Blown head gasket. At 68k miles.

Bendite

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I've had my 2011 TDI for 3000 miles, or since early February this year. It had a coolant a coolant light come about a month ago, checked the coolant, filled it. and now it's going off to the dealership and they say it's a blown head gasket? Should I make them pay for it?

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
What kind of warranty did the car come with? If nothing, you can't MAKE them pay anything. You can ask for pity from them and VWOA customer line.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Should I make them pay for it?
How would you do that, at gunpoint?

If you are out of warranty and have to pay for it, the dealer will be the most expensive option and there is a good chance they won't fix your car correctly.

Last edited:

Bendite

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I didn't get an extended warranty, it came with some very limited 12000 or one year limited "warranty" that apparently doesn't really cover anything. The dealership is saying that it is a possible blown head gasket or cracked motor, they are convinced that VWOA will be nice enough to fix it, but they can't guarantee that they will. If VWOA approves they will fix it free of charge but if not, I will be left with forking over $1800 just for the inspection and still have pay to fix it, they also said doing a trade for another vehicle is an option. Do you think that I should trust VW and the instincts of the service department believing they will cover it? Or just getting something else?

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
^^^ If you have another shop in your area, have it inspected at that Dealer or GURU shop again... Just don't take the first word for it!

Bendite

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
They were saying that they haven't heard of of a car so new with so little miles to of had such issues. They(The service department) think that I do have a case to get this done. but I am just not sure if the gamble is worth it. I guess I can't make them cover it. I do know it had the thermostat and water pump replaced because of cooling issues it had before I bought it. If there is someway that is tied to the leaking coolant I think might be covered under warranty.

Bendite

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I guess It isn't leaking, but it is losing coolant. They are finding traces of exhaust in the coolant. They said they won't know for until they take it apart.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
i would call VW of America and get their input, good luck

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Before I went with a head gasket, and it well could be, I'd wish to check your EGR Cooler. In theory there shouldn't be enough pressure to push exhaust gasses back into the coolant but I'd still check.

Then your own observations... Contaminated coolant should be easily seen in the reservoir. If clean, then almost certainly NOT a head gasket. Given the apparent coolant loss and the possibility of a bad gasket I'd also be wanting to check your oil. No froth allowed.

My guess? Your EGR Cooler has developed a crack. I hope I'm correct.

Bendite

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I'm at power Volkswagen of Corvallis. The dealer contacted VWOA for me, and they said they more than willing to look into it. They just need a cause or a specific failure before they can start any paperwork. I authorized the dealer to tear it apart to find out what's actually wrong. When they do its up to VW to decide whether or not they will give me a goodwill repair. But from what it sounds like from the VW mechanics they are about 99% sure they will do it, especially because they have worked on TDI's for years and never had seen a car so new with so few miles act like that.

I get my loaner car today and have to wait it out I guess.