Friggin' Dealer - Won't take my money!

ChadMad

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Black, 69000 miles
Friggin\' Dealer - Won\'t take my money!

I complained of a lag/power loss problem at this thread:
HERE

I had schedule the car to go in to have this problem fixed today. Then on this last Saturday the serpentine belt on the alternator snapped on me and I had to have the car towed to the dealership. I carefully explained to the service guy that I needed BOTH problems fixed. This is at New Century VW in Glendale, CA

He called today to tell me "car was done". I asked him what the problem had been with the power loss and he said, "oh well we replaced the serpentine belt, so that should be it". I said what could the serpentine belt being worn possibly have to do with me losing power four to five times a day as I described ? He stumbled for words, and said he didn't know, but that basically when the tech drove the car around the block a few times the lag issue didn't occur so they weren't going to try and fix it, no matter what I had told them!

Now I know that intermittent problems are a *****. But I had acutally requested that the check the MAF as the problem, so I said well did you at least check the MAF. "Well, no... you see its not that we don't believe you that this problem happens, it's just it didn't happen when we drove the car." So I said you're not even going to take my word for it and test the MAF or anything? "Well would it be OK if our service foreman drove your car home tonight to see if the problem happens then, maybe if he drove it more it would occur?" I said yes, but I asked what the difference would be if it happened to him once or happens to me 5 times a day based on my very thorough description? He didn't have an answer. I said, go talk to your foreman and see if there are any other ideas you guys can come up with, and may I request again that you test the MAF. I told him there was no way I could drive the car in this condition since the problem was happening so often, so they could fix it or I'd take it to another dealership. Every time it lags it is putting my wife and sons and risk.

Then I called Hillside Imports in Portland OR where I used to take my car. The car isn't under warranty anymore, so everything is out of pocket. When I took the car to Hillsides, the owner and his staff took the time to helpe understand the diesel engine a bit, told me exactly what they were doing and why, and were really nice and professional to boot.

I called them up in Portland, and explained that I am moving back to PDX in a few months (which is true) and they were going to get ALL my business once I was back, but could they help me out and tell me what to tell the dealership to check on this problem. They said sure and were really really nice and helpful. They heard my description and immediately suggested the MAF!! They even told me what to tell them to have their tech do to test it. Hook up the monitor and watch block 10, if when they were driving the car and they floored it if block 10 went over 800 the MAF was fine, if it didn't then it was bad.

I've called and left a message with them to do this test, but haven't heard back yet... I mean they could've at least tested the MAF as I suggested, I am out the money whether it is the problem or not, but they just ignored me! If this problem weren't happening so often I wouldn't worry so much about it, but it is and I need it fixed right frigging now!
Bleh... I thought New Century was OK... I don't feel that way anymore. Thank God I'm moving! While I'm still stuck here in LA - if they won't fix it, I guess I'll try VW Pasadena since that is near my work.

Chad

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Chad, rescue you car from the dealer.

Contact member Harvieux in Gardenia. Wild Rose Motors. One of the best TDI wrenches in the country, and fixes things right theh first time.

ChadMad

TDI
Re: Friggin\' Dealer - Won\'t take my money!

I might just do that paramedick! His shop is a 45 minute drive from my house... but it sounds like it may be worth it.
Thanks

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue

It will be more than worth it. I have not heard anybody argue about his tdi skills. I didn't haggle purchasing my b4 because the person I bought it from had purchased it through Harv. Can you believe that the knowing that your were purchasing a car that had been purchased from a specific used car dealer is a reason to purchase the car? I believe he's good. Now, if he'd fix the air conditioning.... (just kidding Harv - it has worked for me for a year, it's my problem now for sure)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Contact member Harvieux in Gardenia. Wild Rose Motors. One of the best TDI wrenches in the country, and fixes things right theh first time.
Good idea, except his shop is conveniently located in Fullerton.

I have my choice of eight VW dealerships in San Diego County, three of them less than ten miles from my home . So when I have a problem or a question, I drive over 100 miles to Fullerton so Harvieux can look at it.

ChadMad

TDI

OK, dealer just called. Took my suggestions on the MAF and testing it. Decided not to test it to see if it was the problem, but are just going to replace it. Translation: If it will make you shut up we will replace the flippin MAF, but we're not going to test it to see if it is the problem for sure like you suggested because we don't want to spend the time on it and you are open to just having it replaced.

I agreed based on the all the advice I've received. I just hope I'm right, then I will have saved the labor on the test... If I'm wrong, it's off to Fullerton I guess!!

Chad

ChadMad

TDI

Hey, when the MAF is intermittently on the blink it doesn't throw a VAGCOM code right?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Good idea, except his shop is conveniently located in Fullerton.
Sorry.

KennyFlys

TDI
XX

Earlier this year, I posted a similar problem. Any time there was a load, either on acceration or hill, the engine would back down and sputter. The problem was intermittant and picked no particular time to show up. I could not nail it to cold, hot nor fuel quality.

The dealer had it for three days. I told them to even have techs drive it home. They could never duplicate the problem nor get any codes to show. Nor could they find a coolant leak that was causing the loss of a half gallon every week. Go figure!

Two nights later it was showing up so I took it to the dealer just as the Jim Ellis VW sales crew was locking up. I demanded one of them drive it. They did and verified the problem. The next morning I displayed such disatisfaction that they even decided to no longer service my car. I told them to pay for my rental for the time they couldn't do their job and they would be rid of me.

I went to Gossett VW who discovered the MAF sensor was bad. On top of that, they discovered the fuel filter had restricted flow. Both were replaced and power was restored to normal without any sign of a problem ever existing.

It's clear some dealers simply do not treat TDIs with the same attention as gassers. In spite of so many being sold, I think many service departments think of them being a pain.

All TDI owners can do is vote for the better dealers with their dollars and point out those who provide superior service.

I should add that VW's extended warranty pretty much sucks outside of normal repair. The rental reimbursement policy isn't worth a dime.

ChadMad

TDI

It's clear some dealers simply do not treat TDIs with the same attention as gassers. In spite of so many being sold, I think many service departments think of them being a pain.
I agree. I didn't feel that way at New Century before but I realize now that is because I got their best service write up guy (Steve - he is very cool) and that my problems were relatively normal. This time I got the worst kind of service writer - the one who assures me things were done even though he doesn't understand them. I asked him questions that were unique to TDI's, based on his answers he CLEARLY had no idea what he was talking about, but rather than admitting he didn't know much about TDI's and asking a tech and getting back to me, he just gabbed on and on about things that I knew really had nothing to do with my car and tried to fake it. So he was never really interested or in a position to advocate for me with the the tech crew and since you have to deal with these guys and you can't necessarily just talk to the tech's themselves you go through this long journey to get help.

The car is now performing normally again since I picked it up yesterday after having the MAF replaced. He said the old MAF didn't throw any codes, I told him that my understanding was that when the MAF is going bad intermittently it won't always throw a code and asked him to test it in other ways. They didn't (although he tried to tell me they did, but when pressured said the just did VAG COM, which as we all know does not always catch every problem)

Much more annoying really, was that they wouldn't take my seriously. I told them what I wanted tested and what was happening with the car and they just didn't listen. I'm not under warranty! They could've charged me for all these things, so I don't know what the problem was... Not going back to them ever though..
Chad

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White

I have my choice of eight VW dealerships in San Diego County, three of them less than ten miles from my home .
I think I now hate you... just kidding.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

I have my choice of eight VW dealerships in San Diego County, three of them less than ten miles from my home .
I think I now hate you... just kidding.
It's a big county -- about 70 miles north-to-south, and 90-100 miles east-to-west. Almost everyone lives within 25 or 30 miles of the coast, however. We have five or six distinct climate zones, though the local weather dudes/chicks only forecast for four zones: coastal, inland, mountains, and desert. It is possible at some times of year to observe a 30 degree variation in temperature between two locations 20 miles apart.

We have too many VW dealerships, probably. But each fills a niche, either serving a geographic area or a demographic group. Most people have a single logical choice of dealership, I just happen to live reasonably close to three of them, and not too far from two others.

My point was, however, that despite this plethora of VW technical talent (sic), I prefer to drive 100 miles to Fullerton so I can have Harvieux check out my Golf.