the radio with the engine off.

Ryan_M

TDI
Jetta 03,Black on tan
Thanks for the help i tried looking at the wires in the steering colum but now that i know the colour it makes it much easier.

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta tdi 244k stage 2 Malone Bosch injectors, 98 jetta tdi 240k injectors.
Yep small brown wire with red stripe. And I second fusing it. I blew my keyswitch shorting it out. Took me a week of evenings to find and a few more grey hairs