2014 RAM EcoDiesel, so far very impressed

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Who ever designed the fuel neck on these things should be shot.
I too think that the capless fuel filler thing is about the WORST thing ever to happen to diesel trucks in the history of diesel trucks ever, ever.:mad: The Cummins sadly has that POS, too, and I cannot fathom how someone thought that thing was OK. Half the time the friggin thing will cause the diesel nozzle to falsely and immediately trip off, no matter how far I shove it in. The only solution seems to be pushing it in all the way and twisting the nozzle a bit towards the rear of the truck.

I won't even go into how easy that thing will allow fuel contamination with water and dirt...

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
cool. Thanks and good luck. we are all interested in your experience.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
27.9 mpg is way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond fantastic for a 3 ton, brick shaped, 4 wheel drive truck.

Awesome!!! Interior looks great, too.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Just drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Ecodiesel.:D

It was pretty fun! Definitely the engine I would buy if I were to purchase a Grand Cherokee. The thing was very peppy, and the 8-speed transmission is just as good as it is in the Ecodiesel 1500. Honestly, the Jeep felt just a tad quicker, but it has been a month since I drove the Ecodiesel 1500 so maybe the butt dyno was just off calibration...

Anyways, it was otherwise the same driving in the Jeep as in the 1500, but I did notice a few minor physical differences.

First, the Jeep Ecodiesel uses hydraulic power steering instead of the 1500's electronic power steering. I was disappointed when I saw the PS fluid reservoir under the GC's hood.:(

Second, the fuel door locks on the Jeep and uses a different, but still capless, diesel filler. This filler is smaller, and won't accept the massive "truck stop" nozzle. I'm not sure if it is less of a frustrating process filling the Jeep compared to the Ram with the bigger capless filler, but I have hope...
(FYI, the DEF filler is in the fuel door on the Jeep, too.)

Third, the air filter box in the jeep is totally different and is on the driver's side, not the passenger's side. It also has a snorkel/scoop, which the 1500 doesn't.

After driving both, I would get the 1500 over the Jeep, simply due to personal preference. Those who prefer SUVs over pickups would not be disappointed with the Grand Cherokee.

TurboDieselPoint

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Depends on what you're hauling! People and their crap, Jeep is better. Crap for your lawn or garden, or home improvements, go with the Ram

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
Any updates on how you like the truck? A friend of mine has one on order.

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
Have you had any fuel system issues with your EcoDiesel as reported by Consumer Reports? (My favorite automotive source of reliable information)

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Have you had any fuel system issues with your EcoDiesel as reported by Consumer Reports? (My favorite automotive source of reliable information)
you mean the one to tell the Lincoln Town Car was jiggly isn't that the whole purpose of buying a town car you wanted to ride like a boat

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
No problems yet. Just added some def for the first time. Average 25.4 mpg after 6500 miles. There was a big recall on the 2500s and 3500s.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
100% problem free

lifetime average is 26.5, most used on the hwy

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Watching tv tonight and the dodge end of year discount commercial was on. Something like $8500 off the big ram edition and noticed the disclaimer "gasoline engine only".

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I was reading a review and rating article a few days ago that stated the current Grand Cherokee CDI turbodiesel, the same drivetrain is having transmission issues. This issue caused the diesel SUV to get a poor below average rating.

I have been trying to look into this to see if the pickup is suffering the same problems???

Anyone know if the truck is also having this transmission problem???

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I was reading a review and rating article a few days ago that stated the current Grand Cherokee CDI turbodiesel, the same drivetrain is having transmission issues. This issue caused the diesel SUV to get a poor below average rating.

I have been trying to look into this to see if the pickup is suffering the same problems???

Anyone know if the truck is also having this transmission problem???
RAM doesn't use the same transmission as Jeep.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
they both are a 8 spd transmission, correct???? How different could they be???
Don't really know. The jury is still out on which one is better. They are both ZF sourced units that both also occur in BMW and others. Something has the different between a Ram and a 3 series one would think too.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Shouldn't the truck have a beefier tranny than the jeep?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It looks like the Grand Cherokee and the Ram 1500 both use the ZF 8HP70 in all applications except the 3.6 V6 gas engine (which uses the Chrysler 845RE, a licensed clone of the ZF 8HP45).

It's worth noting that the Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD EcoDiesel is 5065 lbs, the Ram 1500 Tradesman 2WD EcoDiesel regular cab 8' bed is 5050 lbs. Loading them up, a GC Summit 4WD EcoDiesel is 5374 lbs, a Ram 1500 Laramie Limited 4WD EcoDiesel crew cab 6'4" bed is 5950 lbs.

And, the truck probably has worse aero, too. So, I'd expect the truck to be eating more transmissions than the GC.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
All I have been able to find are hard shifts, going into N unexpectedly and not shifting properly in the 2014 GC. A few transmissions have been replaced but all still on the lot (not sold yet) and the sold units that have already been reporting issues seem to be getting a reflash. I still have not found anything on this happening to the truck???

I have done a little more reading on this and this thing is used in a lot of offerings around the world......So hopefully it is just a programming issue, not something that will lead to them eating themselves from bad shifts....

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
We have Italian engines and German transmissions. What could go wrong? No problems yet. I'm almost ready for my first oil change.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Kokomo

We have Italian engines and German transmissions. What could go wrong? No problems yet. I'm almost ready for my first oil change.
I beleve the transmissions are built by FCA at Kokomo Transmission and Kokomo Casting in Indiana.

Let us know how the oil change goes.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Im surprised that Ford and Chevy still make their Diesel pieces of crap, the only Diesel truck to buy is the Cummins, nuff said...
Sorry to comment on this so late, but we have two LMM Duramaxes that just topped 700,000 miles. The worst thing that has happened to them is the #8 exhaust manifold stud has broken on both of them somewhere North of 600,000 miles.

Oh, I have put in maybe half a dozen glow plugs in the past 750,000 miles too.

Last edited by a moderator: