GTI to TDI steering wheel swap

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
ADFTDI - I'm only seeing ECS GTD wheels that are listed "for models w/o paddle shifters". Do you have a link to a MKVI wheel with or ready for paddle shifters - thanks :)

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I was really hoping it was easy as repurposing my airbag into any number of MKVI paddle wheels from a GTI, GTD, R, GLI, etc.

Also... wow.. $$$$. The GTD wheel on ECS is $670, no paddles, no airbag :eek:

It's hard to consider this mod when I could do springs and rear sway bar for the same $$$ :rolleyes:.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Really?! Well I guess I'll give Aaron a call then :D

Was it plug-n-play? Use your original airbag? Vcds coding pretty easy?

Also, where did you get that interior?! Looks amazing! :thumbup:

Thanks for the help!

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Really?! Well I guess I'll give Aaron a call then :D

Was it plug-n-play? Use your original airbag? Vcds coding pretty easy?

Also, where did you get that interior?! Looks amazing! :thumbup:

Thanks for the help!

I needed a harness and an airbag in order to make the switch. I was able to source an OEM airbag from a place in Houston for $160. The wheel cost me $475. and the harness was $35. The whole thing was $670 with shipping.

I sold my old steering wheel for $350. Made out pretty good

Thanks for the compliment. Interior is Katzkin.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I needed a harness and an airbag in order to make the switch. I was able to source an OEM airbag from a place in Houston for $160. The wheel cost me $475. and the harness was $35. The whole thing was $670 with shipping.

I sold my old steering wheel for $350. Made out pretty good

Thanks for the compliment. Interior is Katzkin.
Thanks for that breakdown :thumbup:. Now I know its possible, albeit a little expensive and complicated. I like knowing you sold your old wheel to cover half the cost. I did the same when I upgraded to my ANS-810.

So the seats, arm rest, door cards, etc.,were just recovered in katzkin? Looks so good. How much for that? You got a build thread? Now I'm curious what else you've done ;)

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
How much do you shift your car with the paddles? Is it super awesome and you're driving 'M' + paddles all the time or only in select situations?

I'm probably 'D' most of the time, except to pass or slow down in which case I'll go 'M'. Almost never 'S'. The shift points are too high for where the sweet spot is on these :rolleyes:

Just pinging to see if the upgrade cost is really worth it in terms of fun factor. I bet it's fun off a green light :D

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
i actually use the paddle shifts often.

You don't have to go in to manual on the shifter, just down shift at the paddles while in D.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow.. thanks for posting ! $250 and looks like an easy DIY.

I can't find a wheel on overlandparts.com that is designated for my 2011 JSW. All I have is my Android on this trip and maybe the site/catalogue is easier to navigate with a pc. If someone sees the part number or link, please post it. I will call them :beer:.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Any MK6 based wheel will fit your 2011, you just need the correct GLI airbag with your GLI wheel. No designation needed.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I don't see what looks like mk6 + multimedia & tiptronic shifters :confused:

EriksTDI

TDI
2012 JSW Nav Black on Black
Just got an email from the OP of the paddle shifter mod. The model number you want from overlandparts is 5C0 419 091 C USZ. It's a bit confusing as it does not say it has paddle shifters in item description. This is the same wheel that comes stock with 2010 plus Jsw but with paddle shifters.

EriksTDI

TDI
2012 JSW Nav Black on Black
Ok just placed an order ask for Cory super nice guy. One weird quark First time I called they said I had to be a dealer. They told me to find a retailer near me they cant sell direct. So i looked no store near me. Called back and got Cory no problem with the transaction.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Dude, Erik - you are the man! This is great info.

Also, +1 on the F1 w/ family in the back :D. We are expecting our first (a boy!) in Oct. I like the idea of a sleeper, family car that gets 40mpg but still a blast to drive :beer: