New custom boost gauge

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Comfortline 6MT
I know some are probably tired of seeing yet another boost gauge thread,but I want to share my ideas and see what kind of interest there is. I'm an electrical engineering student working on designing a gauge for my MKIV tdi on my spare time. My protoype is complete, but still have to design the final PCB which will fit behind the cluster. Here's my criteria:

- Integrated OEM look (matches cluster colors & no pods/housing required).
- Easily viewable (inside cluster)
- Easy to install (includes removing/dissasembling cluster, maybe some basic soldering)

I'm using a small (1.4" x 1.4") but very crisp color OLED display. These are different from LCD panels in that they are viewable in direct sunlight and have a near 180 degree viewing angle. The screen has a very fast >60Hz frame rate, so the graphic needle moves very smoothly.

My current design is for 0-25 psi. All the hard work for the graphics programming is done, so making units with a different scale or different units is easy. I'm starting with 0-25 psi so I can tap into the existing 2.5bar MAP sensor in my car. The microcontroller scales the PSI relative to ambient pressure, but also shows where 1 atmosphere pressure is on the scale depending on your altitude.

I'm still a couple weeks away from sending away my design to be manufactured. I'm looking for a couple people willing to help me test in other cars not like mine (2005 Golf) with different cluster variants. If you're interested PM me and we'll set something up where I'll send you a unit at my cost.

My design prototype:

Photoshop cut & paste for how gauge will look in the cluster:

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Really nice looking. One thing though. There isn't really any different cluster variations. Except those with mfa / euro clusters and your gauge wouldn't be compatible with those anyway. I'd definately be interested in something like this. Keep us posted !

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
weasel said:
Really nice looking. One thing though. There isn't really any different cluster variations. Except those with mfa / euro clusters and your gauge wouldn't be compatible with those anyway. I'd definately be interested in something like this. Keep us posted !
I didn't think the MFA clusters were very common in NA, and I wasn't sure about the MKV clusters. Clusters with a the thin LCD at the bottom would not be compatible, as this is where the PCB is going to sit behind the OLED screen as highlighted in this pic:

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
je said:
Nice. Will you have an external hookup for a remote pressure transducer?
Yes. There will be a 5V regulated output to power an external pressure sensor. Those wanting to use a 3+ bar MAP sensor would use this. Otherwise the 5V line is not needed, only the input from the stock 2.5 bar MAP sensor.

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to those who signed up for testing.
I've decided to display EGT numerically on the bottom instead of max boost. It's a few more things to design, but wont push completion back too far. Max boost will still be displayed with a marker on the dial.

Some design considerations:

I can program the max boost to have a certain time memory, say 30 seconds or so, or I can configure it to be manually reset. The manual reset would make use of the trip odometer button, by a "quick press". The issue with that is if the button is held too long accidently, the trip odometer gets reset. Comments?

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
That looks really nice. I would definately want to try it if i didnt just install my stewart warner gauge. I tried looking for a gauge like that which would mesh into the cluster, but had no luck. I think the trip odometer idea would work as long as you could make the button respond sensitively enough, similiar to pressing a button on the stereo etc... I dont know if its possible but if you could extend the time needed to reset the trip, that would be even better.

Last edited:

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Doniol,

I think it's a great design. Is it possible to max the PSI @ 30 instead of 25.

The manual reset of peak boost is a great idea, could it even maybe do both EGT and max psi and a short long push for reset and a short push to toggle between the readings. I wouldn't be too worried about reseting the odometer. once a person gets a feel for it they should have an issue with resetting the ODO. Max PSI could even be reset by the turning the car off as well, with the option of hitting a reset button.

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
Deevo_3000 said:
I think the trip odometer idea would work as long as you could make the button respond sensitively enough, similiar to pressing a button on the stereo etc... I dont know if its possible but if you could extend the time needed to reset the trip, that would be even better.
I don't have any control over what the cluster computer sees as a "long press" to reset the trip odometer. I can only tie in to the signal and have the display microcontroller perform whatever function based a button press of any desired length. I don't really want to program anything for a long press, as I-- like many other TDI owners, like to know where I stand with my current tank of fuel.

Is it possible to max the PSI @ 30 instead of 25.
Indeed! The microcontroller has enough on-board memory for 2+ different displays. There will be a way to select 30psi, but will only read accurately if you're using a 3bar MAP sensor as the conversion formula is different.

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black
Ha another calgary fellow making his own boost gauge. Makes me wish I hadn't procrastinated so much on my design. Let me know if you need any help with the design as I have a background in electronics and manufacturing.

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the offer. While my profile says I'm in Calgary, that's only really true while I'm out of school for the summer. I'm in Fairbanks the rest of the time. I have been using Advanced Circuits in Colorado for manufacturing PCBs for my class projects. It costs about $50 including shipping for a one-off board (student special). Do you know of any fabs cheaper than this?

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black
Other then sending it over seas to china? nope. The last protos I had done for work at Alberta printed circuit ran about $100 for 3 small boards (1.2x2.75"). If you are not in a hurry I heard the service sparkfun has is pretty cheap.

CarlUman

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Touareg
Looks nice. I need something for my 2000 NB. Are there others on the market that are even close to this (matches our interior lights)?

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
weasel said:
How 'bout us NB TDI folks - now there's a different cluster
config! My eye teeth for a boost and an egt that fit like
mouse ears on the main cluster.

There was a post a few months ago of a guy that did one. Posted
and sent PM saying build me two and I will buy them.

Too bad we don't have a Beetle Cup dual cluster arrangement for
NB TDI's.

Sorry. Not trying to hog post.

It's a nice gauge setup...well done!

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Keep forgetting about the NB's. Ya, that's a bit different. Then again, so are the folks driving them :p

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's the update:

I received the PCBs this week and I have one board all soldered up with components. I'm HOPING to have it installed this weekend and properly sampling the MAP sensor. I changed a few things from my original prototype board to make the display update a bit smoother, so I have some programming tweeking to do yet to reflect the changes. I apologize for the slow developments. Graduate studies + job + wife does not allow a lot of extra time, but I'm working on the project whenever I can. I'll post some photos of the hardware this weekend.

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta silver arrow GLS TDI
that looks nice. will it be dimmable with the rest of the cluster?

I cant stand my current gauge... sign me up.

thomas

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
A couple of photos:

Here's how the PCB fits underneath the gauge face:

Tight fit! I had to bend the corner posts outward a bit.

The OLED screen wraps around and lies flat against the gauge face:

Things are coming together pretty well. I still have a few programming items to take care of such as dimmer control.

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
nice.. cant wait till you are done.

any idea how much it will cost? any pics of the cluster in the day installed in the car? is the display easily viewable?

thomas

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
tmophoto said:
nice.. cant wait till you are done.

any idea how much it will cost? any pics of the cluster in the day installed in the car? is the display easily viewable?

thomas
It will be in the $200 range, a bit more for EGT capability.

The OLED display has 180 degree viewability- much better than LCD screens. No contrast is lost by looking at the screen directly from the side. Each pixel is an RGB LED combo, meaning there's no backlight/polarizer. I will post pictures soon with the working gauge in the cluster.

Realistically, these won't be ready until Christmas time when I'm on break from studies. I just won't have time to solder the boards. Those who already signed up for testing can expect to have them within a month. I'll be using their feedback for the final design, and incorporating suggestions by others too if there's a consensus.

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
great thanks...

better to wait for a product like this than spend money on crap like i did..

if you need any more testers let me know.. I would love to get rid of my current gauge and this one is BY FAR the best option i have seen.

I would be interested in the one with the egt functionality.

thanks and great work..

thomas

Doniol said:
It will be in the $200 range, a bit more for EGT capability.

The OLED display has 180 degree viewability- much better than LCD screens. No contrast is lost by looking at the screen directly from the side. Each pixel is an RGB LED combo, meaning there's no backlight/polarizer. I will post pictures soon with the working gauge in the cluster.

Realistically, these won't be ready until Christmas time when I'm on break from studies. I just won't have time to solder the boards. Those who already signed up for testing can expect to have them within a month. I'll be using their feedback for the final design, and incorporating suggestions by others too if there's a consensus.

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black
Nice idea! My original idea was to put the display on the outside of the cluster but in view of about the same spot so then it wouldn't cover up and of the diagnostic LED's etc but it looks like that will work well. I also have a MFA stalk that I plan to use for the controlls to display voltage etc but I haven't got around to taking it apart yet, if you are interested in the info on it let me know.
And of course if you need any testers drop me a line as I should have all the programmers etc for code upgrades.

vwtdi09

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2002 Midnight Blue SOLD. VW Passat 2005 green, VW Golf 2010 TDi
Will he provide install or will it be a swap with our core? Lars.

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
vwtdi09 said:
Will he provide install or will it be a swap with our core? Lars.
At this point, I wont be providing any installations. The install is pretty simple though. All you need is a couple torx screw drivers and some pliers to crimp the splice connectors. The cluster can be removed and opened in a matter of 20 minutes to install the PCB. Most of the installation time will probably by running a wire to the MAP sensor through the firewall. Note, there is a sticker seal on the cluster, so once you take off the sticker to open the cover, it will be detectable for warranty reasons (unless you use hot air to carefully remove the sticker).

Doniol

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I have the gauge installed and it works :D, for the most part. I have the equivalent of mechanical buzz happening. The needle flutters a lot, so that needs some filtering. The color is a bit off too, so that needs some work. The yellow marker shows the max boost, and the green dot shows sea level pressure, or 14.7psi absolute. People at higher elevations would have ambient pressure (0 on gauge) a couple psi lower than 1 standard atm. Whatever the green marker shows, that's how much extra range you get past the 22psi saturation from the stock MAP sensor.

Here's a pic-- I'll post one tomorrow for daylight conditions.