Need advice re broken serpentine belt 300 miles post timing belt change

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
I have found that one has to be a mechanic to own one of these oil burners or have a big wallet. It has to be the alt pulley, a/c compressor pulley, tensioner pulley, or harmonic balancer.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Remember, it's miles/year.

It's written all over the place that these cars have a higher maintenance cost...that becomes more true if you do things like get a tune or new nozzles. The last number I heard was that you had to drive 10k miles a year to break even, and it's probably done up since then since the relative cost of diesel has gone up.

Personally, I drive 60 miles a day 5 days a week, so I'm reasonable certain I end up saving money despite the maintenance costs :)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Remember, it's miles/year....
Yeah, I know that....... I drive about 36,000+ miles per year and 75% of that is reimbursed by my clients @ $0.585/mile. I just need another $5K or so to be "even" from a purchase price and cash spent on it to date. The Passat is my primary work vehicle as it sees a lot of oilfield and other similar client trips.;) I wish it was a diesel truck though..:rolleyes:

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I wish I could have gotten a passat. They were damn near impossible to find back when I was shopping.

I'm hoping that Toyota comes out with a diesel before I'm due for another car.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
Sorry to hear about your problem. 400 miles failure isn't appectable at all and getting the work at a professional shop. I hope everything works out for you.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Glad your not one of my clients....You rail on the guy left and right because a KNOWN COMMON FAILURE PART FAILED!

What did they do that was so crappy as you have repeated over and over? And closed? Well they are people too and are ENTITLED to close and do other things even to your dismay.

Suck it up and grow a pair. Sheesh....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input; I tried contacting him, but they were closed.
He did replace the serpentine belt, well, he was supposed to at least...
The belt was shredded, so I guess that sounds like the alt pully, but I was under the impression that this part was meant to last upwards of 200k miles...
Outside of getting absolute **** service with this guy during the timing belt change, I'm worried some sort of incompetence is at play in this scenario hence, my need for advice. If someone can say one way or the other that alt pulley's go at the drop of a dime irregardless of miles, than I'll do the work in getting a new one in...but if it sounds too coincidental then I may need to call a lawyer.

The other hiccup is he's the only guru in a 150 mile radius from me...I'm pretty confident he's not going to pay a tow truck and I'm sure as hell, not going to spend another day driving it there...

jasonTDI

TDI
Even if the pulley freezes up it should not shred the belt. If it slips it should not shred the belt. If it comes apart it could shred the belt. Something was not done correctly or he should have seen the problem when he had the car apart. 400 miles, there was a problem when it left his shop. Hope this helps. Thanks Steve
Wrong. You do realize the tension that belt is under is quite a lot. It'll drag for a while put will quickly overheat and come apart.

jasonTDI

TDI
OK, I understand after reading down a bit further your frustrations. But they alt belt isn't included in this. Just a shop not doing what they said they would.

stevekris

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle 99 silver
Jason, The only way the belt would shred is if the alternator pulley stopped turning. The bearings in the alternator would have to freeze, stop the shaft and the pulley stop turning. If the pulley bearing froze the pulley would still turn just like a solid pulley. Something had to be wrong for it to last only 400 miles. When I replace a serpentine belt, I check everything it touches for slop or bad bearings. Thanks Steve

rgshredder

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
So, after dislodging the belt from the alternator, it seems that the pulley is functioning as it should.

I've not gotten my emails or calls returned from the mechanic, it turns out they closed the shop since Friday and just opened today...tried all day today but never got through to anyone.

I'll post another update tomorrow after speaking with them (hopefully).

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Okay, so the shop I went to was Good Guys Biodiesel in Santa Cruz. I checked this board (even made a thread asking peoples' opinion about these guys) and the few replies I got were generally pretty positive;
never heard of them. their site has some b.s. on it. the "trusted mechanics list" fails again.:rolleyes:

hopefully people will understand that someone making that list does not qualify as a guru.

MOGolf
Oilhammer
Drivbiwire
^^ these are true gurus. there are others- the elite of tdiclub who can perform excellent work on the most difficult tdi-specific tasks ALONG with stellar customer service.

good luck getting things straightened out. hopefully this shop will step up and take care of things for you.