2010 VW Jetta Sportwagon AC blows warm

Rafer

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Air intake closed? Maybe it isn't at running temperature yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
When you say neither fan turning, you mean the ones under the hood? Does the compressor clutch engage? I'd be looking for a leak from a rock strike in the condenser in front of the radiator.
The fan should come on with ac on even if the engine isn't up to temp. But if the low pressure switch doesn't detect enough pressure in the system, it will never kick on.

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
AC issue

So a couple more points:
With engine running, and AC off, pully on compressor turns and inside of pully also spins. Also, pressed shraider valve with pocket knife. Got Hiss, and some flourescent oil on blade. With AC on, middle of pulley also spins....

Thanks
Cliff

Shoveltrev

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle deceased, 2003 jetta . 2002 jetta , 2012 sportwagon
so there is no clutch on these cars . the compressor spins all the time . the system uses a refrigerant control valve on the compressor. you either have a defective RCV or a stuck exspansion valve or the charge is too low. int needs to be hooked to a reclaimer and verify the refrigerant charge first. then diagnose from there

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
so there is no clutch on these cars . the compressor spins all the time . the system uses a refrigerant control valve on the compressor. you either have a defective RCV or a stuck exspansion valve or the charge is too low. int needs to be hooked to a reclaimer and verify the refrigerant charge first. then diagnose from there
Yes, and the RCV is very common failure point. Mine was not working when I bought the car. I didn't know it until the weather warmed up. The 1st dealer (Modesto VW) claimed in was out of Freon, charged it and sent it out the door and tried to charge me claiming no CPO coverage. That day it happened to be cold so I couldn't really know. NO bueno. I went to a real dealership (Tracy VW), they did the repair right. 0 deductible!

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
So went to a buddies house and measured the freon level. Was at 9 psi and 110 psi. When engine running, and AC on, went to 20 and 100. Added a can of 134a. Now at 33 and 190 and blowing cold air. Look for a leak?

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
If the pressure is too low the system will not kick on, so when you added refrigerant and got the low side high enough it allowed the system to run and tell the fans to run.

Looking for a leak isn't a bad idea. Or you could run it for a while and see if it replicates, then you know there is a leak.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Also fans are spinning!
That's interesting. Gotta wonder, with Freon low, what the logic is when the ECU lets the A/C run and turning off the fans.

You might consider a little dye?