Need mechanic in Lancaster, Pa area

blkpas

TDI
2005 Passat
Just found out my tdi guy (Kevin at Roberts Automotive in Mountville ) has left. I need someone new for inspections, advise, and major work ( I can handle most of the small stuff like brakes, filters, oil changes). Anybody out there you trust ? I hate to go back to the dealer ( have not had the best luck at Autohaus Lancaster).

Thanx

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Get in touch with Oliver (TdiRacing) or email him at torquejunkie.com. He is about an hour or so way in notheren Baltimore. If he is too far and you need a PA inspection call him anyway I'm sure he knows somebody in PA. Jeff of rocketchip is based out of PA and can be of assistiance as well.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Alternately, Rolf (AKA: Winter) on here is very good. He is in Oley, which is not too far of a run for you.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Also user name: Metal_Man (i think) is in Sunbury along route 15 about 1.5 hours north of Lancaster.

Does great work!

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
blkpas said:
Just found out my tdi guy (Kevin at Roberts Automotive in Mountville ) has left. I need someone new for inspections, advise, and major work ( I can handle most of the small stuff like brakes, filters, oil changes). Anybody out there you trust ? I hate to go back to the dealer ( have not had the best luck at Autohaus Lancaster).

Thanx

Stay AWAY from Autohaus. Robert's is still okay for inspections. If you need major work done, I would go see Metal Man in Sunbury! Worth the trip...

http://www.metalmanparts.com/

Last edited:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Wow Rocket chip him self is close and with Oliver thet are the 2 best close to you. And they work on cars.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
kromicacid said:
Also user name: Metal_Man (i think) is in Sunbury along route 15 about 1.5 hours north of Lancaster.

Does great work!
Second this! He's 2.5 hours away and I still take mine there for work. Inspections I get done locally but any repair work goes there (unless I do a road trip to OH in St Louis).

2005JettaTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I just a bought a TDI from Maryland and live in Lancaster, PA....was considering Autohaus for future repairs and maintenance....whats wrong with them?

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
I just a bought a TDI from Maryland and live in Lancaster, PA....was considering Autohaus for future repairs and maintenance....whats wrong with them?
Everything!! I use them for batteries ONLY. If you need engine work, go to Dennis (metal_man) in Sunbury. If you need brakes, inspection, etc, try Roberts automotive on Columbia ave. There's also Rankin's garage (haven't been there).

If you REALLY, REALLY need a dealer, try Lebanon then York.

jpluddite

TDI
2003 Beetle
Does anyone know if Paul Whitmer is still in Ephrata? If so, are there any updates regarding members' opinion of his work?

Cheers,

vwtdi1955

TDI
1999, 2003 Jetta TDIs
Yes Paul Witmer is still in Ephrata, I have his address and contact info posted above. Always happy with his work and rates, I have an appt to replace a glow plug there on Friday.

jpluddite

TDI
2003 Beetle
Thanks for the quick response!

What work has he done for you? I'm looking for a good diagnostician. The Lebanon VW dealearship has been absolutely unhelpful. My 2003 Beetle has 93K miles on it but is smoking and idles unevenly, specially when cold.

Are there other TDI mechanics in the area that you recommend?

vwtdi1955

TDI
1999, 2003 Jetta TDIs
Thanks for the quick response!
What work has he done for you? I'm looking for a good diagnostician. The Lebanon VW dealearship has been absolutely unhelpful. My 2003 Beetle has 93K miles on it but is smoking and idles unevenly, specially when cold.
Are there other TDI mechanics in the area that you recommend?
He's changed timing belts, rebuilt top ends, glow plugs and harnesses, I'd recommend them for anything TDI related. The only other one I could recommend is Roberts Automotive in Mountville although they're a little pricier.

http://www.roberts-automotive.com

I think Roberts is on the TDI guru list as well.

jpluddite

TDI
2003 Beetle
Oh, I thought that the TDI guy left Robert's Automotive. Here's a post from earlier in the thread:

"Just found out my tdi guy (Kevin at Roberts Automotive in Mountville ) has left. I need someone new for inspections, advise, and major work ( I can handle most of the small stuff like brakes, filters, oil changes). Anybody out there you trust ? I hate to go back to the dealer ( have not had the best luck at Autohaus Lancaster).

Thanx"

vwtdi1955

TDI
1999, 2003 Jetta TDIs
You could be right, don't know. I called them before Witmers hoping they could squeeze me in quickly and they were going to do the glow plugs if I was willing to wait a week.

jpluddite

TDI
2003 Beetle
I had to cancel last week's appt at Whitmer's because of snow, but I rescheduled for this week, and I'm happy with the results.

They were very attentive. I live about 30 minutes from Whitmer's garage, but even so by the time I got home they had left a voicemail asking me call them. During that time, they had already checked everything that it took the dealership several weeks to consider. They asked me if I had used ether or anything similar to cold start it because doing so can apparently bend a rod, so they wanted to rule that out.

Ultimately, they did a purge for the injectors, and it seems to be running okay. It's due for an inspection in February, so if it acts up before then, I'll take it back. I guess, even if it doesn't, I'll take it back to them.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

jpluddite

TDI
2003 Beetle
The problem came back after a couple weeks and worse than ever. It was blowing black smoke so bad that a cop stopped my wife because he thought something was wrong with the car.

I went to Wolfe's VW & Audi service near Harrisburg, and they found a couple wires in the harness that connected to the mass flow sensor that had been sliced (badly). They fixed those and it now seems like a new car. I just got it back yesterday, so it's too soon for a party, but I'm very hopeful.

Any idea why someone would splice those wires?

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
One of the guys that works at Wolf's is Ray, Ray is a fantastic mechanic. Has skills beyond most mortals. So, you chose wisely.