Hard start at 29deg F

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle Convertible - sold back
Folks,
Reread stembridge's post and realized I am having the same issues with my 14.
There are threads in the Jetta and Golf areas about the cold start issue with the TDi engine. I am curious if anyone else has had the issue or something similar.
My 2014 TDI Beetle convertible did the exact same thing that is being reported in the other groups. Initial start turned over, sputtered died. Second attempt turned over like a week battery third attempt did not turn over.
Long story short, after 20 minutes on the phone, got frustrated and tried it again. This time it turned over and I and got it running by holding the throttle part way down.
Ran like crap for about 15 seconds then smoothed out.
Odd thing was that the oil temp gauge indicated the oil was around 200F so I am not sure it is the same thing.
The car is at my local dealer. hopefully they will be able to figure out what is going on.
To add to this, over the last few months there have been a few instances where the car has sputtered badly above 3000 rpm accelerating up a hill. Usually damp and 45 to 50F.

Last edited:

stembridge

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Beetle Convertible
If it were a carbureted engine, I'd say those were ideal conditions for carb icing (damp and within ~15° of freezing). Wonder if there's a venturi effect in the intake/intercooler piping that's causing an icing condition?

es

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
Good question.
I have 2 other TDIs that I can reference and neither of them have had these issues. (Both are the same generation engine, one was an 11 and the other a 12).
It makes me wonder if there is something else causing the moisture build
up or if it is simply the driving conditions.
My commute is rural with some stop and go. Theirs is mostly interstate.
Cold weather kit has been ordered. Keeping my fingers crossed.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I can't really help with the problem, but my input would be to suggest a vcds (if you don't already have one) and run it on the car before you take it to the dealer. That way you have nearly the same, if not the same information as the dealer. It is a good way to help keep them honest. Also, I wonder if the oil temp showing at 200 degrees is keeping the cold weather startup systems from activating, just a thought, good luck...Mark

Last edited:

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
True, that was really weird. It is possible the computer got really confused with the restart attempts and that is why the oil temp gauge was way off. There is no way of telling.
A vcds is on my Xmas list. I don't work on my cars any more but I do like to have the information needed to troubleshoot them.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Wife's '13 stumbled the first time I tried starting it in 20F weather. Almost died without a little throttle pedal, but after running a few moments it was fine. The car had sat for several days before this and has not had any symptoms like that since. But I do notice the stumble on acceleration under just the right conditions when its that cold outside.

There was a software update to some of the PD BEW cars for the wet/cold no start. I also remember something about cranks sensor wiring on some of the affected cars. I wonder if that problem has worked its way into some of these cars?

Jason

vwdeluxe

TDI
2013 Beetle TDI Convertible
I have had a starting issue occur three times in the past year. The same thing happened each time. Vehicle tries to start or starts and then immediately dies on the first try. All subsequent attempts to start result in cranking but no turnover and the "glow plug" warning light illuminates or flashes. The first time it happened I was in Las Vegas visiting relatives. it was over 100 degrees out and I had just driven for a few hours and stopped for lunch. I thought I was going to have to call AAA, when all of a sudden it started after sitting for a while - maybe a 1/2 hour or so. The second time it did the same thing on a "cold" start after sitting overnight, but it started a minute or two later. And the third time was just last week. First start of the day and it did the same thing. Waited a second and it started right up. I live in Southern CA so the outside temp during the last two instances has been around 70 degrees. And each time that it started it was running fine - no hesitation, rough running, etc.

It hasn't left me stranded and I intend on bringing it up the next time I am in for service. Not sure if it is related to your issue or the others, but I thought I would share.

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
deluxe,

That issue sounds more like an issue I had with exactly the same symptoms last summer. I told the dealer as it had only 5k on it at that time but as it still worked did not expect them to do anything. Then at 6k when it would not start I had it towed to the dealer(no check engine, no plug lights nothing just would not start the first time I tried.) They told me it was the crank pos. sensor and after 3 days of no car I got it back and its worked perfect, now at 25k. However the last 2 days I tried to start it it has taken 4-10 cranks before it starts I believe that is because it has sat for an extended period of time before than another crank sensor.

Ron

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This phenomenon has been discussed at length in the Sportwagen forum - there is a sticky thread with all of the information about how and why it happens. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863

If you force the engine to start, you risk hydrolocking it and bending the connecting rods. This is fine if you're under warranty and are prepared to lose your car while they replace the engine, but for those of you who are out of warranty, this will be a very expensive repair bill.

Your best bet is to give up at the first sign of hydrolock and have the car towed to the dealer for the revised intercooler kit.

TL;DR: If you are unfamiliar with this phenomenon, it is caused by high humidity EGR gas being condensed into liquid water inside of the cold intercooler. The water accumulates over time until it is finally ingested by the engine, causing a hard start, no start, or significant damage.

Last edited:

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
Update:
Cold weather kit installed. Not sure if they did anything else but the car is running much better with no really rough regens or odd sputtering in the last 400 miles. Knock on wood.
On cold startup the engine is a little rough for a couple of seconds then runs fine. At these temps, that is about what I expect.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
The intercooler condensation/ice-up is pretty well known, but I have as yet to experience it. I don't find any stumbling with starting a cold engine unless it's below -15°C. or so. I hope a new tank of fuel will end this and get you back to normalcy.