GTI to TDI steering wheel swap

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I know right? You should drive the car (The Owner will let most anyone take it for a spin at meets and such)... We nicknamed it Stage Plaid; MKV R32 Custom Turbo setup making 654AWHP/~575(iirc)AWTq.

Its insane... :D

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
Where are they based? I can't believe that car is running on stock internals DSG. It makes me feel better about mine on measley Stage 2 ;).

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Back on topic for a second..

I got my wheel today. Took 1.5 days to get here. Installation & coding was a breeze.

Took it on a hard, back roads drive and I forgot I was rocking a wagen! Having shifting functionality on the wheel really has me shifting more because it's easy and the car acts more like a traditional manual. I'm so happy with it. I know stage 2 & the exhaust was a big deal but I gotta say that the RSB & the paddles are really what make the car fun to flog on good roads so far :D.

$225 too! I'll report back on final cost after I sell my old wheel on feebay.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
is this the stock wheel for 225 or gti/gli/r ?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Do you find stock paddles adequate and easy to hit?
I'll let evolDiesel answer as he has one he just drove; but for me personally I found the stock paddles perfectly usable if you just wanted an occasional downshift or something; but for dedicated M mode driving they are too short to reach from anywhere but 9-3 on the steering wheel.

I found the addition of the better paddles to make a huge difference in how fun it was to drive in M mode, and did it all the time from then on. ;)
is this the stock wheel for 225 or gti/gli/r ?
Stock wheel with paddles.

Last edited:

EriksTDI

TDI
2012 JSW Nav Black on Black
Nice to hear evodiesil . I agree when I added the paddles it really made the JSW come alive. I highly recommend this mod as the fun to cost and ease of install make it a must for all JSW owners.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
So just to recap... I only drove it once so far [back on the motorcycle today]. I took it on a twisty back road that probably takes about 10 minutes to fly through and there was only one time where I had my hands somwhere other than the shifting position: 3-9. I think over time I will wish the paddles were taller so I could have my mitts on the bolsters instead and still pull the trigger; but I assume too tall would get in the way on turn-intensive low speed driving like parking lots/garages? Question for the guys with fancy paddles - do they glow red like the OEM ones do? I gotta say the MKVI interior looks better and better with everything lit up red and I really didn't expect the paddles to have backlighting. It's a pleasant bonus I guess as far as aesthetics go.

For anyone stumbling on this thread later:

1. Call Overland Parts +1-408-848-4205
2. Ask for Cory
3. Ask for Steering wheel with PN 5C0 419 091 C USZ
4. Price is $227
5. Good DIY thread to read here and here but the swap is REALLY easy. Feel free to ask if you need help.

-Jack

bateau

TDI
2013 JSW TDI DSG/Pano
Is the part sold by Overland a genuine VW part or replica? Pricing seems waaaay lower than any of the VW parts sites sponsoring this forum.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure how to tell - looks, feels, installs, and operates as legit as I can imagine.

dextersl

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
hey erikstdi/evoldiesel, do they offer the DTM style of this steering with the flat bottom with and without paddles?

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Seemed like Erik had a better handle on that company. Although I'm sure if you called them up and asked for Cory you'd get a solid black/white answer. Good luck!

Also - still going strong with a few thousand miles. It's a good upgrade for $227 and I sold my old wheel on flea-bay for $80 bones ;)

EriksTDI

TDI
2012 JSW Nav Black on Black
I don't think they have any flat bottom wheels. But best bet is to call.
Evo you got 80 bucks for your old wheel not bad. Will have to put mine on eBay.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah buddy! Better than taking up space in the garage. Once I knew this one was legit, I sold my original.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Rhino-Rack SXB crossbars with passenger side bike mount. Still deciding what SUP mounting to go with besides foam padding and straps.

Last edited:

shwagon

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
So just to recap... I only drove it once so far [back on the motorcycle today]. I took it on a twisty back road that probably takes about 10 minutes to fly through and there was only one time where I had my hands somwhere other than the shifting position: 3-9. I think over time I will wish the paddles were taller so I could have my mitts on the bolsters instead and still pull the trigger; but I assume too tall would get in the way on turn-intensive low speed driving like parking lots/garages? Question for the guys with fancy paddles - do they glow red like the OEM ones do? I gotta say the MKVI interior looks better and better with everything lit up red and I really didn't expect the paddles to have backlighting. It's a pleasant bonus I guess as far as aesthetics go.

For anyone stumbling on this thread later:

1. Call Overland Parts +1-408-848-4205
2. Ask for Cory
3. Ask for Steering wheel with PN 5C0 419 091 C USZ
4. Price is $227
5. Good DIY thread to read here and here but the swap is REALLY easy. Feel free to ask if you need help.

-Jack
Sorry to bump an old thread (search function brought me here), anyone know if this part number is ok for a 2010 mk6 JSW. Looks like all the guys that installed it are 2011 owners.

Also, I've seen some references to a SW control module swap to make the conversion work, can anyone confirm this or do I just need the wheel and coding?

Thanks

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know why it wouldn't work. 2010/2011 JSW = same thing. Just need wheel and coding.

assaultwagen

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
Ok, I know you can swap a gli or gti steering wheel if you have the wheel and airbag. But what about the golf triptronic wheels that use the same air bag as the JSW? I just picked up a used wheel off a 2014 golf tdi with multifunction switches, that match mine, and shifters. Will the airbag and wiring match up? Or will I need anything else to make it work? Thank you!

bradtourt

TDI
MK6 TDI (GTD) Conversion
Bump. I have a 2012 Golf TDI with the paddles and fancy buttons. I bought a 2013 GTI wheel and airbag from some car and did a swap. Nothing works. No lights, no horn, no volume, nothing. Some people have said if you take the wheel and install it on a car that has a different radio, it will not recognize it. I have a rns-315 with dynaudio and only a few gtis have that, so that might be the case. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I haven't been able to get into it with vagcom yet.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Did you get the proper wiring harness as well? I did essentially the same swap (Golf R wheel) and no vag com was even required.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Bump. I have a 2012 Golf TDI with the paddles and fancy buttons. I bought a 2013 GTI wheel and airbag from some car and did a swap. Nothing works. No lights, no horn, no volume, nothing. Some people have said if you take the wheel and install it on a car that has a different radio, it will not recognize it. I have a rns-315 with dynaudio and only a few gtis have that, so that might be the case. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I haven't been able to get into it with vagcom yet.
I have essentially the same car only with manual transmission. I got a Scirocco steering wheel installed last year. The only thing that I needed was a airbag which is installed to the clock spring with the yellow connector.

Make sure that the connector to the wheel is also installed. This connector should also be part of the airbag wiring harness. If you don't have this connector you may have the wrong airbag for your steering wheel.

The horn not working could be a problem with the connection between the airbag and clock spring.

Jbmk6

TDI
Mk6 CJAA
Does anyone have a part number on the harness needed? I’d like to buy a new harness.
I have an ‘11 golf that I just picked up a GTI wheel and airbag for $280.

Do I need VCDS to code it? My car has the MFSW from factory, Along w/paddles