SOLD: Heavily Modified 2005 4-door Golf TDI

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta; 2005 JSW; 2010 Touareg w/ Air
Fellow TDI Fans,

I recently bought a Certified 2013 Passat, and am considering letting someone else enjoy my Golf. This vehicle has been daily driven, and well cared for. I ran it on a drag strip one time after the turbo swap, but it has not been abused. I use Lubro Moly or Pentosin synthetic oils, and have been adding Lubro Moly's Ceratec with great results. All major service has been done by one of two Gurus around DFW, and I can work on compiling records.

I will get photos and more details added in the coming days, so subscribe to the thread if you are interested. I bought this car here on Fred's back in 2010 from the second owner who only had it for a couple of months and decided not to pursue turning it into a track car. It has gone through many additional modifications in the time I have owned it, and I like how it is currently set up. A new owner may want stiffer suspension, especially if the car will see track time, but I didn't care for the rough ride.

The car currently has ~187K on it. I will be doing some maintenance (oil change) and correcting a couple of issues (replacing valve cover assembly and possibly injector harness) before selling it, but want to leave some things (like tires) up to the next owner. I am open to offers, but am asking $7500.

I was able to find the original FS thread from 2010 for your reference: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=271179

If you like shiny transmission internals, check out the build thread for the ERF 6-speed in this car: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=180541

Here is a (mostly) comprehensive list of the current configuration:
VIN: 9BWGR61J754022968

Engine Bay:

Stock 1.9L TDI (BEW) Block, Pistons, Valves, and Cam (~187K)
*Timing belt will be due at 200K*
Nicktane 1-micron fuel filter kit (red)
PD 150 Injectors (recently swapped good used units from Darkside Developments)
New valve cover
New injector harness
Race pipe and PD150 intake
TDTuning custom tune
Turbo is a GTB2260vk with ceramic coating
Custom ceramic coated exhaust manifold and 3” down pipe
3” exhaust with Magnaflow muffler
4 Bar MAP sensor
R32 MAF housing
42DD CCV oil filter system with custom bracket
Intake box and snorkel from a Euro R32 DSG
FMIC
Custom 2.5” intercooler piping
Oversize windshield washer fluid bottle (5.5L)
1-year-old AGM battery

Drive Train:

Euro ERF 6-speed transmission
Cryo/heat treated and REM polished gears
Peloquin LSD
Southbend Stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel
VR6 Axles
Diesel Geek Sigma 6 short shifter
Braided clutch line

Exterior:

Candy White paint
Blue aspherical (blind spot) side mirrors
Enkei RPF1 17x7 Wheels
Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 225/45R17 94 W (just installed with new red RPF1 valve stem assemblies)
Diesel Geek Skid Plate with oil drain port
Lug Lock kit
Euro TDI logo
Hella Celis projector headlights with HID bulbs and glass lenses
Clear side markers
Hella Magic Colour RCCR tails
LED license plate lights
Shark fin antenna
Custom Black w/ red metallic flake paint on roof, side mirrors, and grille
OEM R32 front bumper (minor trim to fit custom piping)
Cupra R front lip spoiler (damaged and will be removed when bumper cover is repainted)
Sunroof deflector
Front window deflectors
Tinted windows (35% front and 15% rear)
Front license plate mount for tow-hook

Interior:

Mechanical Boost and EMP Gauges with EGT and IAT mounted in steering column pod
In-dash cup holder insert
Dash mounted SiriusXM cradle w/ AUX-in cable (can also be used for phone/iPod output to stock radio’s CD changer input)
Reiger illuminated shift knob
Euro Sport (red/black) Recaro seats
Black/Red front and center rear seat belts from 20th anniversary GTI (rear sides are black)
Black carpet
Black headliner, sunroof slider, and pillars
Black and Tan trim
Full brushed aluminum interior kit (dash, door latches, and grab handles)
Black sunglasses holder
Black leather door cards (3 pending install)
Gorilla rear mat with cargo blocks
Rubber (monster) floor mats
High-level signal to RCA tapped into Monsoon Amp output (some amps can take this as input)
JL Audio power wiring run to hatch (https://www.jlaudio.com/xd-pcs2-2b-car-audio-amplifier-connection-kits-90353)
Recently replaced in-tank lift pump and seal

Suspension:

Bilstien TC shocks and struts (installed a year ago with new bushings)
Stock springs (no more scraping the skid plate)
Neuspeed rear sway bar (adjustable)
Audi TT lower control arms and Powerflex LCA bushings
Powerflex front swaybar bushings
OEM rear beam bushings replaced in 2018
OEM Motor Mounts replaced in 2017
Powerflex dogbone inserts

Brakes:

337 Front and Rear GTI calipers (red) and rotors swap
Braided brake lines
OEM Brake pads and rotors (will need to be replaced sometime but still have plenty of pad)

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
is this the white one that is on the front page of the forum?

wait never mind....... 4dr

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
is this the white one that is on the front page of the forum?

wait never mind....... 4dr
Yes, it looks similar, but it is not the same car. I will take some current pictures and upload them soon.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
I am interested in seeing this pics....also confused with the "reserved" entry....I been around the forums for a while and do not know what that means.....pending sale perhaps?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I am interested in seeing this pics....also confused with the "reserved" entry....I been around the forums for a while and do not know what that means.....pending sale perhaps?
Probably means he's holding it for pics to be uploaded at a later date...

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
Probably means he's holding it for pics to be uploaded at a later date...

That is a valid assumption, and what I intend. I will have the car back home this weekend, so I will clean it up and get some pics taken.

Thanks for the interest and patience.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Pics would really help.

Any dyno numbers or MPGs?

How many miles have you put on this?

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
Pics would really help.

Any dyno numbers or MPGs?

How many miles have you put on this?

Apologies, I have been around long enough to know that pics are necessary in a FS thread. I have just been busy, and the weather has not cooperated with my plans to work on the Golf over weekends. I added a pic of the car as it sits now in post #2, and I will add more of engine bay and interior after I get them detailed.

This car has not been on a dyno since the GTB2260 swap, but it is making around 200 bhp. I would say torque is between 300 and 350 lb/ft. Fuel economy ranges between 36 and 40 MPG calculated, depending on how much highway driving I do. Average is around 38, but I am not a "hypermiler".

I bought this vehicle with 73K on it, so about 110K of the miles are mine. I actually found the original FS link and added it to my first post as well. That will give you an idea how the car has evolved while I have had it.

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
The Golf is running much better after a new(er) set of PD150 injectors from Darkside Developments (in the UK) were installed. It had a rough idle and miss on cylinder 2 when warm, which replacing the injector harness did not correct. The car is now running smooth, spooling faster, and making more power. I expect to see an improvement in MPG as well, but I will update results of the first tank after the swap.

I wanted to be sure it was in good working order before really trying to find it a new home, and I think it is ready. I will be detailing it and posting new pictures over the next week or two. Let me know if you have questions in the meantime. Thanks!

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
I am bumping this thread with updates to my original post, including an asking price drop, and more pics. I have only driven the Golf about 2K miles in the past year, so it would probably be happier with a new owner.

I just changed the oil and put new tires on it. They are inexpensive A/S tires, but I didn't want to invest in performance tires a new owner would not like.

As you can see from the pics, there is some rock chip/road debris damage to the front bumper cover and Cupra R lip. I am planning on getting the lip removed and bumper repainted soon, but would also hold off if a new owner wants to take care of it.

Thanks for looking!

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Lets get you back to earth, the car is 15 years old, if you really want to sell it you will have to eat all the extra's you put in it and take the first $3000 offer you get, for $8000 I can buy a 15 passat TDI.

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
Lets get you back to earth, the car is 15 years old, if you really want to sell it you will have to eat all the extra's you put in it and take the first $3000 offer you get, for $8000 I can buy a 15 passat TDI.
Thanks for your unsolicited input :rolleyes:, but I think you misunderstand how cars are valued. You may be able to find a high-mileage 2015 Passat for $8K, but there are also over 700 for sale at the moment. 20-30 of them are $8K or less. If you expand your search to include 2013-2015 models, there are over 5000 available for sale. I own a 2013 TDI SEL, and my folks have a 2015, so I am pretty familiar with post-buyback Passat values.

The Forum also has a 2005 Allroad BHW swap for sale right now, and the owner is asking $15K for that vehicle. It even has comparable mileage to the Golf offered here. Of course, I understand how rare a TDI Allroad is here in the US, but it is probably not much easier to find a 6-speed swapped MK4 in good condition and for sale. The value of my Golf will be determined by what someone is willing to pay for it, not by anyone else's opinion.

Clearly this is not the car for you, or anyone that thinks this vehicle is equivalent to a mostly-stock MK4 in similar condition. If I thought that it would only bring $3K I wouldn't sell it. It is still a lot of fun to drive, I just don't have much time to do so.

I get that it may not be worth $8K to a buyer, but that is why people negotiate prices. I am willing to accept less, but I am not going to give it away. I could probably part it out and get close to my target, but that would just be a time-consuming shame. Thanks for bumping my thread to the top, though!

If anyone is interested in getting more info or pics, or actually making an offer (even if you are just going to low-ball me like afarfalla would, I won't take offense), please post below or send me a PM!

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m not in the market, but am curious what it ran in the 1/4 mile if you don’t mind sharing. GLWS
The drag strip I ran it on was an 1/8 mile. I think I ran around 9 1/2-10 second passes, but I was logging data after the 2260 install for the tuner and not really focused on posting good times.

I never ran it on a track after getting the turbo dialed in, so I am not sure what it would do. It is quick though. Maybe I will get it on a dyno and post the results. :)

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
R u gonna mod the Passat TDI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably not. The Passat is a commuter car; I put about 36K on it in the last 18 months. I have eyed the DSG tunes, but I would wait until the CPO warranty ends before tuning it. If it was a 6-speed I may feel differently. :D

I am planning to get a Touareg for weekend fun and road trips. I sold 2 T2s to VW and knew I wanted to find a good one once they started to reappear on the market. I am close to working out a deal on one, so the Golf is getting pushed out of the garage.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Probably not. The Passat is a commuter car; I put about 36K on it in the last 18 months. I have eyed the DSG tunes, but I would wait until the CPO warranty ends before tuning it. If it was a 6-speed I may feel differently. :D

I am planning to get a Touareg for weekend fun and road trips. I sold 2 T2s to VW and knew I wanted to find a good one once they started to reappear on the market. I am close to working out a deal on one, so the Golf is getting pushed out of the garage.

For what it’s worth... I have a 15 Passat TDI. I’m up in north Texas. I haven’t had any issues getting warranty work done with my Malone tunes. I’m gonna do a DSG tune here shortly. I haven’t delete emissions yet cause I have the extended dieselgate warranty. But gonna do it soon since my warranty is almost expired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
sweet car! glws!
Thanks! I have definitely enjoyed it. My 5 y/o loves the way it pulls as the turbo spools (with the windows down it sounds like an 18-wheeler :D) and is lobbying against selling it, but he is already getting a bit big for the back seat and the Touareg would be a better fun vehicle for us.

I am only advertising on TDI Club right now, but may post it on Vortex and elsewhere soon. I also have a few friends that have seen and ridden in the car starting to spread the word.

I hope to send it along to another true TDI fan. It deserves to be cared for so it can give someone another decade of fun!

hyoomen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS 5-speed; indigo blue; ~180k miles; stock (*WRECKED*). 2002 Jetta 4spd Auto (01M), indigo blue, ~246k mi, stock
That's a pretty sweet ride. Wish I was in a better position to make an offer. Def deserves a loving home.

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a pretty sweet ride. Wish I was in a better position to make an offer. Def deserves a loving home.
Thanks, I agree. I am glad to see there are plenty of TDI fans left in TX. I will have to look out for a G2G soon.

mx07gt

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat TDI
Am I missing something here? Where did the pictures go? Im second guessing myself if I should go pick this up

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
Am I missing something here? Where did the pictures go? Im second guessing myself if I should go pick this up
Not sure what happened to the images. When I viewed earlier from my phone they did not show but they do now. I can also provide more if needed.

I am bringing the Touareg I bought up to date on service, so the Golf is getting booted. I have a good towing vehicle now, so I could always deliver. :cool:

mx07gt

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat TDI
i know it might sound like a weird question for this kinda car, but what kind of MPG are you getting?

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
i know it might sound like a weird question for this kinda car, but what kind of MPG are you getting?
Not a weird question, fuel economy indicates how well the car is running. After the PD150 injectors I got from Darkside were installed, it is back to the long run average of ~38 MPG.

I explained this in an earlier post, but it varies based on how much highway driving do. All highway is around 42 MPG, my normal mix (about 50/50) yields 38 MPG. As always, YMMV. I am a little heavy on the accelerator and like to hear the turbo spool, so it could get better fuel economy. I am not at all bothered by 38 MPG while making R32-level HP with torque to spare. :D

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Surprised this hasn't sold already.
@Sardo_67 this is the car you have always been waiting for going back years now!