Does anyone know about guages?

Jeff TDI

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
I would like to add some guages to my new Jetta, possibly an oil pressure guage and a boost guage. Three would be great, and I would make that an EGT guage.

Does anyone have or know about availability of these things?

Thanks in advance....Jeff

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
What year is your Jetta? Is it the newer body style or the older one?

I have an A-pillar mount on my car and Autometer boost gauge. Don't get the ill-fitting gauge mount from ND that I got.

Get a boost only gauge. My boost/vacuum gauge never goes into the vacuum side.

Trying to figure out where to mount the gauges would be one of the harder aspects of doing this but it can be done.

Jeff TDI

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
My car is a 2000 Jetta. At Gary's suggestion, I have checked with autometer, but see no 2000 models.

How did you install the boost guage? Where did you hook everything up?

v/r Jeff

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Jeff,

You will need to give them a call. I was at the Sema show last week and they had the "new" stuff on display.. There is a 2000 supplimental catalog that shows it..

Gary

jmoore

TDI
2001 Jetta Black 5 sp
Boost gauge

I just installed a boost gauge (VDO). It only shows boost upon accelleration. None even at any sustained rpm only if I am stepping on it. Is this normal or is there a problem? Also my oil gauge does not function. I will check for ground at the sender later as I have run out of daylight.
Car runs very well so if there is a boost leak it is not large enough to notice, can't here one either.

Thanks

Jim

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
jmoore said:
I just installed a boost gauge (VDO). It only shows boost upon accelleration. None even at any sustained rpm only if I am stepping on it. Is this normal or is there a problem? Also my oil gauge does not function. I will check for ground at the sender later as I have run out of daylight.
Car runs very well so if there is a boost leak it is not large enough to notice, can't here one either.

Thanks

Jim
There should almost always be 0.5 to 3 PSI of boost driving along, depending on how fast and how much small uphill/downhill there is the road. My manifold abs. pressure is almost always between 15.1 and 17 when crusing.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Personally, I think that the 3 gauge DIN panel should be reserved for slow moving gauges, or ones that you don't look at often, like oil pressure, temp, etc.
Boost and EGT should go on the steering wheel column as a pair, or the column. I really dislike the nylon cable on the boost gauge and have replaced it with a vacuum hose. I recommend doing the same. I bought a bag of fittings (only place I could find them had bags). I can ship you some for a few dollars.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Soo... where do you tap into the vaccum lines?

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
I was lazy and tapped the upper hose, but one should really tap the hose before the intercooler for the boost gauge and valve.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Now see I heard the opposite as the upper tube is realistically what the engine is receiving so you want to tap that.

The valve could also just be tapped into the current vaccum lines.

I agree the 3 din panel should be for the less important ones, looking down like that is dangerous.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the boost gauge and boost valve are for the turbo's health. The boost valve will work faster closer to the turbo, and the boost gauge will give a more accurate reading of spikes. Of course, it might not actually matter, but if it does the lower pipe would be better. The engine won't blow up if its under or over boosted.

lilzeus

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Blue
Only one problem I see with that. You dont know how much boost is being generated. You have to do some kind of conversion in your head or something. 1 LED = x amount of boost, I just saw it light up 5 of them, so that.....ah screw it.

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Been about a week since the last post, so I hope nobody has any heartache if I hijack this thread....OK I'll just borrow it for some related discussion:

Amp meter or Volt guage?

I understand the difference between the two values, but which is more helpful info if I was going to choose one or the other?

Relating to previous discussion, I just picked up a dual guage steering column "Diesel pod" from NewSouth Performance...Boost & EGT...should get around to installing that next week.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Fortuna Wolf said:
I really dislike the nylon cable on the boost gauge and have replaced it with a vacuum hose. I recommend doing the same. I bought a bag of fittings (only place I could find them had bags). I can ship you some for a few dollars.
PM sent!