noise in front end when slightly turning

Milton

TDI
2004 golf
I have a 2004 V/W Golf diesel turbo
A slight grinding? noise occures when at a resonable speed and slightly turning the steering wheel more so one way than the other
The power steering fluid is not topped up, just a bit low on the stick
Dosen't sound like tire noise
Any ideas??

Thanks
Milton

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Wheel bearing I would guess, if it goes noisey when turning right then usually it's the left and so on. If it's a manual car you could jack up the suspect wheel and spin it, if you can't hear anything obvious then fire the engine up and put the car in 5th then rev it up and dip the clutch, you should hear it then.:)

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Got a real similar noise on my 04 as well, but it's an automagic. Anybody have suggestions on how to diagnose...can you spin the wheels fast enough with them off the ground to hear the bearing noise?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The way that wheel bearing noises manifest themselves is that while driving straight, the noise will change if you move the wheel slightly side to side from center.

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Mine makes no noise when going straight but only when I swerve or corner right over 30mph I get a groaning/grinding sound. Which sounds like its coming from the driver side. Planning on doing the bearings but I hope its not an axle or something more expensive...

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Same issue. In the last couple of weeks I've had a growl out of the drivers side that had the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing. Turn to the left the growl gets worse, turn to the right it diminishes. Problem is after replacing the wheel bearing there is no change, so now I'm assuming the inner bearing at the transfer case is shot. There's no clicking or popping that would indicate a u-joint on the shaft has gone bad.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Same issue. In the last couple of weeks I've had a growl out of the drivers side that had the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing. Turn to the left the growl gets worse, turn to the right it diminishes. Problem is after replacing the wheel bearing there is no change, so now I'm assuming the inner bearing at the transfer case is shot. There's no clicking or popping that would indicate a u-joint on the shaft has gone bad.
Did you only replace one wheel bearing? I was sure I had narrowed it down when I did mine. Replaced the side that evidence seemed to point to only to have the sound persist. Replaced the other side and noise was gone...

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
As a point of fact I did replace just the one. What should have been a two hour job turned into a marathon. The spindle hub which should have popped right out with a tap of a slide hammer would not let go. Torch, can of penetrant, nothing worked. I ended up having to cut the hub off at the steering knuckle and pulling what was left with the bearing puller. I was not happy.

Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll go for the other. I beat my hands to pieces on that job. I know what you're saying about the way noise travels in the uni-body. I had a cupped tire on the back that everyone was telling me was a bad bearing. It sounded like a bearing with a flat spot, but then an ol' timey mechanic of my acquaintance reached back into the wheel well, felt the inner edge of the back tire and said "It's feathered, that's your noise". Hmmm... maybe I need to take him for a ride again...

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Gotta tackle this myself soon. I plan to just change the whole knuckle Assy since I have them sitting here waiting for me. I think I will do both at the same time.

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Mine makes no noise when going straight but only when I swerve or corner right over 30mph I get a groaning/grinding sound. Which sounds like its coming from the driver side. Planning on doing the bearings but I hope its not an axle or something more expensive...
It turned out to be the bearing. Replaced the driver side bearing and now the noise is gone!