Leaking injection pump

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
So my 98 Jetta tdi has a recently rebuilt injection pump. within last 30 000 kms. Has not been a spec of leakage up till this weekend. Got damn cold here, and I went to start in the morning. battery was toast. got new battery and she started but with issues. left running for 20 minutes while I got ready. got into the car and could smell raw diesel. went and looked at injection pump and the top cover is leaking from the oring.
I just ran diesel purge through it a week ago.
Coincidence?

Kris1987

TDI
98 Jetta
I dont think diesel purge should make it leak, do you ever run biodiesel in it? That can cause seals to expand and if you switch back to regular diesel it can make it leak. Maybe check cover bolts to make sure they havent backed out? Be careful not to tighten to much its aluminum and can strip the threads. I think the spec is only like 15lbs. Maybe someone who knows for sure can confirm?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Rebuilt by you, a shop or another? Sometimes when people reseal a leaking pump, they tend to only change the leaking seal.

The cover is an easy one.

-Todd

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
when i purchased car it was recently rebuilt by a diesel shop. i have the receipt. it was just done before purchase. I know its an easy seal. unfortunatley i did not have one on hand. its not just seeping, it is puddling on the pump. Gonna have to drive it like this for a couple days till new seal comes in.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
That's a quick fix, but it could also cause the non leaking seals to start leaking when everything shrinks back down. Now, if the plan is to reseal the entire pump, it shouldn't be an issue.

-Todd

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Make sure you regularly spray down your coolant hoses below with a degreaser, like Simple Green or something, to keep them from being eaten away by the diesel.