Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
The 35w slim ballasts that Jeff sent out with the H1 kits are pretty good, but stacked up to my Bug OEM HID are just lacking. It's not Jeff's fault since we are not dealing with an OEM quality HID setup here. However, compared to the e-code jetta lights, the HIDs are hands down better. Conversing with Jeff on the subject of getting close to my Bug's light output, he suggested I look at the DDM tuning website for the 55w slim ballast for the H1 bulb. Just got them in today. WOW, I've got light! So if you want a whiter white and a brighter light, check out the 55w slim ballast from DDM. Now, these are NOT the same as some 55w ballast found on flea bay which are nothing more that rebadged 35w ballasts (ask me how I know).

aydn

TDI
99.5 MKIV ALH
The 35w slim ballasts that Jeff sent out with the H1 kits are pretty good, but stacked up to my Bug OEM HID are just lacking. It's not Jeff's fault since we are not dealing with an OEM quality HID setup here. However, compared to the e-code jetta lights, the HIDs are hands down better. Conversing with Jeff on the subject of getting close to my Bug's light output, he suggested I look at the DDM tuning website for the 55w slim ballast for the H1 bulb. Just got them in today. WOW, I've got light! So if you want a whiter white and a brighter light, check out the 55w slim ballast from DDM. Now, these are NOT the same as some 55w ballast found on flea bay which are nothing more that rebadged 35w ballasts (ask me how I know).
Just to clarify you're running a 55W H1 bulb? About what did you pay for both?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Running the bulbs that Jeff sent which are 35. Even TRS for the H1 says 35w or better. Haven't seen a 55 H1 myself.

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
Leveling motors for golf headlights

Does anyone who bought a set of these for their Golf know if they are compatable with the ECS leveling motor kits?

Slider

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI - 503,000km

How much were the 55w ballasts? Do you have a link? Is there any reason they have to be the slim ballasts as well?

I would have liked to have these in the kit to begin with....oh well.

exist

TDI
'00 5sp Jetta
Just wanted to pop in here and mention that the generic Mini H1 projectors end up with burnt reflector bowls with 55w setups, it doesn't take too long either..

Also, you guys will end up with far better output if you adjust the bulbs in the holder - the pics I've seen have hot spots all over the place. You want the hot spot of the bulb to sit right in the step of the cutoff.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just wanted to pop in here and mention that the generic Mini H1 projectors end up with burnt reflector bowls with 55w setups, it doesn't take too long either..

Also, you guys will end up with far better output if you adjust the bulbs in the holder - the pics I've seen have hot spots all over the place. You want the hot spot of the bulb to sit right in the step of the cutoff.
I have indeed read about that problem, which is part of the reason why I opted to stick with the 35w ballasts.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I too have read about this problem. After having spoken to Jeff on the subject, I opted to get them anyway.

exist

TDI
'00 5sp Jetta
run 55w all you want, the DDM 55w ballasts realistically put out like 38w so it wont really matter. I've tried 3 sets of 55w DDM ballasts and put against every 35w pair of Morimoto ballasts I've had the brightness is the exact same.

When you decide you want to get really bright lights, throw a larger projector in there like Murano's or RX350's and better bulbs, like Osram SVS and Denso ballasts - if you want quick and bright, that is.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I know the DDM 55 (whatever they are) are a heck of a lot brighter than the 35w slims that came with the kit.
Now that I have a spare set of E-code headlights, I might try my hand at a larger HID setup in the future from TRS. In the mean time, the DDM ballasts are doing what I expect when compared to my OEM HID setup in my bug.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
There are fan-cooled 100w ballasts available. Probably will result in nuclear meltdown and 1/4 bulb life though...:D :eek:

When Jeff is done with mine, I'll be running the OSRAM Xenarc SVS Bulbs and 55w ballasts, D2S 2.0 projectors & E-46R shrouds. Should be plenty bright without getting too nuts :)

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
We just installed the set my brother bought, on his mk4 jetta with
a euroswitch. The harness makes for a straightforward clean install.
We used spacers behind the lower screws, factory VW hardened
washers from under the exhaust manifold nuts off a 1.8T.

I just texted him, "How were the lights?" (On his drive home in dark)
He answered, "Excellent. I don't know that they need any adjustment"

(Car has shine racing suspension with bilstiens, kinda nose high and
tail low to give an idea of the stance. We just bolted lights on with the
spacers, no adjustment needed so far. The beam on one side wiggles
with engine vibration. Will tighten it up when we wire up the fog lights.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I got a good way through installing these tonight.

The quality of the Depo fog lights was rather poor, so I moved the fogs from my Hella lights into the Depo housings. I also moved over the US style parking light and connected it in parallel with the city light. The lill 3w city light behind the projector unit looks great IMHO :cool:

Before putting the lights on the car I tested them, and found that the lamp on each one needed shimming slightly to get the hot spot in the right place.

The Jetta is down for other repairs right now, I can't wait to get the lights aimed and see how they are on the road!

-J

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
what watt/lumen is the fog you're running? i am getting 3w LEDs to run in mine but will be using them for city/DRL.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
They are 55w PIAA Ion Crystal selective yellow lamps.

Fog lights only

Low beam HID only

Low beam HID + fog light

High beam HID

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
what watt/lumen is the fog you're running? i am getting 3w LEDs to run in mine but will be using them for city/DRL.
If you intend to use the fog light projectors for DRLs with LED bulbs, then I would recommend removing the cutoff shield from the projector. You'll get more light out of the fixture without the shield.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
They are 55w PIAA Ion Crystal selective yellow
they look good.
If you intend to use the fog light projectors for DRLs with LED bulbs, then I would recommend removing the cutoff shield from the projector. You'll get more light out of the fixture without the shield.
i will check that out, thanks. i didnt even know there was one.

Last edited:
TDI
All,

I have about 16 sets of brand new, totally clear plastic headlight lenses. I do not plan to take them with me on my move, so come next Saturday any that are remaining will go to the recycle bin. If you need a set, you should let me know ASAP.

Jeff

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hi Jeff -

If/when you ever decide to do more of these headlight kits, please keep me in mind (put me on the list).

Thanks!

Jud

TDI
Friends,

As you'll all recall I stopped taking orders for lights two months because of impending life events. My main reasons were the lack of work space in my new place, heavy course load for spring semester, and a wedding. Well, as it turns out, while I have a much smaller area to work there is enough to make lights (but not in large batches as I was before), I am taking a lighter course load than initially anticipated, and my fiance and I spent the better part of those two months hammering out stuff for the wedding..everything from all our vendors to the guest list to invitations, etc. That being said, I think I can continue making lights in a limited capacity. Note the limited part. I am moving from a completely empty two car garage with a 7x4 foot work bench to a 1 car garage that stores a car and a motorcycle and a small table!

I am going to offer up the MK4 lights as I did before. I will also offer MK5 and MK6 lights as well. Additionally, I have come up with a hybrid Jetta/Golf light for the Jetta IVs. They have amber turn signals, stronger lower supports, utilize the Golf projector, and have an angel eye standard. The projectors put out the same amount of light as normal 2.0 lights. I'm calling these new ones the Jetta 1.75.

Note that with this round of lights shipping is not included in prices. More information on shipping and pricing can be found on post #1 of this thread.
As always, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have about the lights.

Here are some photos of the 1.75 Jetta IV lights and the Jetta/Golf V

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It's good to see you back in the game! We are pleased with the lights we ordered from you and recommend them to others.

We did swap out the fog light projectors from the Depo lights because they were teh suck and replaced them with the Hella fog projectors from our e-Code lights. We will also be looking into replacing the HID lamps, as the ones provided seem to have some funky coloring (very cool) on the outsides of the beams, with the center of each beam being 4300 and a pretty strong color shift off center. I'll report my findings once we get a few things swapped out.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Nice to see you back, Jeff. My black Jetta above still sports those great lights. I have had several comments from passengers about how terrific they light up the road at night, and they look great in the housings. ;)

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Jeff, glad to see you back into this. I would, however, advocate the use of the 55w slim ballast for great light. The diff is night and day.

dislexicmofo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI GLS
I just wanted to toss in my two cents, we are working out some minor things but Jeff has been great to deal with. If you want some HID lamps for cheap(er) this is a pretty good way to get them.

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Jeff, is there a better bulb to be had for these housings? Don't get me wrong. These things rock. Id just like to squeeze a little more lumens out of the ballast if possible. (Without goi g to 55 watts of course)

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS

Can you elaborate a bit on this. I am brand new to these lights and have no idea how to adjust them properly.
Mi e seem to have hot spots just low of the cutoff.
Thanks.