AdBlue consumption

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
So I just had my first service completed this AM. 89xx miles and it took "about" 2 gallons. I assume that the dealership uses bulk DEF and doesn't really know. I'm OK with that % of DEF use.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I actually don't care one bit for having the diesel fuel / AdBlue fillers together right there under the fuel cover. Yeah, they're easily distinguished, but I know that Murphy never sleeps, and I've seen stranger things happen than someone dump a bunch of AdBlue into the fuel tank. Or vice-versa.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I actually don't care one bit for having the diesel fuel / AdBlue fillers together right there under the fuel cover. Yeah, they're easily distinguished, but I know that Murphy never sleeps, and I've seen stranger things happen than someone dump a bunch of AdBlue into the fuel tank. Or vice-versa.
With the volume of the DEF tank and the Passat's miserly use of the substance, I think placing it in the trunk makes perfect sense.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Boy I sure do see a lot of whining on the forums about the Passat TDI... yet they DON'T whine and complain about the fuel economy data.... Some people need to swallow a pride pill and drink a quart of shut-up juice !!!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Boy I sure do see a lot of whining on the forums about the Passat TDI... yet they DON'T whine and complain about the fuel economy data.... Some people need to swallow a pride pill and drink a quart of shut-up juice !!!
It seems that the whining increases in the winter time once all of those electric heaters get fired up. ;)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Just wanted to give a longer term update on my AdBlue range experiment. I do all my own service and last filled my urea tank at 10K miles. I just passed 28K on the odo, so I'm at 18K miles on my latest urea refill with no warnings yet. I'm hopeful to settle into a 20k cycle for urea fill and it looks like it may be very doable.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Guys, I've heard AdBlue is really sensetive to cold.
What do you do in freezing winters?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Guys, I've heard AdBlue is really sensetive to cold.
What do you do in freezing winters?
The Germans have been aware of climatic conditions in North America for some time, so we are able to simply drive in a normal manner and park outside whenever we wish.

:eek:

Bill

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
AFAIK there is a tank heater that keeps it from freezing (or at least thaws it if it does) and provides DEF to the engine till it warms up.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I use 2.5 gallons of BlueDef every 10K... you'll be fine!

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
AFAIK there is a tank heater that keeps it from freezing (or at least thaws it if it does) and provides DEF to the engine till it warms up.
Let's be accurate here--DEF is not consumed in the engine, rather it is used in the exhaust system. It is metered out as needed at a rate that depends on driving conditions. The system does not need DEF continuously, which is why if DEF freezes the DEF tank heater can thaw it out by the time it is needed.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
DEF is injected whenever the engine is running and the amount is varied based on current fuel consumption. The DEF tank, the DEF lines, and the DEF nozzle are all electrically heated and will thaw the frozen DEF almost instantly in the winter.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Just wanted to give a longer term update on my AdBlue range experiment. I do all my own service and last filled my urea tank at 10K miles. I just passed 28K on the odo, so I'm at 18K miles on my latest urea refill with no warnings yet. I'm hopeful to settle into a 20k cycle for urea fill and it looks like it may be very doable.
Just to add another data point. I brought my car in for a check engine light issue. While there, with 8600 miles on the clock, the dealer suggested he could do the 10k mile service as well. So, service was performed and when they brought the car around front, I asked how much Adblue it took. The Tech replied they didn't but any in as there was no indication that it needed to be filled. I talked to the Service Manager, and he directed the shop to top off the tank. It took 3/5ths of a gal. in 8600 miles. I was surprised at the low usage of adblue. But they didn't spill any while filling, so I was happy. I spent some time talking the service manager, and he told me that VW stated specifically that the dealer was not to add Adblue unless the indicator light on the dash called for adding. Period. Now this is a new Dealership, with everyone coming from the world of Toyota and Lexus, so they have a lot of learning to do. But, I like them, they are courteous and anxious to satisfy and willing to do what it takes to keep a customer happy. He also said that they no longer could get the small bottles with the fill neck that work so great on these cars. They could only buy bulk Adblue, but had fashioned a few funnels out of some of the screw on bottles to prevent spillage.

The CEL was a one time event, with a couple of codes thrown, that resolved themselves and cleared when I turned the car on after stopping on my way to the appointment. They printed out scan and everything checked out A okay and they responded that it was just a one time event. This actually seems rather likely, as at the time I had the CEL appear, I was rowing through the gears manually shifting and accelerating/braking with enthusiasm in some twisties.

Oh, in the conversation I asked them about the tune friendliness of VW. He responded that he thought they were reasonable and would only kick back claims when it was obvious that the warranty claim was found to be in an area that was directly affected by a tune. But, he also added that he had thought about doing an APR chip for a CC he got for his wife, but after an incident on a Golf that was chipped and denied warranty coverage on an area that VW felt was impacted by chipping, that he wouldn't take the chance on his own car.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Just so everyone knows, any truck stop sells bulk DEF for less than half the retail price. Buy a nice 5 gallon can, visit a truck stop and fill er up. I paid $2.29 a gallon for DEF.
:D

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
... I spent some time talking the service manager, and he told me that VW stated specifically that the dealer was not to add Adblue unless the indicator light on the dash called for adding. Period. ...
Interesting, bound to get a few upset customers especially since the 1st item on the maintenance schedule is.

AdBlue®. Fluid: Check fluid level and add if necessary.

I guess the "if necessary" is that you are down to the warning light.

I know the dealership I used missed filling the tank on my 10K visit and by 15k the light had come on. It upset me that I had to go back between servicings to get it filled so I have made a point to remind them to fill the tank ever since.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
My own experience makes it apparent that the Passat (at least mine anyway) can go 20K between AdBlue refills without a problem.

Anyone who ever mentions AdBlue as some sort of prohibitive cost or inconvenience factor in deciding to buy a Passat is badly misinformed or has an agenda.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
OK...my turn. Im on a mad dash to Hays Kansas to watch my daughter play college softball and my DEF warning comes on. Says 1500 miles left. No big deal until 90 miles later it says, "900 miles left" . At this point Im 200 miles from the closest VW Dealer and not trusting my guage. I call my dealer and tell him im not sure they topped it off at the 10k and can I use walmart DEF. He says no, but he will let me talk to parts. The parts guy says " he cant tell me I can use Walmart DEF...but it is all the same stuff" I used a short transmission funnel with with a ridge down the outside for air so the tank can breath while you fill it. I did not know how big the tank was so I would add about 1/2 gallon at a time and check the fill neck to see if I could see fluid. Took all 2 1/2 gallons and could see fluid in the tank. Did not spill a drop, no drama, The filler tube that comes with the Walmart fluid makes it pretty easy. Could be done without the funnel if you had to.

Lessons Learned:
1. No special filler tubes are necessary, a funnel makes easier.
2. Wal mart DEF is fine
3. FOWLER VOLKSWAGEN IN NORMAN OKLAHOMA LET ME DOWN AGAIN....

If you are reading this, dont panic. Good luck!!
Jay
Thanks for this post. I have been searching for a while to see if it's really necessary to have the screw on bottle or not. I can understand how it prevents spills, but I'm happy to know that I don't need to use it. Any 'ole funnel and a slow controlled pour from a jug should fill the tank and not spill all over the place. It might require 2 sets of hands, but I think I can manage to get some help every 10-15k miles.

Mudbone17

TDI
2013 VW Passat
My 2013 Passat TDI SE has just under 13.000 miles on the odometer. At around 8K, I bought a VAG-COM cable to perform a few tweaks. When I did, I happened to check the AdBlue percentage level and it was about 97%. At that time, i figured i needed to gain more knowledge with the software. Later, I noticed on the technician's report from my 10K service that very little DEF was added with the servicing. I just checked the level again (with VAG-COM) and it says 100.2%.

Obviously, the car is using very little (if any) DEF. should I be concerned? My overall mileage is about 40mpg in about 60-40 highway-city driving. On my last trip to No. VA taking my wife to Inova Mt. Vernon, I averaged 52mpg.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
When we went in for the "courtesy check," the service person specifically said that when we bring it for the 10K, that includes a top-up of the AdBlue. It's just moronic to even perform a 10K service and not do this......

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My 2013 Passat TDI SE has just under 13.000 miles on the odometer. At around 8K, I bought a VAG-COM cable to perform a few tweaks. When I did, I happened to check the AdBlue percentage level and it was about 97%. At that time, i figured i needed to gain more knowledge with the software. Later, I noticed on the technician's report from my 10K service that very little DEF was added with the servicing. I just checked the level again (with VAG-COM) and it says 100.2%.

Obviously, the car is using very little (if any) DEF. should I be concerned? My overall mileage is about 40mpg in about 60-40 highway-city driving. On my last trip to No. VA taking my wife to Inova Mt. Vernon, I averaged 52mpg.
Don't believe the AdBlue levels in VCDS. There are a number of sensors in the AdBlue tank that report "level," but they can be misleading.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you don't refill the tank, and the light DOES come on on the dash, you have to take it in to reset the light...barring that you have VCDS and can reset it yourself. Is this accurate? So, refilling after the light won't turn off the light. Which to me seems a bit dumb as my washer fluid light will go out, and so would my coolant light if I topped off.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
No you can just refill.

FYI, the last 10,000 miles on our car we used 3 gallons of AdBlue :)

-J

Interesting. When I did our 40k service I put 4.5 gallons in the car. I was assuming that I didn't get any during the 30k or even 20k service at the dealer. Maybe I was wrong.

Tdimusings

TDI
Pending 2014 Tdi Passat
To me, if the car is in for service for any reason, why not go ahead and top off the Adblue. It is arleady there, you check all the other fluids, why skip this one?

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
To me, if the car is in for service for any reason, why not go ahead and top off the Adblue. It is arleady there, you check all the other fluids, why skip this one?
Doesn't the manual state that if you are going to add Adblue to the system that you need to add at least 1.5 gallons?

If that is true, why is that you simply cannot add AdBlue in smaller quantities?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There is a low level float sensor that triggers the low AdBlue light. You must add enough for the sensor to "make" and indicate to the instrument cluster that fluid has been added. If you don't add enough, it will continue displaying the warning (and counting down).

So for the ease of instruction, they tell you to add 1.5 gallons, which is presumable the amount of fluid required to go from empty to the low level sensor.

If your low level indicator hasn't come on, then you may add as little or as much fluid as you like.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
VeeDub TDI,

Thanks for the information. That makes sense.

If you do let the amount run down to the point where the Adblue warning light does indeed come on, even if you fill it to 100%, the light won't go out on it's own, will it? I've read you have to have the light reset.

Last edited: