2009 TDI towing

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Pelican18TQA4 said:
The Bosal hitch is illegal because it is not DOT-approved. However, owners have installed European headlights and taillights without thinking twice and neither of these items are DOT-approved.
The difference comes if the hitch fails. Lets say your trailer comes off causes and accident and gets someone killed.

Your insurance company will not think twice about leave you stranded with the bill because that hitch is not DOT approved. It would be their way out.

Yes this is an extreme example.

fcatwo

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
TwoTone said:
The difference comes if the hitch fails. Lets say your trailer comes off causes and accident and gets someone killed.

Your insurance company will not think twice about leave you stranded with the bill because that hitch is not DOT approved. It would be their way out.

On the illegal hitch: It's also possible that it would turn an accident investigation into a criminal investigation.

On Hidden Hitch: My observation is that "Hidden Hitch" is a brand name and not necessarily a description of it's products. The only hidden hitches I've seen are those incorporated into the bumper during manufacturing. I think Ford has built some vehicles like that and possibly others.

Frank

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
This is weird. I built my own utility trailer, and got a license for it. Can I not build my own hitch?

Don't people make "custom" hitches all the time?

Maybe someone should call their insurance company and see what they say?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The difference is building vs buying. The retailer cannot sell it for street use. You may get sued as well if you build it and something bad happens.

duffus

TDI
06 Jetta
my 09 owner's manual says <1000lb--. The break-in part says no towing in the first 600 miles. Otherwise, it doesn't say you can't tow.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
MBoni said:
However, the Bosal doesn't support a receiver (yet?), and I need one of those for my bike rack.
If you are willing to trade in your bike rack for a new one, there is a model that mounts up to the Bosal's vertical receiver. It's pictured in the German brochure for the '09. I think it would hold 2 bikes (with a +1 option) and holds the bikes at the bottom rather than from the crossbar. IIRC it even had lights built into the frame.

-darren

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
MBoni said:
I'm planning on getting a hitch, but am not sure which one to get. It looks like two basic choices for my Sportwagen:

The Curt hitch is part #11084
Draw-Tite has model #24752

Installation instructions for each:
Curt: http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=11084
Draw-tite:http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/pdf/N24752.pdf

So, which one do I want?
I would get the Draw-Tite hitch receiver.

That one wasn't available when I bought my receiver so I got the Curt model and I don't really trust it. The passenger side is bolted up nice and tight but the driver's side sandwiches in between the body and exhaust hangers. This looks very weak and when I pull down on the receiver I can see a small amount of flex. :(

Personally, I'm going to order the Bosal if the shipping's not a killer, so if you decide to go with the Curt anyway, look me up -- I'll have one hanging in the garage. :)

-darren

ttoplesstts

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I just ordered the Draw-Tite hitch from drawtite-hitches.com. You can use discount code THANKYOU for a 10% discount on one of the lowest prices I could find on this hitch already.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
DPM said:
for a towball mount cycle carrier, try the Thule 970.
Fascinating! How does it mount and would it work with a swan neck style where the receiver is completely up under the bumper?

I found the photo of the VW bike carrier:

Pretty slick but there's no clear indication of what the mount looks like for this either.

-darren

Last edited:

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
Westfalia Portilo

I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo4hLUidPnE

of a new, ultra compact Westfalia bike rack for Eurpoean hitches. It's called the Westfalia Portilo. After watching the video three times, I *still* can't figure out how they keep it upright mounted just on the ball bar.

This is VERY slick, but awfully expensive, even with current Euro/Dollar conversion rates (over $500 before shipping). Worse yet, the Westfalia hitch receiver, which appears to be the cleanest and easiest of the European towbars to use, requires that the lower bumper be cut or changed ot with a replacement lower bumper from VW (Europe only) with a knock-out to accommodate the hitch post.

I might have to suck it up and stick with the US receiver, even though it looks weak and scrapes the ground at the drop of a hat.:rolleyes:

-darren

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Angle in to inclines to reduce dragging. Someone mentioned on one of the threads that the bumper cover was marked inside on where to cut for this.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
Angle in to inclines to reduce dragging.
I do, but even so it seems impossible to get out of my driveway forward (if I back in to park) without scraping either the hitch or exhaust. If I travel any faster than a turtle I thin it's possible to beach it. :)

The wagon (and perhaps the sedan as well) extends a good long way behind the rear axle. That, along with some odd curbing in my cul-de-sac that serves as both a ramp and gutter, conspire against me backing out of my driveway.

Lightflyer1 said:
Someone mentioned on one of the threads that the bumper cover was marked inside on where to cut for this.
I'll look for that - thanks. I love the wordless international instruction from Westfalia on how to handle this:

:D

-darren

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahhhh.. now I get it. That's pretty clever. I guess that means that the shank coming out of the bottom of the trailer ball is a common diameter across all manufacturers. It must also be flattened or keyed somewhere along its circumference to keep the rack from rotating.

Cool!

-darren

karltinsly

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI SportWagen manual
I just received the Curt hitch for my 2009 JSW. After looking at the instructions, I'm not sure if I can do this. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to be cutting into (some panel). Anyone know how much it should cost to have it installed, and what sort of place should I take it to? Any advice appreciated.

Gr8pumpkin

TDI
Which hitch do you have? There are two models 11084 and 11072. I will provide you some pictures. It is not that difficult. Both models require a slight trimming.

karltinsly

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI SportWagen manual
Mine's the 11084. What kind of material is it that needs trimming? Thanks for the help!

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
What needs trimming is the plastic shield on the Passenger side. Unfortunately my measurements were wayyyyyy off and it required more than one trimming but I don't lay under the car looking at it very much then either!

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't feel bad -- the diagram from Curt is off. I notified them of this but never received a reply. I started with a 1/4" slot in that plastic cover and wound up with a 2" slot!

-darren

TDI
2009 JSW Silver TDI 6 Spd
Has anyone actually mounted this hitch http://www.etrailer.com/p-24752.htm on a JSW? Most of the sites list the Curt hitch for JSW and sedan, but the other options for the sedan don't show up on the JSW list. Just wondering if the mounting is really the same or different. I like this hitch (draw-tite) much more than the Curt.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
I just traded my Curt hitch out for a Westfalia euro-style "towbar" (basically a receiver hitch but a very different design). It's a fantastic hitch. It's more expensive, partly because of shipping costs, and you can't use typical bike racks designed for receiver hitches, but it is rock solid. Once I get some photos of the finished hitch, I'll start a new thread with the photos.

If anyone wants to buy a used Curt hitch (particularly if you live in central North Carolina to avoid shipping charges) let me know. :D

-darren

robenne

TDI
'09 Sportwagon TDI - Manual Trannie
I've got the Curt hitch and I am not happy with it! The thing flexes like nobodies business with two bikes and a bike carrier on it. After having the hitch installed for a couple months I called Curt to complain about it because it looked like it was going to snap. Apparently, they were aware of the problem and sent me another and within a couple days I had the other one installed by the book using a torque wrench! However, this one is no better!! It truly is not a good hitch or my 09 TDI Wagon is made of aluminum cans. I am carrying the Thule T2 917 which is designed for class I hitches, two bikes, and a max weight of 100lbs. I carry light bikes (i.e. 18lb road bike or 22 lb MTB). I also carry the same setup with my 2005 xB Scion which has a DrawTite and the bike and rack don't move! Buuuuut on my VW, the Curt looks like the hitch is about to snap.

Anyone else have this problem? I am going to call Curt again today and let them know their new hitch sucks too and then I will call Drawtite and see what they have!

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
robenne said:
I've got the Curt hitch and I am not happy with it! The thing flexes like nobodies business with two bikes and a bike carrier on it. After having the hitch installed for a couple months I called Curt to complain about it because it looked like it was going to snap. Apparently, they were aware of the problem and sent me another and within a couple days I had the other one installed by the book using a torque wrench! However, this one is no better!! It truly is not a good hitch or my 09 TDI Wagon is made of aluminum cans. I am carrying the Thule T2 917 which is designed for class I hitches, two bikes, and a max weight of 100lbs. I carry light bikes (i.e. 18lb road bike or 22 lb MTB). I also carry the same setup with my 2005 xB Scion which has a DrawTite and the bike and rack don't move! Buuuuut on my VW, the Curt looks like the hitch is about to snap.

Anyone else have this problem? I am going to call Curt again today and let them know their new hitch sucks too and then I will call Drawtite and see what they have!
This was my concern as well. I installed the Curt receiver and while the car was still on jack stands I tugged down on the receiver and saw the gap between the receiver tube and the car get bigger and smaller as I pulled and pushed on it! I alerted Curt by e-mail about that and the fact that the cutting guide for the plastic trim was wrong but I never received a reply.

Exploring all possibilities, is it possible that the bike carrier is moving around where it inserts into the receiver? There is a fair deal of play between the receiver and the hitch that they provide and if your bike rack doesn't use a bolt-style pin to draw it tight against the receiver, you will get some jumping (and a lot of banging noises I would expect).

-darren

robenne

TDI
No you can see the hitch flexing!! Initially, I went back to the place where I had it installed and had them look everything over (just in case) and they said too, it was the way the hitch is. I drove with it like that for about 2 months and it seemed to be getting worse. I called Curt direct and they knew there was a problem with the first hitches built and sent me another one. Before going through the hassle of removing and reinstalling the new one I called to make sure they fixed the flex issues and I was assured this hitch was better! I say BS! It's just as weak as the first one. Like I said I put the same setup (bikes & rack) on my xB that has a draw-tite and there is no flex, play, etc.. nothing! Everything is rock solid minus the little bit of play you get between the hitch and rack, but this is normal. I called another hitch dealer today and he agreed that Curt hitches were cheaply made (cheap steel). I will be getting a Draw-tite put on my Wagon this Thursday! I'm carrying very, very high end bikes, so the last thing I want, is to loose them because of a cheap hitch.

I have 2 Curt hitches if someone wants them! :)

Last edited:
TDI
2009 JSW Silver TDI 6 Spd
I just ordered the draw-tite hitch, I'm gonna put it on my JSW and see how well it works. The flexing and stability are really important to me as well, I have a couple of high end road bikes, and my wife especially isn't going to have a sense of humor about anything happening to her bike. For everyone with the Curt hitch, real sorry that the hitches suck, but thanks for helping me not make the same mistake. Good luck selling the ones you have robenne.

robenne

TDI
Flying_Squirrel said:
I just ordered the draw-tite hitch, I'm gonna put it on my JSW and see how well it works. The flexing and stability are really important to me as well, I have a couple of high end road bikes, and my wife especially isn't going to have a sense of humor about anything happening to her bike. For everyone with the Curt hitch, real sorry that the hitches suck, but thanks for helping me not make the same mistake. Good luck selling the ones you have robenne.
Right on! Yeah I would absolutely flip out if anything happened to our bikes! It's funny because every time I put my bikes on the rack, someone would say, "Is that normal for it to flex so much?" and "That doesn't look right!"

Glad I could help out and hopefully the Draw-Tite is more solid. I've looked at the Draw_tite installation instructions and it already looks like a more solid platform just from the way it mounts to the car. Good luck to you and no worries about my Curt hitches. I only paid for one and tomorrow, if I have time, I'm going to call Curt and see if they'll refund me my $$.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
robenne, I would agree with you except for one point. I don't think the receiver hardware is responsible for the flex. I think it's the use of the exhaust hanger mounts to bolt up the driver's side of the receiver. The other side bolts to the frame rail and is super solid. Likewise, the structure of the receiver looks very solid, but I don't think the exhaust hanger mounts have enough support behind them.

I could be wrong -- those bolts may pass into the frame, but given the flex I doubt it.

-darren